David Edgar named Canadian Youth Player ofthe Year

loyola

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2617

Players In The News

Thursday, February 01, 2007

David Edgar, Jodi-Ann Robinson named Canadian Youth Players of the Year

Edgar & Robinson

OTTAWA (ONTARIO) – Canadian teenagers Jodi-Ann Robinson and David Edgar have been named Canadian Youth Players of the Year for the 2006 soccer season. The two stars were honoured in a vote shared by media and online fans.

Amongst Robinson’s highlights was a hat trick against Panamá in the CONCACAF U-20 qualifications in México in January. Amongst Edgar’s highlights was the opening goal in a 2:1 victory over Brasil in a May friendly.

Robinson, 17, played 13 times for Canada’s U-20 team in 2006, including appearances at the CONCACAF U-20 qualifications and the FIFA U-20 World Cup. She scored seven times for the youth team, including the hat trick against Panamá and a pair of goals in a friendly against Australia. Robinson also played four games at the senior level and won a W-League championship with the Vancouver Whitecaps in 2006.

Edgar, 19, played eight times for Canada’s U-20 team in 2006. On his 19th birthday in May, he scored the U-20’s team first-ever goal against Brasil. The goal helped Canada win 2:1, the country’s first over a Brasil men’s team in international competition. Near year’s end on Boxing Day, Edgar made his first appearance with Newcastle United’s first team in the Premiership.

In 2007, Robinson has started the year in Canada’s senior women’s team residency camp in Vancouver. She hopes to represent the country at the 2007 FIFA Women’s World Cup, although at the moment she is the second-youngest player in the camp. Edgar, meanwhile, has made more appearances with Newcastle United’s first team. He is expected to represent his country team at the FIFA U-20 World Cup this summer in Canada.

On Friday, the Canadian Soccer Association is expected to announce the two Canadian Players of the Year (senior teams) and an inaugural CanadaSoccer.com Fan’s Choice Award winner.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

In Edgar's case, I hope that it came down to more than just " the goal". Yes, it was great achievement and moment but you cant judge on just on what someone did in a span of thirty seconds.

If the Voyageurs also held a vote for Canadian U20 player of the year I believe Edgar would definitely be in contention. He is a stalwart in defence for our U20 team, and as most acknowledge around here, one of the 'big three (or four)' along with Johnson and Peters.

Playing regularly with a Premier League team's reserves is a very high level, and as we all know, Edgar has made several first team appearances this season, which included a goal vs Man United.

I believe Edgar is very worthy, congrats to him!

...That being said, Jonathan DeGuzman of Feyenoord is my Canadian youth player of the year, but I guess like around here he wasn't eligable.

Archived