Frank Lampard coming to MLS

madmonte

NYCFC has signed Frank Lampard.

So now David Villa (NYCFC), Kaka (Orlando) and Frank Lampard are joining a league that already has Defoe and Thierry Henry, and other names that people worldwide are familiar with like Robbie Keane, Clint Dempsey, Tim Cahill and Marco Di Vaio to name a few.

Holy.  Echos from the old NASL.  

Aging starts finding their best value is found cashing in their name by playing the ol' game in the New World. 

This is certainly starting to look like the NASL of old. I have no problem when the aging stars are enthousiastic about it and are contributing big time like Henry and Defoe but I think Lampard is just doing this for the paycheque. My biggest fear with this type of signing is that some owners will start to petition the league to add more DP spots. That will be a free for all if it happens. Have you all noticed that the number of International slots per team is very high? I thought this league was about developing American (and Canadian) talent. I guess they are going in an another direction...

^I've said before, I already think the disparity between incomes in the MLS is ridiculous.  Before they even CONSIDER doing that, they need to slightly raise the league minimum, and slightly increase the salary cap while doing so.  

Archived