Kick up spending in soccer

Pawel

While this funding increase would certainly be welcome, are there current untapped income streams that can be utilized by the CSA? I mean lets look at senior mens team friendlies. If they can sell these games out on a continual basis given the new "Atmosphere" for these games that seems to have been created in T.O anyway(since the Canada Jamaica WCQ qualifier at BMO), would this not be a new stream of income allowing them to in turn, to host more friendlies and hopefully sell more merchandise. (I know friendlies in Canada aren't new, but perhaps selling them out, no matter the opponent, is.) If done correctly would these not lead to more marketing value and dollars from corporate sponsorship?

I'd love for the CSA to get more money but some how I think they would still be just as ineffective. Where do you think this money would go? Towards a residential Bradenton type program for youth national team players? Towards developing elite coaching in Canada? To giving youth national teams a couple extra games or a year? Senior friendlies? I get the feeling it wouldn't be put to anything dramatically effective in helping to produce future MNT players.

Somehow, I don't think the CSA would get the most out of the additional funding, I think they'd more or less waste it, with delegations of 20 officials for youth team friendlies, etc etc. Our elite players would still be getting below par coaching, with too few touches on the ball every week, with the same systemic problems with identifying talent etc etc

I want governance reform before anything. I'd much rather we have the government intervene in the CSA the way the Australian government did with their FA, before we get the corresponding Australian type government funding boost.

A provincial system to identify talent and stream it to top teams varies from place to place.

In a recent conversation with a parent at my senior men's game, he indicated his son was invited to the Manitoba provincial team U16 tryout, he made the team. They then asked him for $1500 to participate in tournaments, he didn't have the money, so couldn't join the team. Should players who participate in provincial programs be asked to pay? In some of the club models in Europe, you don't pay for training. Funding needs to be improved to these type of programs so the best players participate.

Provincial programs should be free. Period. Saying "hey, our NTC is made up of the very best players selected from the rigorous provincial team tryouts" and yet kids are cut from provincial teams due to inability to pay is a joke.

I asked BC Soccer why there were no "scouts" at the recent Provincial B Cup where you have teams from Nelson, Terrace, etc at this thing. Certainly a few worthwhile players on these teams, but none have the opportunity to attend BC team tryouts of course. Yet they have loads of potential. Different discussion, I suppose. I have had no response from BCSA.

As soon as you expect participants to bear the costs it becomes a case of selecting players based on ability to pay rather than ability to play. Imagine if our senior MNT and WNT were selected on that basis!

I am not suggesting that everybody who wishes to try out should have a free ride, but once selected to the roster all participation expenses should be covered including the cost of getting to team assembly points and starting with provincial all-star teams.

Archived