Idea for 2009 Voyageurs Cup

The Cup format is 99% going to remain the same as last season's, but how fun would it be if this were the format...

Note: Assuming expansion includes 3 in CSL, 2 in PDL

Clubs not competing are Academies and reserve sides

There is also the Quebec Semi Pro League entering, if it will exist

Canadian Pyramid

Major League Soccer

(Toronto FC)

United Soccer leagues First Division

(Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps)

Canadian Soccer League (14 clubs, 12 entering)

Pacific Coast Soccer League (9 clubs, 8 competing) Quebec Semi Pro Soccer League (8 clubs, 8 competing)

United Soccer Leagues Premier Development League (7 clubs, 6 competing)

Provincial Leagues (The winner of each province from last season compete, 10 clubs competing)

Voyageurs Cup 2009 Format

Preliminary Rounds (2008)

All 10 provinces have competition, 1 winner from each province advance (200+ to 47)

1st Round

Provincial league champions, PCSL clubs except top 2 clubs of previous year, QSPSL clubs enter (47 to 32) (Games are 1 leg)

2nd Round

15 winners in 1st round, PCSL top 2 clubs, CSL clubs, USL D1 clubs, MLS clubs enter (32 to 16) (Games are 1 leg)

3rd Round

16 winners enter (16 to 8) (Games are 1 leg)

4th Round

8 winners enter (8 to 4) (Games are 1 leg)

Semi Final

4 winners enter (4 to 2) (Games are 1 leg neutral venue at BMO Field)

Final

2 winners enter (2 to 1) (Game is 1 leg neutral venue at BMO Field)

Winner wins Voyageurs Cup and advances to CONCACAF Champion’s league

** Money from provincial associations will be needed to support their provincial club**

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

4th Round

8 winners enter (8 to 4) (Games are 1 leg)

No one leg

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Semi Final

4 winners enter (4 to 2) (Games are 1 leg neutral venue at BMO Field)

Final

2 winners enter (2 to 1) (Game is 1 leg neutral venue at BMO Field)

No one leg, no neutral venue shit.

I tend to agree about not having one legged ties, maybe only in the first round. As for neutral venues, I'd say only for the final, there is plenty of precedent for that all over the world where Cups are often played at a neutral venue. That doesn't mean it has to or should be BMO field. In fact, I'd much prefer a system resembling the Greek one where the Cup final is played at a different venue every year, taking it to different parts of the country.

Very interesting FA Cup style competition. I don't think it would work out yet, but perhaps with the advent of a few more Canadian pro sides it could work, as I assume the pro sides would get the communities around them to become more aware of Canadian soccer in general. Despite how cool this system looks, odds are no team below USL-1 would ever represent Canada. Also, I'm not so sure you should have put TFC at the top of this so-called pyramid, a tad homer, no?

I would support something like this once more pro teams emerge and once things get more united between the provinces and the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

I tend to agree about not having one legged ties, maybe only in the first round. As for neutral venues, I'd say only for the final, there is plenty of precedent for that all over the world where Cups are often played at a neutral venue. That doesn't mean it has to or should be BMO field. In fact, I'd much prefer a system resembling the Greek one where the Cup final is played at a different venue every year, taking it to different parts of the country.

I think with the state of the game in the country, 2 legging all the later rounds makes sense, more revenue for teams that need it.

4th round onwards should be home-away.

All early rounds, 1 leg, or else it's too many games.

Having 2 legs in the later rounds would cause some teams to play 8/9 Voyaguers Cup matches which are probably a bit too much.

The most important thing is getting more than 3 teams in the competition. This tournament should be in cup format which has knockout rounds not league format. Top semi pro teams like Serbian White Eagles or Victoria United or Thunder Bay Chill should have a chance at winning this touney.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Question is, do we want to make sure that the top professional clubs (as examples, Montreal Toronto and Vancouver) remain interested in this competition, and not have it become like how the US clubs view the Champions League currently?

Have to make it presitgious like the FA cup.

Advertise the games, national TV deal, world class trophy, prize money. And most importantly getting into the CCL!

Top amateur sides should join - except maybe the Whitecaps PDL squad, otherwise you get a situation like in Holland where Ajax can play Ajax in the final. This demeans the cup (in Holland anyway because if the Ajax first team is dumped, they can put their top players in the Ajax reserves for the cup.

Why does CSL get 12 entries when PCSL and QSPSL only get 8 a piece?

CSL is by no means a step up the ladder from the other two. I don't care how much you folks in Ontario want to believe it, it's not "Canada's league" just because you put the word "Canadian" in it. CSL is a provincial regional league, and should be ranked accordingly.

Where does the best amateur club team in Canada fit into this scheme? And I do not mean the Mississauga City Croatian Purple Protectors of the Medak Pocket or some other mighty CSL side.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Why does CSL get 12 entries when PCSL and QSPSL only get 8 a piece?

CSL is by no means a step up the ladder from the other two. I don't care how much you folks in Ontario want to believe it, it's not "Canada's league" just because you put the word "Canadian" in it. CSL is a provincial regional league, and should be ranked accordingly.

PCSL only has 9 teams one being the whitecaps residency, so they get the other 8

QSPSL gets 8 because they are said to only have 8 teams

If either league gets more teams, they enter the competition

Im not regarding any league better, CSL just have more teams if they do go on with their expansion plans.

Archived