Suggestions for important steps to develop CDN talent aside from a pro CDN league

Soccerpro

Everyone knows that a fully professional Canadian league in this country would vastly improve the game in Canada. We can discuss all the hypotheticals surrounding such a league, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the horizon, or feasible, depending on who you talk to. So let's talk about smaller steps that would benefit the development of the beauitful game in this country. Here's my take:

1. Having Canadians count as domestic players on U.S MLS teams. I think this would be a massive step. I read that the reason this isn't looked at by Garber at the moment is because there isn't enough Canadian talent out there. I've also heard that this is impossible to implement due to U.S immigration laws. I don't know the real answer. All I know is that it will be a huge asset once we start developing more players in this country. Just because Toronto FC may think one of their academy products isn't good enough to make the first team, doesn't mean the Sporting KC, or the Philadelphia Union will feel the same way about that player, but likely only if that player doesn't take up an INTL spot.

2. CSA governance reform and CSA restructuring. it seems we are slowly progressing with the former, but not the later. If you haven't already done so, read Jason De Vos' latest blog post http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2011/01/us-soccer-progresses-while-canada-lags-behind.html. We need someone to design and implement a teaching curriculum for coaches dealing with youth players. We need some structure. We need to better educate coaches so they can instill the proper foundation on our youth players. 99.9% of youth coaches in this country don't even know they should have any other goal for their players than to win every game that they can when they shouldn't be concerned with winning or losing, just developing talent. I'd also like to have reps from this country's professional clubs have a role with the CSA about what changes they feel need to implemented to improve youth development in this country. Get rid of all the old hacks that have no real experience with the game and no value to contribute and start over. Get a Jason De Vos on the board of the CSA, get a Kara Lang on the board CSA. Hell, get a voyaguer to sit on the board of the CSA or be on a CSA committee. Professionals should be running the game in this country.

3. I'd love to see each province implement a full time soccer academy where kids go to school together and practice daily throughout the year simililar to the program implemented this year by the Manitoba Soccer Association: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/elite-soccer-school-a-kick-for-students-103696864.html. The more touches a youth gets in a week the better. This is one of the big complaints I've seen from pro players that grew up in Canada and have left for greener pastures in Europe. There you train 6 days a week. In Canada you train once or twice a week, especially outside of the summer time. This is the type of program that isnt prohibtively expensive or difficult to implement. In short, there's no reason not to do it.

4. Look for ways to engage the spectating public. Hell, look at some of the great kit designs that voyageurs came up with on this site, much better than the kits that were released last week. If you've got a great looking jersey, a hell of a lot more people are going to be wearing them and getting other people's attention= publicity + merchandise revenue.

I just felt like trying to provide some reaslitic, somewhat achievable goals to advance the game in this country. Feel free to suggest yours.

We need someone to design and implement a teaching curriculum for coaches dealing with youth players. We need some structure. We need to better educate coaches so they can instill the proper foundation on our youth players. 99.9% of youth coaches in this country don't even know they should have any other goal for their players than to win every game that they can when they shouldn't be concerned with winning or losing, just developing talent..

Your dead right on this comment, but to add to it we need a systemic change to what makes youth competitive teams competitive, we currently have too many teams with too few talented players knocking on the door to play.

So reduce the number of youth competitive teams to under 2 percent of player population, and allow teams to cut and replace players at will, i.e. let a coach name his best 11 every week from a pool of thirty players....that will get players.. competiting in practice not just catching some rays.

The comment about coach education is right on... we are spending lots of money on the wrong people trying to teach... we dont educate coaches we have them watch someone run a practice for two hours and call that a coaching conference it has and does add nothing to the depth of knowledge of coaches.

If you haven't already done so, read Jason De Vos' latest blog post http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2011/01/us-soccer-progresses-while-canada-lags-behind.html.

While I thought his blog was spot on, I had to chuckle at what seemed like the logical suggestion to follow - that the perfect person to fill the role he recommends would be, well... de Vos

• 8 months later...

Update on this post 10 months later:

I believe some progress is being made, especially this year, in changing the emphasis with youth coaching from winning at all costs to youth development in Canada. It seems that clubs like Oakville are leading the charge in this respect. There is definately an awakening in youth soccer circles this year as to what needs to be changed.

