Special One quits.

royalcity

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho texts players and says 'I quit'

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho shocked the sporting world after texting his top players last night to say he is quitting the football club.

Mourinho sent text messages to five senior players to say his controversial three-year reign was over.

The Portugese manager has come under increasing pressure from the club's Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.

Although Mourinho won the Premier League twice, Abramovich pumped £400million into the club and wanted more success in the European Champions' League.

And a humiliating draw at home with Norwegian minnows Rosenberg on Tuesday signalled the end for Mourinho.

Last night, sources speculated that the Chelsea boss had been sacked.

Mourinho caught Chelsea's hierarchy by surprise after the premiere of the club's documentary Blue Revolution, by demanding talks at Stamford Bridge over his future.

Those talks went on late into last night, but his players were under the impression that the 1-1 draw against Rosenborg was his last match in charge.

The Chelsea manager told his players that he would report to the training ground as usual today, but it will be only to say goodbye after just over three years at the club.

Incredibly, Juande Ramos, who was in charge of Sevilla during their 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Champions League last night, is being linked with the job.

Ramos turned down Tottenham last month when it emerged that he was waiting for a bigger offer, but he is one of many names on Chelsea's radar after leading Sevilla to two successive UEFA Cup triumphs.

Mourinho still has three years left on a contract worth a staggering £6.5million a year, but Abramovich is prepared to pay up a huge proportion of that.

At the time he signed the deal, Mourinho said: "My heart is with Chelsea and the fantastic group of players that I have but the vision of the owner and the board for the future of Chelsea is also one I want to be a part of it.

"I cannot imagine another situation or another club where I could be happier. I am totally behind this project."

Chelsea's board have become increasingly restless following the club's disjointed start to the season, which has left the club fifth in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Arsenal after six games, and it manifested itself after the 1-1 draw against Norwegian minnows Rosenborg in their first Champions League group game on Tuesday.

Mourinho complained, as he has complained every week since the start of the season, about injuries to key players, and that has not sat easily with the board.

Incredibly, Mourinho's decision to leave Stamford Bridge after three years at the club comes just two days before they travel to Old Trafford to face Manchester United in the Premier League in one of the biggest games of the season.

It means assistant manager Steve Clarke or director of football Avram Grant will be asked to take the team on Sunday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=482823&in_page_id=1770

Guest Jeffery S.

We'll take him at Barça. He'll no longer be Robson's translator. He can exercise his theatrical skills before an audience that appreciates him (and teach Messi a few more). And he'll really piss of the folks at Real Madrid.

Perfect, come on down José.

Nice to see him crawl back to Portugal with his tail between his legs. I knew is arrogant act would wear thin, but I didn't think it would happen this soon. He'll always be remembered for being brought to his knees by a mid-table Norweigen club. [^]

The perfect fit for him now would be the Portuguese national team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

We'll take him at Barça. He'll no longer be Robson's translator. He can exercise his theatrical skills before an audience that appreciates him (and teach Messi a few more). And he'll really piss of the folks at Real Madrid.

Perfect, come on down José.

Do you really think the Barca fans will accept him. I think the white tissues will be out after 5 games of watching extremely boring and defensive football ...

And you get all that for 7 Million Euro's of wages per year...

I dont know why you and a lot of other people want Rijkaard gone. He's brought the most success to Barca in years WITH attractive football.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Nice to see him crawl back to Portugal with his tail between his legs. I knew is arrogant act would wear thin, but I didn't think it would happen this soon. He'll always be remembered for being brought to his knees by a mid-table Norweigen club. [^]

The perfect fit for him now would be the Portuguese national team.

amacpher, how exactly did your hate-on for Mourinho start?

The writing was on the wall last year when he didn't get the players he wanted as Roman brought in Sheva and Ballack, players that Mourinho did not need and could not use.

Mourinho will land on his feet and hopefully at a club where the owner/board leave the footballing decisions to the coach and not to their backroom buddies. He proved how good of a coach he was with Porto and should have never had to deal with the bs he endured at Chelsea. Can you imagine Sir Alex being told who to play by the Glazers?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Do you really think the Barca fans will accept him. I think the white tissues will be out after 5 games of watching extremely boring and defensive football ...

And you get all that for 7 Million Euro's of wages per year...

I dont know why you and a lot of other people want Rijkaard gone. He's brought the most success to Barca in years WITH attractive football.

If there are 156,000 club members at Barça I am sure I could not fill even one tour bus with those who'd want Mourinho as coach.

