Futsal reffing scandal

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

In the quarter finals a few days ago of the European futsal championship, Russia and Spain went to penalties. Spain scored on their last to win the game, but the French and Croat refs denied it. Both refs have been thrown out of the tournament for their error, which did not affect the final result as the Russians shot to win it and missed. They have been criticized for not admitting what they all knew and saw, that the shot was in, and trying to score anyways instead of kicking it out. If they had not missed the scandal would have been enormous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYdUgNJuYE

This is the state of UEFA and FIFA, letting reffing errors distort the sport. Football is no better. At least a basic camera behind a goal, video replay for this at least? Or a ref able to see when a ball goes in or doesn't. I mean, the keeper saw it was in. This is the best vid on youtube, the comments are harsh but probably deserving.

Spain and Portugal play the final this weekend.

PS. after posting I have looked on the UEFA site and there is nothing about this in the game report, it is a total whitewash report. Under Platini, not only in football but in futsal, European reffing is going downhill fast, I believe because his administration is using refereeing to try to balance competitions and attack certain traditional powers. How else could you justify ignoring the biggest reffing error in UEFA futsal history on the UEFA site?

I can see why they made that mistake, it's a case of thinking the ball it the underside of the bar and bounced out. Well,they were wrong!

I think the refs position is odd. One should be line with the goal line to see if the cross it or not.

I think the comments are out of line. If there is proofs it was fixed and the ref was part of it, the comments would be OK but in this case it looks more like a ref making a mistake more than anything else. I love how everyone becomes a thief and a fraud everytime a ref makes a mistake. I really doubt this is the case here and that it came from Platini and his administration.

I always feel for those refs who make big mistake like this one because it is often unfair to them. I don't know in this case, but a lot of time you see a very competent ref making a big error like the Henry handball that will probably give him 0 chance to ref at the WC.

I can see why they made that mistake, it's a case of thinking the ball it the underside of the bar and bounced out. Well,they were wrong!

I think the refs position is odd. One should be line with the goal line to see if the cross it or not.

I think the comments are out of line. If there is proofs it was fixed and the ref was part of it, the comments would be OK but in this case it looks more like a ref making a mistake more than anything else. I love how everyone becomes a thief and a fraud everytime a ref makes a mistake. I really doubt this is the case here and that it came from Platini and his administration.

I always feel for those refs who make big mistake like this one because it is often unfair to them. I don't know in this case, but a lot of time you see a very competent ref making a big error like the Henry handball that will probably give him 0 chance to ref at the WC.

You hit the nail right on the head. Where the referee is standing it would be difficult to see if the ball went in or not in such a rapid sequence. In regular soccer you have your AR standing on the goal line at the T. Not being familiar with Futsal, don't know if they have another referee acting as linesman or not.

Wow. Makes you think they should have some instant reply.

Reminds me of the penaly at the African cup of nations last night. Does anyone know if it is legal to stop short like that? if so, why doesn't everyone do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSazglVFvAo

Guidelines for referees are that the approach to a PKs must be done as a single uninterrupted motion. Some kickers use a little hesitation during their approach which in my view is stretching the laws. But coming to a full stop is not to be allowed. Kick must be retaken if scored and player cautioned.

Guidelines for referees are that the approach to a PKs must be done as a single uninterrupted motion. Some kickers use a little hesitation during their approach which in my view is stretching the laws. But coming to a full stop is not to be allowed. Kick must be retaken if scored and player cautioned.

The referee does have discretion, from FIFA laws of the game "Interpretation of the Laws of the Game and guidelines for referees".

Very Grey.

Feinting to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted as part of

football. However, if, in the opinion of the referee, the feinting is considered an

act of unsporting behaviour, the player must be cautioned.

Guest Jeffery S.

The play was repeated on the big screen in the arena, all fans, coaches, and players who did not see it go in along with the ref saw it go in on the replay. For a futsal ref it is disgraceful anyways, they are trained to see fast play and that kind of rebound happens all the time. That neither caught it was very suspicious, which is why there was speculation about something fishy going on. And why both were sent home in disgrace, when the Croat especially was slated to ref the final.

Turns out they say Javi Rodriguez, who made that penalty kick, had never missed a penalty in an official match, he is a senior Spanish team member and has been world champ.

Spain won the final 4-2 over Portugal, Rodriguez scoring a beauty on a back heel with his back to the goal.

Archived