I believe the most pressing goal in Canadian soccer right now should be coaching education. This seems to be slowly changing. I'd also like to see a high level of coaching come in at a lot earlier stage in this country. ie - u9 and u10 teams rather than beginning at u12 and u13. I remember as a provincial team/youth player not getting an real training until u13. It seems like a lot of clubs are beginning u9, u10 "committed player" academy programs. This is the age group that has for the most part been ignored forever in this country. This is also the stage where the rest of the world is learning technique.

The remaining issue I see is making sure players get enough touches/practice in order to attain the requesite skill level. It seems that area is being served by club teams+ private academies+provincial programs for those that are lucky enought to have parents who can afford all of these options. Private academies are starting to pop up everywhere.Just playing on a basic club team, especially in the winter, doesn't provide enough time to gain a high enough skill level. Likewise if a provincial program is only 1 weekend a month, or once a week, I feel players aren't playing enough even in addition to their club teams Unfortunately, to be involved in all 3 programs, it's very expensive for parents. There is no solution to this problem yet. At least unlike 15 years ago, players can get enough soccer practice to raise and maintain their skill level.

Finally as posted above in the original post, I love what the MSA has done in creating a full time provincial soccer academy where players go to school together which allows them to train 5 days a week in addition to their club teams. This is what's needed across the country, but earlier than ages 15-18 if possible. Middle school would be the goal. |The great thing about this program is it's done in partnership with a public school so there is a very low cost. Hocky academies are popping up across, for example - http://www.maritimehockey.com/. It is paying big benefits. However, these programs cost huge bucks for hockey players.

So to sum up my post, I think progress is being made this year. Yes, the progress isn't as fast as we would like but soccer people in this country are starting to "get it".

Generally I agree.

However, re: #1 - the main reason Canucks don't count as domestic on American MLS teams is because MLS is an American league for American players. Fair enough. The very fact that there maybe aren't all that many Canadians good enough for MLS is exactly a reason why Canadians could be considered domestic in USA, not the other way around. If Canada had a plethora of talent then I can see such a ruling make sense.

Soccer Academies and schools in each province is great - but we need more than one. We need one in every major city and any other city that wants to run such a program - ie, a region like the Okanagan has a thriving soccer community but all the best players are spread out about an hour-ish apart. Developing a program in the Okanagan where all the kids move to one community and train together would improve their situation greatly. The same would apply to Vancouver Island where the upper Island kids are 3-ish hours from Victoria....(namely Nanaimo). Credit to Highlanders for creating/supporting Mid Isle FC in that regard.

But yes, coach education has to come before we expect player education/development. And yes, the best coaches should be teaching the 7-12 year olds not the 13-18 year olds. This can be stated simply because we don't have enough "top" coaches to cover 7-18 year olds. So they need to be focused on a specific group....It's fair to say, in Vancouver, Greater Vancouver, and Fraser Valley the "top" clubs are assigning the best coaches they can to these younger age groups. Though not in every club - which is down to what coaches the club has available (volunteers, parent-coaches etc)....

CSA needs to develop a Hockey Canada-type web page where all coaches can sign in and see what sessions they should be running for what age group....

Oh, and Uno is right - it's gotta somehow become free to a large degree....seems like a pipe-dream....I guess there must be more pro clubs to make that a reality.

I think CSA or regional soccer associations should sponsor it. And if player from academy sponsored by CSA transfers to pro club there should be a transfer fee.

It's only a matter of sponsor attraction.

In that case, if Canada qualifies to World Cup it may help CSA to get new sponsors for that free kids programme.

Generally I agree.

However, re: #1 - the main reason Canucks don't count as domestic on American MLS teams is because MLS is an American league for American players. Fair enough. The very fact that there maybe aren't all that many Canadians good enough for MLS is exactly a reason why Canadians could be considered domestic in USA, not the other way around. If Canada had a plethora of talent then I can see such a ruling make sense.

