Saputo Denies Mafia Links.....

Winnipeg Fury

-New post-

Personally here's my take:

1. Having such a large legitimate business there is no need to be tied to the mafia, or risk everything by being tied to the mafia

2. The Italian media / cops are not reliable. A lot of activities they do like this amount to a dog and pony show. People(unfortunately) are addicted to scandal, this is the type of dirt they like to drag out to sell to the public. I'd put this one right next to the Chilean news reports of the U-20 player who said he was thrown in a room with 15 cops and beat up.

3. If there was any legitimacy to this, Saputo would have a 100 cases against him by now from the feds. The activities are so large and public in nature that they would be extrmely difficult to conceal.

4. It's possible that their business has come into contact with mafia people, but that doesn't mean it was willing. There are tons of fully legitimate businesses that get targeted for these type of things, and the owners are completely blindsided by the activity. It does not mean they are willing accomplaces. The Bonanno thing falls under this category.

When you look at the totality of the situation Saputo being involved with this kind of activity makes little sense.

On a related note, yesterday I bought a 1 kg. pack of Saputo Mozzarella cheese and am eating some right now. It was on sale for $8.99, a price so cheap that it is almost criminal! (Sorry but I couldn't resist that bad joke.) Say what you want about the Saputos but they sure do make some good cheese! :D

Archived