New channel: EuroWorld Sport

DJT

I've been watching channel on and off for the past few weeks. Mostly the replay of Europa Cup games that I didn't get much of chance to follow last winter. I'd say so far so good, the matches were quite good. I also liked the segment on Ligue 1 and especially the ligue 1 all-stars. It was the first that I have heard of Eden Hazard who some are calling the next Messi. The channel is free so far, but I am not quite sure that I would be willing to pay for it.

Must say that Gol TV has become a staple for me. Since I am down at the Ex for almost every game, GOL TV has become the only opportunity to see matches, replays of goals and controversial calls. I don't have FSWC anymore and I do miss their highlight show but most of the other stuff during the week was mostly replays of previously televised matches.

Gol TV has to be the channel of choice for Canadian content. For non TFC fans, yes its a lot TFC stuff, but they have had recent half hour interview segments with the Bob Lennarduzzi, even Nick Desantis and today, I even saw a segment on Ethan Gage. Where else are you going to get that from?

The challenge for any new soccer channel in Canada is going to be: How much can you afford for Content? The soccer audience is definitely out there but its extremely fragmented. How much will it cost to secure the rights to the big leagues and what audience can you get.

How many people are going to subscribe to a channel for just the French league and Europa games? Free Kick is right, we're getting to many channel with too little content. There's still lots of leagues that don't even get shown. I see streams of the Dutch and Belgian leagues with English commentary all the time, why can't one of these channels pick them up?

How many people though, will be watching 4 or 5 leagues. I get GOL for one league ... MLS. I get Setanta for one league ... EPL. If I was a Ligue 1 fan, or a Liverpool fan, I'd happily drop $2.79 ... even if it was only for 1 game a month.

The big question ... how much?

^Well, I guess it's all a question of how much football you want to watch. I watch lots and could watch more. I just think Europa League and Ligue 1 is a very thin core to basis a channel around. There's enough content for two good channels out there now and it's being spread across four.

A little OT, but today and yesterday, when I go to the EuroWorld channel, it won't tune in. Is his happening to anyone else?

Archived