Soccer Academies and schools in each province is great - but we need more than one. We need one in every major city and any other city that wants to run such a program - ie, a region like the Okanagan has a thriving soccer community but all the best players are spread out about an hour-ish apart. Developing a program in the Okanagan where all the kids move to one community and train together would improve their situation greatly. The same would apply to Vancouver Island where the upper Island kids are 3-ish hours from Victoria....(namely Nanaimo). Credit to Highlanders for creating/supporting Mid Isle FC in that regard.

But yes, coach education has to come before we expect player education/development. And yes, the best coaches should be teaching the 7-12 year olds not the 13-18 year olds. This can be stated simply because we don't have enough "top" coaches to cover 7-18 year olds. So they need to be focused on a specific group....It's fair to say, in Vancouver, Greater Vancouver, and Fraser Valley the "top" clubs are assigning the best coaches they can to these younger age groups. Though not in every club - which is down to what coaches the club has available (volunteers, parent-coaches etc)....

CSA needs to develop a Hockey Canada-type web page where all coaches can sign in and see what sessions they should be running for what age group....

#1 - I agree with your suggestion - re Hockey Canada type web page where all caoches can sign in and see what sessions they should be running for what age group. This is a great suggestion. There's no reason this can't be implemented......right now.

I understand what you are saying with these provincial academies. However, I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. It's unrealistic to have provincial associations setting these up in several cities in a province. In the future it would be great, but right now, I'd like to see as least one in every province, especially in provinces with no MLS clubs.

I appreciate what people are saying when they talk about waiving costs for players who can't afford it. However, solutions are needed in this country. How do we do that? That's what we're short on. I don't think the CSA or regional soccer programs can afford to sponsor kids. They have no money as it is. I agree, it can be a matter of sponsor attraction, but by saying make the world cup in order to get sponsors is putting the cart before the horse.

I feel what I've put forward in my post are quality, realistic recommendations.

How does Manitoba justify using the funds from 99.9% of its registrants to fund .1%?? That is the argument some might make.

How do other provinces justify using funds from 99.9% of its registrants to go towards .1% of its players who are on provincial teams??

Upon doing more internet research about this subject it appears that a lot more progress is being made than I thought. For example my former home of N.S has 7 regional training centers throughout the province with full time qualified technical directors, almost all have indoor turf soccer facilities, clubs are amalgamating to create a higher level of competititon at the tier one level (ie 7 or 8 N.S.S.L teams in a division rather than 12 or 13 when I played in the mid to late 90's), each club is focusing on u8, u10 academy programs to develop tecnical skills at an early age. It seems that club teams are adopting and implementing the LTPD from the CSA and investing in coaching. As well, provincial and NTC programs are giving kids more exposure with visiting coaches rotating through out the country. I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

The 3 areas I'm still seeing glaring weaknessess in are:

1. Pathway to professional or higher level soccer in many Provinces still does not exist as well all know.

2. Cost is prohibitive to many youths.

3. Are kids getting enough opprtunities to train in order to develop? ie - more than 2-3 times a week (especially in non summer months) ie when I was a youth player in the 90's. While cost is still a predominant factor in this area, it appears between playing on club teams, club academies, regional training centers, private academies and provincial teams, many kids are able to play 5 days in order to gain proper technique. This is encouraging to me, because I didn't have these options 10-15 years ago. Although I'm not sure my parents had the money or commitment in any event. I don't know what the standard is these amongst clubs, but I would like to see a defined training to game ratio at clubs. It used to be that young teams practiced once a week indoors and played once a week in the winter for their club team. I don't see the cost rising all that much higher if teams booked a high school gym for an additional practice each week etc. I also see a partial solution in having provincial associations partnering with a public school for academies which would ensure 5 days of training a week.

I find this subject fascinating. I've been listening to the CSN coaching series lately, the question I have is will raising the quality of the game in this country by improving coaching and training standards make any difference if there is no professional pathway to continue for most kids in this country, ie to a kid in Newfoundland or Sask vs. that kid playing junior hockey and getting to the NHL.

How do other provinces justify using funds from 99.9% of its registrants to go towards .1% of its players who are on provincial teams??

Um....what?

Anyone on the provincial team has to pay through the nose to be on the provincial team. The staff coach salaries are then covered by a variety of other things - coaching licensing "courses"...and who knows what else. I am sure some comes from player registrations though.

