Rosenlund under Generation Adidas Consideration

Gaucho

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Tyler Rosenlund to The TFC!

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Since he's a junior I'm not sure what his plans are, going pro now after coming back from an injury and playing half a college season? Or going back to UCSB for his senior year?

Nice dolphins.

Jim Rome was talking about the UCSB victory today. He was trying to reconcile how to deal with something he loves (UCSB, his alma mater) being successful at something he hates (soccer). This was UCSB's second NCAA title (the '79 Water Polo crown was the first). In the end, he decided to be happy for the thing he loves.

You're going to have to take my word for it, UCSB has babes, and lots of em. I think they even make up 55-60% of the student body, but don't misunderstand... they're quality as well. I'd be lying if I said that didn't factor into my decision to attend there. UCSB is a pretty unique school given its solid academics, party reputation, densely populated student town (about 15,000 in half a square mile right next to campus), location on the beach, and weather. It has also adopted the soccer team as its number one sport.

Personally, I think Rosenlund would be a fool to leave this :)

ucsbfromairzl9.jpg

Yeah, poor Romie! Many people were wondering how he'd react to the Gauchos winning a national title in a sport he hates. The guy bleeds blue and gold, but he absolutely hates soccer. He came through, though. He will likely get a lot of grief for coming out in support of the soccer team, but the alternative was much worse. Many gauchos would never have forgiven him had he panned the accomplishment. Man, the bad karma would have followed him for a lifetime! He wrote the following on his website (with many references only Gauchos would understand:

What an interesting position I find myself in. I love the Gauchos, yet hate soccer. So what do you do when something you love, succeeds at something you hate? And that is where I find myself this morning. The UC Santa Barbara Gauchos just won the NCAA National Championship in men#65533;s soccer. Now what? The unseeded Gauchos beat UCLA 2-1, to win only the second national title for UCSB in any sport. This goes along side the very prestigious water polo title the Gauchos earned in 1979.

I guess those gutsy little Gauchos just had more of what it takes to earn that title. Their mothers had better minivans. They had thicker, juicer orange slices at halftime. They were able to grow longer, greasier mullets than the Bruins. But you know what, as much as I can#65533;t stand the flopping, the low scoring and the general essence of soccer, I am going to take it. I am going to take that national championship and savor it as a fellow Gaucho. I will put my soccer grudge aside for a while and embrace the players and the win.

You need to understand, Gauchos don#65533;t win national titles. Granted, I would much prefer if we were going to grab a basketball, baseball, lacrosse, swimming, women#65533;s basketball, darts, billiards, sloshball, burning couches, beer drinking or any other sport, but soccer will do. I am going to be very proud when they hang that NCAA championship banner to the rafter of the Francisco Torres Cafeteria. In fact, I think they should adopt a Stanley Cup type celebration. Each guy gets it for a few days. Someone could take it to Sam#65533;s to go and let Merdad will it with natty light. Someone could take it to Woodstock#65533;s for a few pitchers. Someone could drag that thing over to Giovanni's for a few slices and monster beers. Too bad the Graduate is gone or they could have built a permanent trophy case for the thing inside that place. All soccer smack aside, a job very well done by the #65533;Chos. Enjoy the title fellas, Gauchos everywhere are proud!

Archived