Canada Soccer announces move to new timeframe for future Amway Canadian Championships

Why wont the CSA force "Canadian content" rules for the squads listed for the Voyageurs Cup?

If Tiebert is not healthy or in form then Vancouver might not play any Canadians at all. I would like to see young Canadin guys like Hamilton, Ouimette and Alderson get playing time in this competition.

TFC-Impact had 7 Canadians starting in the semi-final last year for each game. (If you consider Lefèvre as a Canadian, a guy who has lived here for 10+ years who started the second leg) Vancouver only went with Teibert, but IIRC, the only other Canadian (aka guy who can play for Canada and not guy who can't play for Canada but is considered a Canadian according to MLS/CSA) they had on that team was Simon Thomas. The Impact did stop playing Canadians in the final also except for Captain Bernier who lifted that trophy that was touched by the great Lord Bob himself. It's up to the teams, but given the hard calendar that MLS teams are on, I fully expect teams to play multiple Canadians this year because they won't bring their A-team (especially in the semi-final)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of shifting the competition to warmer weather and teams will be in mid-season form.

I agree with the points (to a degree) of teams losing players due to contracts, injuries etc. but they can also gain players (look at the hosts of the CHL's Memorial Cup each year ... teams are stacked with talent).  If a NASL team was to win, the chance for a player to play in the CCL would be a reason to sign a contract (maybe at lesser money).  MLS teams are always going to have a challenge with depth of squad due to the salary cap.  Time will change that.

I've always wanted the Voyageur Cup to be open to more teams.  This will make it harder to say no to expansion.  I feel that the PDL teams in Canada have been getting a raw deal for years.  It's really about building a base of fans, players and experience.  Even getting officials in more pressure games will help.  Hosting these games would improve venues and the staff at each of these teams.  So much to gain.

• 1 year later...

This is somewhat off-topic so I apologize - Is anyone here interested in starting FB supporters groups in potential NASL/C-league markets?  I just feel like we need to field of dreams this stuff for it to be a reality.  Right now is the best time to do this given the success of our MLS and NASL teams.  If you are interested, even if you aren't from the right city add me on facebook, it's Guillermo Del Quarto.  Lets stop sitting on our collective asses and make this happen.  Sitting is the new smoking folks.

It is far better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all.

O Canada.

Archived