• 3 weeks later...

My "blueprint" to improve the game in Canada:

1. Have a training to game ratio of at least 3-1 for the top program in each club's age levels beginning at u10.

2. Reduce the number of fixtures in in each provincial top tier league: ie only 15 games a summer rather than 30. Games every Saturday, train during the week.

3. Mandatory LTPD coaching session(s) for anyone coaching - ie mini's.

4. Really push training certification for coaches, give them as many resources as possible. Provide more clinics and provide a training "book" to each coach with drills and advice.

5. Have at least one paid technical director at every club.

6. Begin higher level training at earlier age groups - ie age 8-9 and up, rather than starting at u13 or u12.

7. Play futsal at every club.

8. Encourage attacking football. Instruct coaches to never utilize defensive formations for results.

9. Encourage development over winning.

10. Have clubs dictate a set formation for every team in the organization - ie a 4-3-3. (Claudio Reyna's suggestion as U.S soccer's TD). This encourages offensive play.

11. Don't have score or keep standings for younger ages.

12. Play more small sided games in training, especially with younger players.

13. Increase the number of touches young players get in training.

14. Have paid coaching staff be more "hands on" with younger age groups

If these suggestions were followed in this country over the last 15 years we would be in a much better position going forward...

The good news is that in the last year or two clubs all around the country are starting to adopt these points.

soccerpro -

re: 1 - in which leagues is this NOT happening?? (referring to Elite). Given BC only started 3:1 this September with the new BCPL as mandatory.

re: 2 - 15 games for a summer....seems insufficient but then again summer is a relatively short period in other places. I understand.

re: 9 - Easy to say, tough to get coaches to implement (especially volunteer coaches). Some suggest it is actually tougher to get paid pro coaches to focus on the development more than winning because they are there as paid coaches expected to win.

re: 10 - I like that suggestion. My club somewhat promotes 4-4-2 but has no issue with adaptations based on need and what sort of players each team has. Even Mr. Winter adapted TFC this year from his 4-3-3!

re: 11 - I love this suggestion. It happens here until u11. At u12 the scores and standings are kept. I wish they were not kept at all right up until u13 when competitive leagues start - and even at u13 maybe don't keep standings for the mid-level to lower tiers until u14 is my suggestion. This way the kids playing mid-level u13 are in a development-focused environment and you might find more late bloomers pop up.

Futsal is a great recommendation...facilities can be an issue there.

Yes, it is good news that these standards are increasing. Here in lower mainland BC these points are being pretty much universally promoted right on club web pages for all to see (though individual teams within clubs may not always follow them - but that's just reality).

The ones I didn't comment on are being pretty much done here in BC....with improvements ongoing.

I am pleased to say that my club has given me a "development at all costs, win at no costs" kind of approach. Basically they want me developing as many players as possible to enter the elite Premier League level at u13 from our club rather than relying out out of towners - which makes sense for player retention. (I'll take district partner players without hesitation if they tryout of course and are good enough). ps-it's good they don't want wins because we aren't getting many of them! :)

soccerpro -

re: 1 - in which leagues is this NOT happening?? (referring to Elite). Given BC only started 3:1 this September with the new BCPL as mandatory.

re: 2 - 15 games for a summer....seems insufficient but then again summer is a relatively short period in other places. I understand.

re: 9 - Easy to say, tough to get coaches to implement (especially volunteer coaches). Some suggest it is actually tougher to get paid pro coaches to focus on the development more than winning because they are there as paid coaches expected to win.

re: 10 - I like that suggestion. My club somewhat promotes 4-4-2 but has no issue with adaptations based on need and what sort of players each team has. Even Mr. Winter adapted TFC this year from his 4-3-3!

re: 11 - I love this suggestion. It happens here until u11. At u12 the scores and standings are kept. I wish they were not kept at all right up until u13 when competitive leagues start - and even at u13 maybe don't keep standings for the mid-level to lower tiers until u14 is my suggestion. This way the kids playing mid-level u13 are in a development-focused environment and you might find more late bloomers pop up.

