Canada goal scorers vs. Guatemala

jonovision

Jeffrey S. mentioned this in another thread:

quote:

I am wondering who got the goals officially, the ref's report would be the definitive version, not the press or even what the replays say. I am not sure if the ref errs if video can be used to rectify.

In any case Concacaf site had DeRo, and Gerba with two.

I've been curious about this as well. I feel like maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but this could be important as all three of Canada's potential goal scorers from the Guatemala match (who happen to be Canada's only scorers in the tournament) could be in the running for top scorer in the tournament, depending on who gets credit.

The Sportsnet broadcast seemed to settle on De Rosario, Gerba (the only clear-cut one, IMO) and Own Goal. The CSA match tracker (PDF) lists De Rosario, and then two Gerba strikes, as does their match report.

I saw in an article where Gerba and Hart both insisted that the first goal belonged to Gerba, in which case the small deflection would have been off the defender.

But I have seen, in various match reports, the following combinations:

De Rosario - Gerba - Gerba

Gerba - Gerba - DeGuzman

De Rosario - Gerba - DeGuzman

So, depending on who you listen to about which goal, Gerba scored between 1 and 3 goals. This needs clearing up.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Jeffrey S. mentioned this in another thread:

I've been curious about this as well. I feel like maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but this could be important as all three of Canada's potential goal scorers from the Guatemala match (who happen to be Canada's only scorers in the tournament) could be in the running for top scorer in the tournament, depending on who gets credit.

The Sportsnet broadcast seemed to settle on De Rosario, Gerba (the only clear-cut one, IMO) and Own Goal. The CSA match tracker (PDF) lists De Rosario, and then two Gerba strikes, as does their match report.

I saw in an article where Gerba and Hart both insisted that the first goal belonged to Gerba, in which case the small deflection would have been off the defender.

But I have seen, in various match reports, the following combinations:

De Rosario - Gerba - Gerba

Gerba - Gerba - DeGuzman

De Rosario - Gerba - DeGuzman

So, depending on who you listen to about which goal, Gerba scored between 1 and 3 goals. This needs clearing up.

Gerba was officially given the goal off the deflection according to GOL TV last night.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Gerba was officially given the goal off the deflection according to GOL TV last night.

By "deflection", you mean the 3rd goal and not the 1st which was (presumably) deflected in by De Rosario?

When I watch hockey, I have a habit of guessing who will be credited with a goal by how and how much each player celebrates. By that measure, I'd have given Gerba the first two goals and not the third.

Guest Jeffery S.

As the refs report after the game should be not only official but public, as otherwise cards could not be appealed, we should assume that someone at the CSA has seen it.

So the thing would be to just make an enquiry as to what it said, whether to them or to the GC organizers.

That official site, which is hosted by Terra, is pretty weak, no goal scoring stats for example. Meaning no stat chart to check on goals, or on cards, who has played, no individual stats at all. Poor stuff.

Archived