Implementing an academy league in Canada

Just read the blogs by Jason de Vos re: fixing Canadian soccer at

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/_soccer/jason_de_vos/

and he has suggested the implementation of an academy system to develop Canada's elite players for soccer.

I know the Soccer Academy Alliance of Canada (SAAC) has started down this path.

But there is one existing network that could also be used : the CIS/university system. Would it not be viable for university clubs like the U de M Carabins to have an academy for 13-17 yr olds where elite talent could train at the university during the summer months?

Would it be sensible for university teams to have an academy system like the Edmonton Green and Gold already do?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of this be?

I open the board and this topic to debate and discussion.

I appreciate your thoughts into getting g something serious going, what I don't get is this north american notion that elite soccer should go together with university or college. How many pro soccer players in the world have a university or college degree? probably less than 1%, what is the point of training properly for a few month in the year? anybody who wants to become a professional player should train properly 12 months a year and once they become pros then they will have to train properly for 11 months a year, that is the reality of pro sports. The top north american athletes that got in through college or university, did it cheating on their grades and they have no clue about what happen in the classroom during those years when they were at college.

Becoming a professional athlete IS A FULL TIME COMMITMENT and you need to be 100% focus into it or you'll never make it. If you want to have potential pro soccer players becoming fully professionals, then that's what you should focus on, teach them everything that is require to become one, there's always time in life, to go back to school.

SAAC is doing the right thing they just need to have their senior teams playing in the CSL.

I think the thought is that the infrastructure is already there; fields, classrooms, dorms, weights, coaches etc. All of it is unused (for the most part) from May-August. It sould be a cheap way to develop talent. UNB's team is basically the Fredericton Reds during the summer, so is senior soccer all that senior?

Maybe the CSA needs to negotiate with the CIS to lighten it's student rules and allow part-time student to play. Extend the season from May-Oct.

Listening to the TFC Academy comments regarding the CSL, I agree, more clubs need to get into the CSL.

The advantage of the college and high school integrations like the Whitecaps have done is the cost is negligible if anything as opposed to $10,000 per year. If we have already tax-paid for public use of all this school infrastructure (and salaries), why are we putting the cost back on kids to replace it?

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

You may also want to read this OSA report

WOW!!! an other angle for the OSA people to keep justifying their jobs, sorry guys, this is just more of the same bs you've been coming up with for the last 40 years. Stop insulting our intelligence and just get out of the way of progress. Leave players development to the people who knows how to do it, all of you already prove to everybody that you're incapable of developing anything.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

The advantage of the college and high school integrations like the Whitecaps have done is the cost is negligible if anything as opposed to $10,000 per year. If we have already tax-paid for public use of all this school infrastructure (and salaries), why are we putting the cost back on kids to replace it?

Simply because the top coaches in our province aren't either working for any chool infrastructure system or the OSA, that's why. Top coaches need to get pay to do a good job and the OSA is not interested in shearing the coin from their piggy bank with "OUTSIDERS".

quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

You may also want to read this OSA report

Not a bad idea and it doesn't require re-inventing the wheel. Also, despite London to Quebec City being a trek i think a combined 12 team league integrated with Quebec is a good idea.

The problem as Vic mentioned is that the cost is exorbitant, i doubt i'd want to fork out 10K for my kid to play in this league. It would be similar to a hockey family forking that amount out for their kid to play Junior hockey. The OSA would have to find a way to absorb a significant portion of the costs to make this work.

Archived