The success at Barça belongs to a lot of factors, but I think the new board that hired Rijkaard and brought in Ronaldinho deserves most of the credit. We are just frustrated by his inaction last year in losing 5 trophies stupidly, all five. My suggestion: first illegalize recreational drug use in HOlland, and then, when they've been detoxed, send your best coaches down here to train Barça.

Apparently Tottenham are already lining him up. If I were any of the other big four clubs in England, I would not want to see this happen, because he would make them a lot more successful, which would mean one of those established four would be kicked out of the Champions League. But non-Chelsea fans are too busy laughing at him to even notice.

You can call Mourinho whatever you want, but one thing you can't call him is a ****ty manager. He's definitely one of the best in the world, and one could argue the best club manager since the turn of the millennium.

I was reading through the blogs on the Guardian's website and one guy made a good point that Mourinho is lamented for his teams style, meanwhile Rafa Benitez gets a free pass from the media, despite his equally boring style.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Apparently Tottenham are already lining him up. If I were any of the other big four clubs in England, I would not want to see this happen, because he would make them a lot more successful, which would mean one of those established four would be kicked out of the Champions League. But non-Chelsea fans are too busy laughing at him to even notice.

Rumour has it that there's a clause in Jose's compensation package that prevents him from managing another Premiership club. At least until his Chelsea contract expires.

I'm sure that's a huuuge sigh of relief for the "big 4" in England. As we know, all it takes is Jose plus a mere 200 million quid to take a club like Spurs to the level of Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Six pages already in the LAG forum at Bigsoccer regarding the possibility of Mourinho coaching there. Klinsmann, Capello, Mourinho. Throw them a bone please.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Six pages already in the LAG forum at Bigsoccer regarding the possibility of Mourinho coaching there. Klinsmann, Capello, Mourinho. Throw them a bone please.

LOL. That's a funny read!

There's another one about Jose going to manage the US national team and how they would be destined for the World Cup 2010 final if they get him!

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12791310#post12791310

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If there are 156,000 club members at Barça I am sure I could not fill even one tour bus with those who'd want Mourinho as coach.

The success at Barça belongs to a lot of factors, but I think the new board that hired Rijkaard and brought in Ronaldinho deserves most of the credit. We are just frustrated by his inaction last year in losing 5 trophies stupidly, all five. My suggestion: first illegalize recreational drug use in HOlland, and then, when they've been detoxed, send your best coaches down here to train Barça.

You must be joking....

Illegalize recreational drugs is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard...:D

Always easy for foreigners to blame the Dutch on drugs and women at the Red Light District.

We live in a truly FREE Country and that's how we roll...[8D]

You just keep being jealous ;) , and I let nature do his thing and let those beautiful plants grow in my back garden.

LOL I'm pretty certain that its still illegal to grow the stuff in Holland.

You can legally grow a small amount of weed. A lot of older people did it as it is a good medicine against Rheumatism and several other diseases (People who suffer from cancer do it as well). They've been growing weed for years and they mix that with tea , yoghurt , milk etc..

And now everyone can grow a small portion in their own homes.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SCF08

You must be joking....

Illegalize recreational drugs is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard...:D

Always easy for foreigners to blame the Dutch on drugs and women at the Red Light District.

We live in a truly FREE Country and that's how we roll...[8D]

You just keep being jealous ;) , and I let nature do his thing and let those beautiful plants grow in my back garden.

Well how do you suggest ensuring Rijkaard does not train, coach and do press conferences stoned? I say solve the problem at its source.

(By the way, it was reported a few summers ago that there are something like 40,000 people growing grass on their balconies and roof terraces in the city of Barcelona, and seriously now, I have no problem with it).

Back to Mourinho: he'd do a damn good job at any club with a decent budget and underacheiving, like Spurs, At. Madrid. Galaxy could pay him probably, but they don't have the players to make it interesting for him.

From Special One to Normal One! I'm not a Chel$ki supporter so I don't know if you greet the news below with enthusiasm or.....

Chelsea say Grant's job as coach is permanent(adds quotes, detail, byline)

By Mike Collett

LONDON, Sept 21 (Reuters) - Israeli Avram Grant has been appointed Chelsea's new coach on a permanent basis although he has not yet signed a contract.

"The appointment is permanent," chief executive Peter Kenyon told a news conference on Friday.

Grant, 52, replacing Jose Mourinho who left the club on Thursday, said: "Everything has happened very quickly in the last 48 hours but I am happy to be here.

