Saputo's Apology

The following video shows Joey Saputo's apology to the fans and the Whitecaps that he gave at half-time of the Impact-Vancouver game. I find it to be a good apology and heartfelt. My only criticism is that he puts too much of the blame on the players and not enough on the coach and manager. I think the players on the field tried their best. The players on the field just were not good enough to be competitive with TFC unlike those who played Saturday. The blame for that lies entirely with Marc Dos Santos and Nick De Santis.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The following video shows Joey Saputo's apology to the fans and the Whitecaps that he gave at half-time of the Impact-Vancouver game. I find it to be a good apology and heartfelt. My only criticism is that he puts too much of the blame on the players and not enough on the coach and manager. I think the players on the field tried their best. The players on the field just were not good enough to be competitive with TFC unlike those who played Saturday. The blame for that lies entirely with Marc Dos Santos and Nick De Santis.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Ya, Grizz, I tend to agree. My honest opinion is that the players on the field did their best and to be thrown under the bus by the owner must be terrible for morale.

It sounds like a severe miscalculation by Joey.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Hmmmmmmmmm. Ya, Grizz, I tend to agree. My honest opinion is that the players on the field did their best and to be thrown under the bus by the owner must be terrible for morale.

It sounds like a severe miscalculation by Joey.

I don't think Saputo had much to do with the decision not to play their top players. His miscalculation was that instead of firing the incompetent coach Nick De Santis he promoted him to be an incompetent manager when Limniatis was hired. Pretty much everything stems from that decision. Even more worrying are reports that De Santis is talking with Bob Lilley who is not the coach we need. We need to fire both the current manager and coach and hire more qualified people with a proven track record to replace them.

It was an excellent interview. Haven't seen it since the original broadcast until now.

Interesting to note that Mr. Saputo, quite rightly, as much as stated he leaves the coach and the players to do the coach & player thing. Not suggesting he's all "hands-off" but that he lets people do the jobs they're hired to do, within a business structure he has set up. In such a format, giving the players a stern post-match word can be quite dramatic in that it is the exception, not the rule. Carver's antics at TFC had a use but their desired effect can be muted if you play that card too often.

And the effect of such an incident, because it is such an exception, projects beyond those who were physically present. Players talk to players. A bit of unexpected drama can't escape that, and in this instance probably wasn't meant to.

Will disagree, partially, with the blame for the extent of Thursdays loss not-being placed in at least equal part at the feet of the players who Dos Santos fielded. Those players may have been put into a tough spot, but enough of them lost heart and wilted under that circumstance and that just isn't good enough.

I don't think Saputo had much to do with the decision not to play their top players. His miscalculation was that instead of firing the incompetent coach Nick De Santis he promoted him to be an incompetent manager when Limniatis was hired. Pretty much everything stems from that decision. Even more worrying are reports that De Santis is talking with Bob Lilley who is not the coach we need. We need to fire both the current manager and coach and hire more qualified people with a proven track record to replace them.

OOOh, Bob Lilley back with the Impact...how delicious. David Testo and Joey Gjertson would probably be back in Vancouver before long.

IF NDS is actually talking with Lilley, then once again he is trying to shift the blame on his coach. It also proves once again that Limo should never have been fired in the first place.

No, I didn't mean Joey had anything to do with the player selection, I meant that his miscalculation was blaming the players.

Eeek. Bob Lilley!

db

Archived