Questions in regards to Mission: Moncton

Have the guys behind "Mission: Moncton" given any thought toward trying to build interest in an NASL club to snap up the Impact's vacant spot in 2012?

Given that Stade de Moncton seats 10,000, has natural grass, and the site will be a host in the 2015 Women's World Cup if we do indeed host the tournament, I'd say it's a viable option for consideration.

CF Olympiques Moncton, anyone?

The NASL is aimed at markets of more than 750,000 in terms of the USSF's D2 regulations although up to 25% of teams are allowed to be in smaller cities than that. Prime targets in Canada on that basis would be Edmonton, Calgary, Hamilton and Ottawa with even cities like Winnipeg and Quebec City probably needing exceptions. PDL is probably the obvious way to go in Moncton right now (yes I know about the CSA's moratorium), in my opinion, and before this goes in the predictable direction with nine Canadian franchises already on board numbers are getting close to the point where a separately branded CPDL could easily emerge.

Let's have a friendly there first and gauge the market.

I'd be all for full utilization of the stadium however it's accomplished, and PDL may make a lot of sense. It all comes down to travel costs versus level of financing / support available. If Moncton could generate a consistent 6k fan base they could look higher than PDL, but as I said before, let's run a few games there and see.

The major hurdle in setting up a team is overcome already in the creation of the SSS. It's only operating costs that have to be covered now to make any club viable.

The NASL is aimed at markets of more than 750,000 in terms of the USSF's D2 regulations (...)

New Brunswick has a population of 751,273 all within a reasonable distance of Moncton. The stadium seats ten thousand and has grass, I think we need to get a Canadian friendly and/or WCQ in Moncton to drum up some support for the idea. I don't know if the NASL would work in New Brunswick, but I think it's worth looking into. Atlantic Canada in general is starved for professional sports teams, so being the only game in town would provide a significant advantage in the market.

I'd be all for full utilization of the stadium however it's accomplished, and PDL may make a lot of sense. It all comes down to travel costs versus level of financing / support available. If Moncton could generate a consistent 6k fan base they could look higher than PDL, but as I said before, let's run a few games there and see.

Not trying to put down PDL here, but it is a youth league, and I think having a club with a senior men's side that could play in the NCC and bring teams like TFC, Impact, Whitecaps, and FCE to town would be a lot more attractive for fans than the PDL alternative. I guess my biggest problem with PDL as a metre-stick for potential attendance is just that it's too much of a smaller-scale league (from my perspective, at least) to really be indicative of what will happen when/if a real pro team shows up.

As the guy behind Mission Moncton, I can say no, I haven't given any thought to building interest in an NASL team, because I'm not really in a position to do so. I'm not in Moncton, nor do I have any connections to New Brunswick businesspeople who would be financing such a team... nor do I really know whether the market would support such a team at this point in time.

That being said, it would be good to see that nice new stadium being used for competitive soccer on a regular basis, whatever level it's at.

Archived