TFC add 6 Canucks

loyola

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/03/30/3870411-sun.html

TFC DEVELOPMENT ADDS 6 CANUCKS

Toronto FC announced yesterday that it has signed six young Canadian players to its development squad.

Signed were goalkeeper Tomer Chencinski, 22, of Thornhill; defenders Stephen Lumley, 19 of Mississauga, and Tyler Hemming, 21, of London, Ont., midfielders Andrew (A.J) Gray, 18 of Brampton, and David Guzman, 22, of Toronto, and forward Andrea Lombardo, 19, of Toronto.

Lumley, Gray and Lombardo are members of the Canadian under-20 men's soccer team.

So by putting Lombardo into the developmental squad, does that mean this opens up another Canadian spot for the senior roster? More room for Asante & MC2 (even though they are both young enough to count for the developmental squad, if I understand the roster rules correctly).

Guest Jeffery S.

Not only three Canucks, but also Toronto area kids. I think that is positive, as long as there is some process whereby occasionally development squad players can find minutes with the first team.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Not only three Canucks, but also Toronto area kids. I think that is positive, as long as there is some process whereby occasionally development squad players can find minutes with the first team.

The developmental squad are effectively the reserves, so any of these guys can play regular first team matches with TFC.

There are some rules regarding the number of matches/minutes they can play before they automatically become senior roster players (and count against the salary cap), so unless they really impress, don't look for any of these guys to log too many minutes with the first team this year.

As for G-L's question, Asante is already signed to the senior roster (as per TFC's official site), but no word on MC2's current situation.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

There are some rules regarding the number of matches/minutes they can play before they automatically become senior roster players (and count against the salary cap), so unless they really impress, don't look for any of these guys to log too many minutes with the first team this year.

Well with the three U20 kids that was always going to be the case this year anyway, what with the U20 tourney taking up a lot of their time until August.

quote:

As for G-L's question, Asante is already signed to the senior roster (as per TFC's official site), but no word on MC2's current situation.

Given the minutes he's getting & the number of open Canadian senior roster spots, I have to figure he's going to be signed.

Archived