Canadians abroad: September 19-25, 2008

DJT

"Brian Howard threatened to frog-march the former Tranmere striker to the cashpoint to refund his win bonus"

i need to babelfish that to figure out what it says in english.

its been a lousy couple of weeks for our boys...own goals, missed winners, horrible performances, not even making the bench...

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski took a second yellow m. 80 and was ejected, followed by another teammate at Bruges, but they hang on for an away draw at FC Malines, 1-1. Bruges have three draws in the first 5 matches, slow start.

Julian de G and Michael can go out drinking this weekend as neither will play club matches. Also means they'll be well-rested for the next WC qualifier.

Hutchinson scored his second winner in as many games, his strike in m. 34 being the difference as Issey's Nordsjælland only got one back vs. Copenhagen in Danish League action. No info yet on either club site on whether Issey or Bernier played.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

Just noticed that there are league matches in Spain this afternoon. Looks like JDG just got himself sent off away at Osasuna; 2 yellows either side of the half.

Depor drew scoreless away to Osasuna in a game they say the locals dominated, especially after Julian was sent off.

According to Depor coach Lotina the second yellow came on an error from the linesman:

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/deportivo/es/desarrollo/1168715.html

From Marca: "The Basque coach pointed out that De Guzmán should not have been sent off, since there had been a previous foul from Juanfran on a Depor player: 'For me, on the play there is a foul from Juanfran on Filipe which should have been a yellow as well, and end of play. De Guzmán then made a mistake, but if the linesman saw it then he should have seen the first foul. He made a mistake and left us with ten men, but as I say it was the linesman's fault.'"

Guest Jeffery S.

For those who have not seen it, Julian's second yellow is deserved as he basically cuts down the opposing player, as if reacting to the rather violent foul on the Depor play a few seconds before that the ref does not call. It almost provoked a scuffle.

This is the second polemical red for Depor in straight games, Omar Bravo sat out for an undeserved straight red last match when it looked like he went in on the keeper, though in fact he had done nothing out of the ordinary. So Lotina is a bit sensitive to the reffing and his comments are a way of putting the pressure on them and inciting the fans in Coruña bit.

Even with Depor down a player and their team inoperative the fans in Pamplona protested the ref rather intensely.

By the way, Depor is playing lately with Sergio and Julian in a double pivot in front of the defence, Julian lined up right, with three more attacking mids including Guardado on the left and Valeron in the middle in front of them, and a loan striker up top: a 4-2-3-1 basically. This would be like Canada playing Julian and Imhof in front of the defence with Radz and DeRo as outside mids and someone creative behind Friend, like Hume. But I think we should probably be freeing up Julian a bit more and if anything put the defensive mids behind him and push him forwards.

Guest Jeffery S.

Well there's a surprise: Tyler Hemming started and played the whole match last night for Tampere United in Finland, as they drew away to KuPS 1-1. Looking through previous reports it seems to be his first minutes, though he was on the bench last weekend.

Link to game report, which mentions him once though my Finnish is rough since my Finnish girlfriend left me in 1984, breaking my heart.

http://www.tampereunited.com/fin/ottelut/otteluraportit?entry=983

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Well there's a surprise: Tyler Hemming started and played the whole match last night for Tampere United in Finland, as they drew away to KuPS 1-1. Looking through previous reports it seems to be his first minutes, though he was on the bench last weekend.

Link to game report, which mentions him once though my Finnish is rough since my Finnish girlfriend left me in 1984, breaking my heart.

http://www.tampereunited.com/fin/ottelut/otteluraportit?entry=983

Sorry about the finnish girl.

I think he played 25 min in his first game (2 weeks ago) as a sub. Anyways, good to see him getting playing time, something he didn't have with TFC.

Guest Jeffery S.

Those Baltic girls are wonderful.

Updating yesterdays Copenhagen 2-Nordsjaelland 1, Atiba and Bernier played 90 for their respective sides, Atiba with the winner, and Issey did not dress.

Archived