"I am my own man and I would not have taken the job if I did not think I could do it."

Assistant coach Steve Clarke will continue in his role but Grant will bring in a new backroom staff after Mourinho's four Portuguese colleagues also left on Thursday.

Referring to Mourinho, the self-styled 'special one', Grant said: "I am not a special one, I am a normal person".

Grant, Kenyon and chairman Bruce Buck faced a more gruelling interrogation from the media than is normal on these occasions and the new coach was quick to play down his relationship with Chelsea's billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich.

"I did not get the job because I am a friend of Roman Abramovich," he said.

"I have a normal relationship with him. I don't want to talk about being family friends. We have a football relationship."

He also said he did not foresee a problem with Abramovich meddling in team affairs.

"I will take all the decisions in football on my own. He did not try and meddle in the past and will not in the future," said Grant.

Asked what his message was to the fans, many of whom are angry at Mourinho's departure, Grant said: "It touched my heart how they reacted when Jose left and my job is to make them happy.

"But the supporters were here before Jose came and they will be here after I have gone."

NO BUST-UP

Kenyon dismissed suggestions there had been a major bust-up between Mourinho and his players or Mourinho and the board.

"The reality is the last six or nine months have been difficult for everyone (at the club)," he said.

Kenyon added the recent defeat by Aston Villa, last Saturday's home draw with Blackburn Rovers and Tuesday's home draw with Rosenborg Trondheim in the Champions League were not the catalysts for his departure.

"There was no single catalyst. No bust-ups. But we reached the point in the last few days that it was right for him and right for the club to mutually part company," said Kenyon.

He also denied Mourinho was not involved in the purchase of Andriy Shevchenko from AC Milan last year, saying the owner, the board and the manager all agreed on the deal.

Kenyon said Grant was the right man to take Chelsea forward.

"Chelsea is a different club at a different level than it was (when Mourinho took over three years ago)," he said.

"I don't fear an exodus of our star players either. They have all pledged their full support to Avram."

Asked whether Chelsea had taken a backward step in appointing a man with no direct coaching experience outside Israel, Buck said: "We don't believe it's a backward step, we believe it's a step forward".

Buck would not say whether Mourinho's severance package precluded the Portuguese coaching a rival Premier League team.

Grant will not take training on Saturday, the day before Chelsea play Manchester United at Old Trafford, as it is Yom Kippur, the most holy day in the Jewish calendar.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6939230,00.html

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I was reading through the blogs on the Guardian's website and one guy made a good point that Mourinho is lamented for his teams style, meanwhile Rafa Benitez gets a free pass from the media, despite his equally boring style.

After 2 consecutive nil-nil draws, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa starts hearing complaints about his style soon.

BTW, he was getting a free pass before because he had an inferior team on paper (especially in attack) compared to the other big 3 in England (Mourinho didn't have that excuse). But with all the new signings in the past summer the Liverpool fans will be expecting to be entertained now in addition to winning.

Guest Jeffery S.

After 2 consecutive nil-nil draws, I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa starts hearing complaints about his style soon.

BTW, he was getting a free pass before because he had an inferior team on paper (especially in attack) compared to the other big 3 in England (Mourinho didn't have that excuse). But with all the new signings in the past summer the Liverpool fans will be expecting to be entertained now in addition to winning.

Benítez played the same way with Valencia. It was a boring team, with a big squad constantly rotated except the keeper, very little continuity anywhere, no big stars but a strong upper middle class. Similar formula to Liverpool. He is not a great coach when it comes to mixing up attacking options, or loosening up the structure of the back 6 or 7 to add a bit going forwards. So no surprise really; I think the real error is not signing truly world class, game-breaking players. And Torres is not one of them.

Here I thought I was an oddball suggesting Mourinho for Barça and just the other day a columnist, Pedro Barthe, one of the most familiar sports journalist in Spain after years on tv, comes out commenting on how Mourinho is the favourite to replace Rijkaard on local internet soccer chats. I had no idea, but odd to think we are all thinking so oddly together.

After the last game vs. Sevilla, where Iniesta played in Ronaldinho's spot and was amazing (he is so humble it is scary too) I say we really can sell the guy, anyone got 70 million euros to spend in December? Mr. Abramovich?

Yeah, now would be a good time to sell Ronaldinho.

According to that Scot who works at FSC, the main reason Mourinho isn't still at Chelsea is because Roman went after Ronaldinho this past August without notifying Mourinho.

I think they should wait until next summer to sell Ronaldinho to Chelsea though.

Archived