Stephen Hart in Winnipeg

redhat

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone actually make this? I'd heard that the SSA had thought about booking Stephen for this, but MSA beat them to the chase I guess. We had our AGM this past weekend as well, but didn't manage to have any guest speakers of the same level as Stephen would have been.

On a side note, does anyone have any contact information for the adult district associations in Manitoba? The MSA is good for nothing when it comes to getting info, and all the Brandon site I find are either for youth or for Brandon, Florida. Winnipeg is tough to find online as well.

Earlier in the week it was announced that Stephan will guest on the Fox Soccer Report on FSWC with Bobby McMahon on Friday.

I watched the first few minutes of it.

Said that Canada can make it in 2014, but it will be hard. There are less professional players than when he first came to Canada (true) and perhaps even less than when Holger was here (b.s.). Says it is a good thing that we will have 3 MLS teams, but that we need more than that - players need more places to play.

Says the game has become a victim of it's popularity at the grassroots level, we do not have the structural capacity for the amount of players registered. There are not enough good coaches and therefore we are stretched too thin. Elite player development has taken a back seat and that needs to be corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in seeing what his ideas are in regards to changing the focus from rec to player development. A nagging voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that giving him the coaching role wasn't the right move considering what he could do for the game as the CSA's TD.

I feel the same way, he's much more replaceable as the coach then as TD. IMO he's a decent coach with an excellent football mind who connects well with people and get his ideas across. He's also very realistic about the game here in Canada and knows what is achievable and what isn't. He would have done alot for the development of the game here in Canada. Let's just hope he gets us to Brasil 2014.

If Hart fails to take us to 2014 I assume he would be reinstated as TD so I don't see much risk in the situation. Either way I agree that Hart has a lot of value to the Canadian set up in general.

So we go another 2 1/2 years without a TD just in case Hart fails as a coach? No. We hire a qualified TD, give him a long-term deal and let him execute the LTPD blueprint.

Archived