Canadians abroad: September 19-25, 2008

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for September 19-25, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

England

Premiership

West Ham 3 v 1 Newcastle (Edgar)

Edgar starts and plays 59 mins

Championship

Birmingham 0 v 1 Blackpool (D'Agostino)

No D'Agostino

Sheff Wed 0 v 0 Ipswich (Peters)

No Peters

Southampton 0 v 0 Barnsley (Hume)

Hume starts and plays 90 mins

League One

Colchester 0 v 3 Milton Keynes Dons (Gerba)

Di Matteo to make a late decision to hand Ali Gerba his debut

Gerba starts and plays 72 mins

Yeovil (Begovic, Bircham, Wagenaar)2 v 2 Bristol Rovers

No Bircham, No Wagenaar, Begovic starts and plays 90 mins

League Two

Aldershot 2 v 1 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 84 mins

Port Vale 1 v 4 Macclesfield (Dunfield)

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 36 mins

Conference Premier

Oxford Utd 1 v 2 Crawley Town (Rayner)

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

Scottish Premier

Hearts 1 v 0 Inverness CT (Hastings)

Hastings starts and plays 90 mins

1st Division

Dundee (Pozniak)0 v 3 Livingston

Pozniak starts and plays 45 mins

id be surprised if we see edgar again for a while...he looked out of his league today....subbing out your right back at 59 minutes, 3 goals down says something.

the first goal deflected off him into the net...the third goal was his mark that he appeared to completely give up on...he gave a couple of fouls right outside the box...missed an open field header that made the crowd gasp...a number of passes right at the boot of opposition players....all in all not a great performance...west ham used the left side all day...edgar seemed powerless to do anything about it.

every start he has had he has been subbed off after an hour...that is a bad sign.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

id be surprised if we see edgar again for a while...he looked out of his league today....subbing out your right back at 59 minutes, 3 goals down says something.

the first goal deflected off him into the net...the third goal was his mark that he appeared to completely give up on...he gave a couple of fouls right outside the box...missed an open field header that made the crowd gasp...a number of passes right at the boot of opposition players....all in all not a great performance...west ham used the left side all day...edgar seemed powerless to do anything about it.

every start he has had he has been subbed off after an hour...that is a bad sign.

Agree. David isn't EPL quality, he would need some time with a CCC team or a strong League One team if he wants to stay in England.

David Edgar is not a right back - he wasn't providing any overlaps and his positioning was atrocious today. I still think he is a prem quality centre back, he is a fundamentally good defender and doesn't often get beat in 1v1 situations. I certainly think he should be called up and probably start alongside Serioux against Honduras and Mexico

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

David Edgar is not a right back - he wasn't providing any overlaps and his positioning was atrocious today. I still think he is a prem quality centre back, he is a fundamentally good defender and doesn't often get beat in 1v1 situations. I certainly think he should be called up and probably start alongside Serioux against Honduras and Mexico

Serioux is suspended vs. Honduras. But yes I agree Edgar should start one or both.

Italy

Uccello's team Casale played theri forth match against Biellese a losing cause by result of 3-1. Uccello Played they entire match this time ending his scoring streak and the team winning streak.

However the team standing did not change tied for first at the top of the table in Division A.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian de G plays 90 in the midfield for Depor, who draw scoreless at home vs. Mallorca. Good match, plenty of chances especially for Depor, who saw some good keeping and the woodwork keep them off the scoresheet. Depor has to be happier after two straight losses, unlucky not to get the win today.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Serioux is suspended vs. Honduras. But yes I agree Edgar should start one or both.

Well, with the suspension I'm sure we'll see McKenna (barring injury). Hastings has not been able to duplicate his Gold Cup form so I would have thought that his starting position would be in jeopardy. Considering what people have said here about Jakovic's performance at CB during the Olympic qualifying (I have never seen him play), I wonder if he will be thrust into the spotlight for this match?

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski plays 90 and Bruges hang on for the last 20 minutes with a man down to beat Genk away 1-0. The win puts them 3 points from the top in Belgium with a game in hand. Looks like he plays outside back with them, as with us.

Guest Jeffery S.

Bernier played 90 and Issey started and subbed out m. 52, as his Nordsjaelland beat his former club Vejle 2-1 on a last minute goal. They have two wins and two draws in 7 league games and remain in lower mid table in Denmark, with OB already way in front of the pack.

Kobenhavn beat Aalborg 3-0, Hutchinson with the winner in m. 42. They are third.

Cann and Ornoch's Esbjerg face Brondby tomorrow eve.

De Jong came on at the half and Breda scored 3 after the break to Marcel's yellow card, leaving Roda with a 0-3 home loss in Holland before 14000 fans.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

Colchester 0 v 3 Milton Keynes Dons (Gerba)

Di Matteo to make a late decision to hand Ali Gerba his debut

Gerba starts and plays 72 mins

Interesting situation: the striker Gerba replaced in the starting XI, Baldock, later subbed on for him and scored the Dons' final two goals in the last minutes of the match.

Davey's in need of a Hume help

by ALEX CROOK

412 words

22 September 2008

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2008

SERIOUSLY football - Soton 0 Barnsley 0

IAIN HUME was forced to apologise to his Barnsley team-mates after his glaring miss cost the rockbottom Tykes their first away win in six months.

Midfielder Brian Howard threatened to frog-march the former Tranmere striker to the cashpoint to refund his win bonus.

Howard said: "Iain's gutted and said sorry, but all the lads are going to send him to the cashpoint and get our win bonuses out.

"It was good chance, everybody could see that, but at least he is getting himself in the right place to score which we did not do enough of."

Barnsley manager Simon Davey admitted he had already started celebrating when Hume beat Southampton's offside trap before rounding goalkeeper Kelvin Davis – only to shoot into the side-netting.

At least the point eases some of the pressure on Davey after being booed by his own fans following Tuesday's 1-0 defeat at home to Cardiff.

Former Southampton trainee Howard added: "We are all in this together and the players are right behind the gaffer.

"I do not think our performances have been that bad, we are just not taking the chances we should.

"I am just as much to blame as anyone because I think by this time last year I had scored five goals and I have only got one so far.

"It is not a great spectacle for the fans and some of the new players need some time to gel.

"But we have come down here and grafted for a point and not many teams will achieve that this season because Southampton are a strong side." Southampton created the bulk of the chances, but boss Jan Poortvliet is still waiting for his first home win in charge.

Teenager Joseph Mills became the latest Saints kid to make his debut as Poortvliet continues with his youth policy.

Left-back Mills, who saw Tomas Pekhart and Adam Lallana pass up good chances to win all three points, said: "All the lads at the end of the game were very frustrated.

"If you look at the stats, I think we had lots of shots, but it was not our day and we could not find the net.

"All the lads know each other's talents and we are optimistic. We just need to get those first couple of wins on the bounce."

Archived