F.C. Edmonton players and ex-coaches in Japan

They are safe and the F.C. Edmonton front office has been in contact with Hans. There season might be canceled due to the fact that over 10,000 Japanese will be reported deceased by weeks end.

The Canadian Red Cross is taking $5 donations from texts using Canadian cell phone companies.

Text ASIA to 30333 and after it reply's asking for a confirmation, then simply reply with the word YES.

Chances are you spend $7 on a pint without even thinking about it. $5 is not a lot, but it is, especially what it means when many people do it.

I dunno. The weekend games were obviously cancelled, but there hasn't been any talk (that I can find) about cancelling the rest of the season. Sometimes its better for places with disasters to have a positive event to focus on, so they may not cancel it after all.

Anyone with more information can feel free to correct me!

oh and I agree with Thursday. They'll need help.

I would reckon similar to Jedinathan,

The Kiwis have still attended the Cricket World Cup, Vittorri, their Captain,I believe is from the Christchurch area. Also, Christchurchs' Rugby Union Side, The Crusaders, are honouring their commitment to the souther Hemisphere Super Rugby Tournament by playing out of Nelson, whilst their home stadium (Lancaster park) is been evaluted for structural stability.

Not sure who called sport a "Glorious Distraction" but at times like these, the sentiment is often never so apt.

Upwards of half of the current J1 teams are located in areas which have been somewhat affected by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami. The percentage of J2 teams is about the same. JEF United's home city is Ichihara, where one of the big refinery fires broke out after the 'quake and it's not too far from the damaged nuclear power station. While I think that both J1 and J2 will probably go ahead this season after a couple of weeks off, a few teams will likely be playing a lot of matches away from home. JEF might miss a few home dates, but I think they will ultimately be back on the field.

So I guess Edmonton will have Lam at least for 2011

Lam is staying with JEF United for the remainder of the season - there has been no talk of releasing him to FC Edmonton. Their next two games have been postponed, but it is highly unlikely that the rest of the season will be cancelled. JEF United's stadium was not affected (other than their shop) and players have trained since the incident, although their training has again been postponed for the meantime mainly due to power shortages. Getting the league back up and running is obviously not the country's first priority, but so far there has been no mention of cancelling the season.

Lam is staying with JEF United for the remainder of the season - there has been no talk of releasing him to FC Edmonton. Their next two games have been postponed, but it is highly unlikely that the rest of the season will be cancelled. JEF United's stadium was not affected (other than their shop) and players have trained since the incident, although their training has again been postponed for the meantime mainly due to power shortages. Getting the league back up and running is obviously not the country's first priority, but so far there has been no mention of cancelling the season.

Okay good to hear! I'd like to see Lam stick in Japan

Lam's mentioned in this CBC article. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/15/f-rfa-hildebrandt-japan-tues.html

Looks like he's coming home, at least for a bit...

Edmontonian Matthew Lam, 21, arrived in Japan a month and a half ago to begin playing with Chiba prefecture's professional soccer team, Jef United. The team gave all players a week off because of the disaster.

"Normally I'd be gone for 11 months," said Lam. "It's a nice, unexpected break and a chance to see the family again."

Archived