Futsal is a great recommendation...facilities can be an issue there.

Yes, it is good news that these standards are increasing. Here in lower mainland BC these points are being pretty much universally promoted right on club web pages for all to see (though individual teams within clubs may not always follow them - but that's just reality).

The ones I didn't comment on are being pretty much done here in BC....with improvements ongoing.

I am pleased to say that my club has given me a "development at all costs, win at no costs" kind of approach. Basically they want me developing as many players as possible to enter the elite Premier League level at u13 from our club rather than relying out out of towners - which makes sense for player retention. (I'll take district partner players without hesitation if they tryout of course and are good enough). ps-it's good they don't want wins because we aren't getting many of them! :)

That's great to hear that you live in a progressive region that is for the most part adopting these principles.

re #1: Having lived in the Maritimes playing Tier 1 I know that especially in the winter club teams only trained once a week and played once a week. Any additional training was done outside the club structure (regional training center, provincial team). I feel quite confident that outside larger centers, 3-1 training to game ratio is not being followed in this country.

sorry to kick a dead horse for a second, I just realized I probably could add one thing without going off the topic: If we could encourage clubs, even in amateur leagues, to go officially semi pro (even without minimum number of contracts and whatnot) just to win, a few others might join. Then, even if you only have 10 contracts for 3 000 or 5 000 over like 8 teams, at least your making it a little easier for 10 guys in your area to focus on their game.

I also think that if you can stably(?sp?) 'pyramid up' any suitable area's to quickly create higher levels where travel permits (I'm pretty much saying cooperation between competing leagues might bring more benefits then collusion ahaha)

edit: sorry if that was off topic, I meant make semi pro teams and leagues where applicable as an alternative to 'pro cdn league', maybe I'm being too literal

@ soccerpro - could that low ratio have to do with winter conditions and lack of facilities??? as opposed to a lack of desire to increase the ratio?

@ Juby - I'd support my local men's amateur premier side paying players to increase the level of play. But it is only worthwhile if it's for proper semi-pro level guys, not just paying your buddies who have been good players in the team for a long time. (historically this would be a major issue re: NCAA rules but those have adapted somewhat....)

@ Juby - I'd support my local men's amateur premier side paying players to increase the level of play. But it is only worthwhile if it's for proper semi-pro level guys, not just paying your buddies who have been good players in the team for a long time. (historically this would be a major issue re: NCAA rules but those have adapted somewhat....)

It's a fair point, I'd suggest though that long term, most paid spots tend to go to more talented players as the paid positions become more widely known, this comes as people point strong kids in that direction and hopefully the rewardesque type contracts eventually get replaced with future minded ones, tbh though it doesn't really bother me if a few old vets get paid to get a few kids paid (and it's also why a few areas might boil down to a dozen contracts, league wide). Also the paying sides usually get their pick of the litter so they'll be doubly tempted to not reward loyalty (as bad as that sounds). I'm not really argueing, I just personally think it'll do more good then harm.

@ soccerpro - could that low ratio have to do with winter conditions and lack of facilities??? as opposed to a lack of desire to increase the ratio?

You can always rent school gyms in the winter. It's nothing to do with winter conditions and lack of facilities. It's lack of desire. There needs to be a change of mentality outside the big centers to set the expectation of training 3 times a week. It's also a matter of convincing the parents too. As well as increased costs.

this isn't just for soccer, but all sport in canada

when the aussie didn't win 1 gold in the 76 olympics in montreal, it was thought to be a national embarassment...this led to the development and creation of the Australian Institute of Sport...the simple answer is Canada needs to create one of their own in a centralized location

Ya, I don't really an argument with some guys getting paid a bit to help increase the level of play....but to make a proper go of it it needs to be a league-wide initiative I think....ie, 4 semi-pro paid guys per team....? Regardless, that would then mean the team loses amateur status and thus could they even continue in their local premier league? IE, lots of people upset with a team called POCO (Port Coquitlam) here in BC as they suspect they are paying players......I personally couldn't care less but then again I don't play in the league and get my arse kicked by them! They have Kevin Harmse on their team for example....

I doubt they are paying anyone - maybe hired them to work though?

Archived