CSL rumblings in Ottawa

Lovethegame!

Umm ... yes. The CSL itself announced back in the fall that Erin Mills (Mississauga), Pickering, Kitchener and Ottawa were approved for new franchises in 2011. Now we've learned Windsor is back in as well. No news about Ottawa since, though (nickname, owner, where they will play, etc.).

Umm ... yes. The CSL itself announced back in the fall that Erin Mills (Mississauga), Pickering, Kitchener and Ottawa were approved for new franchises in 2011. Now we've learned Windsor is back in as well. No news about Ottawa since, though (nickname, owner, where they will play, etc.).

Maybe worth bearing in mind that it was only "conditional" approval and the then commissioner would have had an obvious motive for talking up the prospects for 2011 expansion as much as possible at that point given he had been predicting a large influx of teams from eastern Ontario and Quebec.

Maybe worth bearing in mind that it was only "conditional" approval and the then commissioner would have had an obvious motive for talking up the prospects for 2011 expansion as much as possible at that point given he had been predicting a large influx of teams from eastern Ontario and Quebec.

This is entirely speculation, but based on the lack of any apparent momentum out of Pickering, I'm wondering if Di Gironimo might've crossed a line with regards to the equity owners by announcing the expansion teams at the cup final. Most leagues that want to up the ante as far as professional appearance is concerned wait until things are set in stone before announcing them.

Either way, with regards to Ottawa, in London the other week, Jazbec indicated it was a go. If Pickering isn't happening, I can't say I'm entirely unhappy, I think if Durham is getting a club it ought to be based in Whitby, Ajax, or Oshawa, as they're the real population centres in the county and the areas with higher concentrations of youth soccer to draw upon.

I'm a little piped about Pickering not happening. Isn't Pickering's population larger than Whitby and almost the same as Ajax? I think Oshawa makes the most sense in terms of having a team in Durham, more of actual city with some identity than just a continuation of the urban sprawl.

Wondering if one team or two a year is the way to go. I want expansion like everyone else, but too quick may hurt these new teams.

Plus, we need to concentrate on some teams from Quebec, if we CSL fans want to see expansion out west.

Archived