Newest FIFA rankings - Canada 101...

tovan1

If my calculations are correct, and Ukraine does not move too drastically in the next ranking, three victories in our friendlies should give Canada about 515-520 points, good for about 63-67 in the rankings and would put us about 5th in CONCACAF.

3 victories are unlikely as it is... what we really need is a good Gold Cup we can't depend on friendly wins to boost our ranking and we generally aren't as good in friendlies as Gold Cup matches

3 victories are unlikely as it is... what we really need is a good Gold Cup we can't depend on friendly wins to boost our ranking and we generally aren't as good in friendlies as Gold Cup matches

Yes, I know three victories are unlikely, but just mapping out a best-case scenario. I think we will gain ground in the next few rankings whether we win or lose as our dismal WCQ performances from '08 become weighted less on our ranking. I know these rankings are not really useful in actually determining the relative strength of a national squad, but they are used to determine seedings so they are important.

We definitely need to have another good Gold Cup performance, and at least a semi-final spot should be our goal. However, it's the WC qualifiers that really kill us, as they are worth more than twice as much as friendlies, and Canada has been putting up goose eggs since 1997. I think a spot in the Hex (or whatever they may call it if the format changes) should be an attainable goal, especially if Canada ends up in the top 8 and we don't get drawn into a group of death like we did last time.

Archived