Best Young Canadians on Amateur Clubs?

Ian Kennett

Who are the very best, creme de la creme Canadians playing in the CSL, PDL, or USL-2? I ask because I am curious as to whether or not any of these guys are or could soon be good enough to play in MLS or USL -1, OR if any really should be seen by the CSA coaches for U-17 or U-20 consideration.

I have often heard people suggest that there are many really good amateurs who could and would play pro in Canada, but cannot afford the low pay scales.

Please describe as much bio/team/player/position/age as possible. Thanks.

Cheers!

Not playing in any of the Leagues that you mentioned but at Canadian Nationals last week the Calgary Callies had several very good young players on their roster. Don't know names but one in particular had quite a left foot shot and I watched him score a great free kick from about 30 yds against Manitoba.

Eric, I am but mere fan from the west coast who is curious about players. i often hear that there are, for example, all manner of players in the VMSL who could easily play for the Whitecaps, but cannot due to the low pay. I never, however, hear any names. It makes me curious.

Cheers!

Just digging through the CSL rosters. Here are some of the CSL (including tfca) and Whitecaps from Ontario. Players in Caps* I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of.

Goalkeepers:

Sotiri Varlokostas (NTCO & TFCA) (17 Years)

Jarret Humphreys (NTCO & TFCA) (17 Years)

Defenders:

ALEX SUPERNANT (Trois Riviers)(19 Years) Already has some u20 caps.

DOMINIC ROBERTS(NTCO & TFCA)(17 Years) TFCA Captain solid 1v1 defender

Dovovan Wilson (NTCO & TFCA) (17 Years)

DANIEL DI BAGGIO (NTCO & TFCA)(17 Years) Handled Shane Lammie pretty damn well, considering Lammie was on a hot streak.

Gino Mauro (NTCO & TFCA)

Feres Samain (TFCA u16) (16 Years)

Midfielders:

Johnathan Lao (TFCA -u16)(16 years)

JEREMY HALLIDAY (NTCO & TFCA)(17 Years) Quick talented winger.

Josue Arias (Astros)(17 Years)

Matthew Stinson (TFCA u16) (16 Years)

ASHTONE MORGAN (TFCA & NTCO) Tough kid, hard worker good skill.

Milos Scepanovic (Serbia White Eagles) (19 Years)

KEVIN COBBY (Whitecaps) Controlled the TFCA u16 midfielder strong crafty player (16 Years)

Russel Teibert(Whitecaps) (16 Years)

ETHAN GAGE(Whitecaps) Look out for him, started in midfield for the USL team in the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and he's a 91. (17 Years)

Fowards:

JUSTIN MAHEU (TFC u16) Clinical Striker, aggressive much to see from him. (16 years)

JELANI SMITH (Italia Shooters & NTCO) Big,Fast,Strong & good feet[only kid from NTCO not on TFCA*] (17 years)

Allando Matheson (TFC u16) (16 Years)

ALEX SEMENETS (Whitecaps)(18 years) I've heard about him from one of my friends cousins that played for glen shield when he was at oakville very fast and great finisher.

Considerably shallow striker pool from what I've gathered from Ontario, typical Canadian I guess. I wonder if any of these will be at the u20 camp upcoming in December or November.

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

Eric, I am but mere fan from the west coast who is curious about players. i often hear that there are, for example, all manner of players in the VMSL who could easily play for the Whitecaps, but cannot due to the low pay. I never, however, hear any names. It makes me curious.

Cheers!

Davide Xausa, David Morris and Johnny Sulentic are guys that have played in the USL That are currently playing in the VMSL. Rizal Ganieff is a guy that plays in the VMSL Premier and could play, from what I have seen/been told.

There are others, that are attending school, and for a myriad of other reasons don't or can't play for the Whitecaps or any other sort of Semi-Pro/Pro team.

example, Joe Footballer, loves footy, and is good at it, good enough to earn $20-$30k a season with the Whitecaps. Why would he play for them if he earn $60k or more a year working a job in trades or in a white collar career?

There are guys with families and mortgages, that probably could play no problem. The laundary list of VMSL'ers that played for the Caps died when Bob Lilley moved training from evenings to days, meaning a lot of the other guys couldn't have second jobs unless they were part time or extremely flexible.

quote:Originally posted by Bates

Not playing in any of the Leagues that you mentioned but at Canadian Nationals last week the Calgary Callies had several very good young players on their roster. Don't know names but one in particular had quite a left foot shot and I watched him score a great free kick from about 30 yds against Manitoba.

Well the Callies didn't score on Manitoba on any free kick, according to their coach's blog. Cody Cook might be the player you are thinking of. With their spot assured, Coach Randell rested 9 of his veteran starting eleven against Manitoba and after going down 1-0, they scored 3 straight:

- Milan Timotejevic (22 minutes) off a cross from Cody Cook

- Ben Duffy (32 minutes) off a Cody Cook corner

- Brett Colvin (86 minutes) breakaway goal

Guest Soccrman
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well the Callies didn't score on Manitoba on any free kick, according to their coach's blog. Cody Cook might be the player you are thinking of. With their spot assured, Coach Randell rested 9 of his veteran starting eleven against Manitoba and after going down 1-0, they scored 3 straight:

- Milan Timotejevic (22 minutes) off a cross from Cody Cook

- Ben Duffy (32 minutes) off a Cody Cook corner

- Brett Colvin (86 minutes) breakaway goal

the free kick in question must have been this one v NS

Brett Colvin scored a superb free kick goal, in injury time, from 25 yds as he bent it around the wall into the top corner!! - from the blog

and I believe he spells it Randall:)

Archived