California Victory.

[:0]

Ug.

You know, I would have thought that with a bit of work SF could be a decent USL market. But maybe not. Don't know anything about what's going on out their way but the 'Quakes did so-so. Pretty good support by USL expectations if they (Victory) could re-produce it.

But that might be the problem. Having a team in a lesser league.

The weather looked fine on the webcast. I didn't see any rain. 1017 tickets sold is pretty poor considering it was a franchise opener against a very good team. More telling was the lack of sponsors ads. There were none, not even any USL signage that you see at all other games.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

The weather looked fine on the webcast. I didn't see any rain. 1017 tickets sold is pretty poor considering it was a franchise opener against a very good team. More telling was the lack of sponsors ads. There were none, not even any USL signage that you see at all other games.

That sounds more like a management/marketing issue than community disinterest.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

That sounds more like a management/marketing issue than community disinterest.

It is a management/marketing issue more than community disinterest (which does exist given all of the other failed soccer teams in the area). When you can't even make an effort to promote the first ever game in the clubs history it doesn't bode well for future games. An example of a team that did it right was Carolina. As far as sponsor signage, they didn't even have any USL banners that could be seen. All teams have those.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

[:0]

You know, I would have thought that with a bit of work SF could be a decent USL market.

The work hasn't be done. A friend of mine went to SF this month, and visited Kezar Stadium. Even there, there's no sign of the team's existence. If nobody knows that the team exists, it's not a surprise that nobody shows up

A large part of the initial success of TFC is due to canny marketing by MLSE. No matter what the product or service, if your potential customers don't know about it they are not going to buy it. Elementary really. Maybe the European owners don't really care. I imagine running a USLD1 team is pocket change to a big Euro organisation. They pay individual players more than the entire operating budget for a USLD1 team in some cases.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Just started watching the first ever game for the California Victory against the Rochester Rhinos.

Technical point: first-ever home game. Can't forget their 2-2 draw in their first-ever game at, umm, where was that again? ;)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Technical point: first-ever home game. Can't forget their 2-2 draw in their first-ever game at, umm, where was that again? ;)

It was at the defending USL Champion Vancouver Whitecaps, who this season have added a second star to the area above their crest.

Hapy to jar your memory.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yep, I meant home game. I spent that evening watching the game on USL live and chatting with their supporters who seemed knowledgeable, friendly and numerous. I was hoping that their team would pull out the victory in that game.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

It was at the defending USL Champion Vancouver Whitecaps, who this season have added a second star to the area above their crest.

Added a second star to their jersey to go with one that was not even won by the same franchise while ignoring all of the CSL titles won by the club that is the same franchise. Ridiculous, as ridiculous as wearing that shorts with their road blues.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

As ridiculous as not trying on their blue shorts before leaving for a road trip. Supposedly, the blue shorts were as tight as the nut-huggers the Duze wore back in the day! I'm guessing Umbro will send a new batch soon.

If that was the case why not wear what they have virtually all of their career as the Whitecaps and go with the white shorts on the road? Then when they get some blue shorts they can fit their balls into they can wear them at home. The all white at home and all blue on the road make them look plain, like most other teams in the league.

So were the black shorts from the 86er days?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived