Archundia in a Documentary

EZmac

Anyone else see this?

I was flipping through the channels and saw a documentary type show on FIFA referees and how they have to train and prepare etc. It was interesting until who should appear and be selected over all the other FIFA referees to oversee the final of the 2005 Club Championships, none other than Benito Archundia! Hearing him called one of the best referees in the world made me sick. My only consolation was that they also recognized Canadian Hector Vergara.

Germany vs Italy in 2006 was one of the best ref game in the whole tournament. To be fair to him, he had a solid World Cup.

Yes, he screwed us in 2004 but I'm not the kind to believe in conspiracies unless we have something more credible than a few bad calls. This summer, it was the linesman who screwed us (and I can excuse him since the situation was a perfect example of why you can't ask a linesman or a ref to call that kind of stuff correctly for 50 yards away...).

There was controversy in 2005 between Vergara and Liverpool after Benitez said that those calls would've never happenned in England. After seeing the replays, FIFA and pretty much everyone who knows the game said the Vergara calls were correct.

Anyone who follows the game today will realize that there's huge mistakes being made by a lot of refs at the very best levels. Why's that?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Like I said in the World Cup draw thread, the good thing about drawing Mexico in the World Cup is that Canada is guaranteed no Mexican refs.

Actually we are doubly lucky in this regard as we also have Honduras so there will be no Honduran refs either. There have always been rumours of a deal between Mexico and Honduras to help each other.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Actually we are doubly lucky in this regard as we also have Honduras so there will be no Honduran refs either. There have always been rumours of a deal between Mexico and Honduras to help each other.

But we also won't get Pendergast (JAM), and may now get that (gasp)

assistant ref from Surinam, who's an expert at offsides ...

CONCACAF refs are never kind to Canada (in most circumstances).

Archived