Don't be surprised to see Italy jerseys!

If I recall correctly last game in mtl against Jamaica I brought around 30 new peopel to give Canada a chance. everything turned out great we won and everyone was happy. But don't be surprised to see people bring their portugal or italy soccer jerseys to this match. The last time Canada was in MTL I saw all kinds of jerseys but that of Canada.

Of course there there were the die hard fans like us who brought all red but if your going to come to a game of Canada let go of Italy for one day and embrace the country you live in. At the minumum wear red to support or just wear regular clothes. I find this pretty pathetic what are your thoughts guys?

By the way this time I brought 50 people to support we are all in section 220 row 18 and 19.

After reading the topic title I thought this thread was going to be about Euro '08!

I live two blocks from Commercial... It won't be long now before it's full of flag waving portugese/italian/greek (Canadian born and raised, ofcourse) fans...

Anyways, good work Derosario23 for trying to recuit some more people to the Canadian cause!

well done on bringing such a big crew.

I'll be the first to give the italians and portuguese fans good-natured ribbing at the game for wearing those shirts (as I do to all the Liverpool fans who wear their jerseys to TFC games [xx(]), but I'd rather have them there than stay at home.

True but I nebver understood why these people do this when both teams playing have nothing to do with their jerseys!

I just hope that there are more fans of Canada for this game then st vincent! The jamaica match was pretty even in terms of fan support hopefully this will change!

quote:Originally posted by themodelcitizen

well done on bringing such a big crew.

I'll be the first to give the italians and portuguese fans good-natured ribbing at the game for wearing those shirts (as I do to all the Liverpool fans who wear their jerseys to TFC games [xx(]), but I'd rather have them there than stay at home.

quote:Originally posted by BattalionFC

Go to a cheapie shop and buy a red tshirt for 5 bucks if your new... honestly...

5 bucks? That's much more expensive than a red tshirt need be, I'd say you could find them for under 5 dollars.

quote:Originally posted by Derosario23

True but I nebver understood why these people do this when both teams playing have nothing to do with their jerseys!

I just hope that there are more fans of Canada for this game then st vincent! The jamaica match was pretty even in terms of fan support hopefully this will change!

I agree with your overall sentiment but I also agree with the model citizen that if they are supporting Canada I would rather they come than don't show at all. I think the problem is that people associate soccer with the Italian, English, Portugese, Brazilian national teams and Liverpool, Man U and Real Madrid and thus show up to any soccer game wearing such shirts. I saw a similar thing at hockey games in Germany where many German fans would show up to their club matches in Canada national team and NHL jerseys. Probably to change this we will have to have some success in soccer and win some respect on the world stage.

The one thing that I completely disagree with you on is the statement that the Jamaica match in Montreal was pretty even in terms of fan support. There were very few Jamaicans at the match because there are very few Jamaicans in Montreal. Even a conservative estimate would be at least 30 Canadians for every Jamaican there. They didn't even have their own section and were scattered throughout the crowd. Also the Jamaicans at this match were very cool and friendly. I had the impression from most of them that even though they might have preferred a Jamaican victory they also considered themselves Canadian and were not displeased that Canada had won. This despite the fact that most of the Jamaicans judging from their accent seemed to have been born in Jamaica. I can contrast this to the disdainful and aggressive anti-Canada attitude displayed by several of the nationalities during the U-20 WC even in games in which Canada was not involved and despite the fact that most of these people were born in Canada. Maybe in Toronto the Jamaican attitude will be different as their support will be much bigger but here they were pretty cool. The Montreal crowd was definitely a home crowd supporting Canada and if you look at the posts from that time many of the posters in attendance mentioned this.

Archived