Porto

CSKA Moskva

Hamburg

H

Milan

Lille

AEK Athens

Anderlecht

If Bremen can play in the Champions the way they're playing in the Bundesliga......it'll make things very interesting. Diego is finally stepping into his own after being played out of position in Porto and Hugo Almeida promises to be one of Portugal's best ever strikers.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Wow! This draw was really fixed. Madrid v Lyon again! Chelsea v Barca again! Benfica v Man U again! Celtic v Man U again!

I agree.

Group of Death: Arsenal, Porto, CSKA and Hamburger.

Group of Life: Milan, Lille, AEK Athens, Anderlecht

I think Group A is still the Group of Death, even with the inclusion of Levski. And Group F is definitely the weakest.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Hey amacpher...

As big a Porto fan as I am, there's no way Group G is the group of death...

Which group would you nominate then? I don't think Group "A" is the GOD since you have 2 teams vastly superior to the other two.

My totally biased early picks;

A - Barcelona, Chelsea advance, Bremen to UEFA, Levski out

Tough games for all involved

B - Inter, Sporting advance, Bayern to UEFA, Spartak out

Inter is a given , Sporting will impress, Whoregraves will play bad

C - Liverpool, Galatasaray advance, PSV to UEFA, Bordeaux out

I'm hoping for a Turkish revival...or a massive brawl

D - Valencia, Roma advance, Olympiakos to UEFA, Shaktar out

E - Lyon, Real advance, Dynamo to UEFA, Steaua out

Lyon should go further this year

F - Man U, Benfica advance, Celtic to UEFA, Kobenhavn out

The Roo-Ro show in Manchester, and in Lisbon, Rui Costa is back as a Maestro and Kinkin is looking good

G - Arsenal, Porto advance, CSKA to UEFA, Hamburg out

Please Porto!!!! And I'll put on the St. Pauli jersey when Hamburg is out of Europe

H - Milan, Anderlecht advance, Lille to UEFA, AEK out

amacpher - Bremen has been solid the last few years and their additions this summer has made them look good so far. They're far stronger than people give them credit for. Neither Barça or Chelsea will have it easy.

quote:Originally posted by EZmac

Oh Mourinho. Just days after complaining about Chelsea's seeding and having a 1 in 5 chance of ending up in their pool. It happens.

Nothing is going poor Chelsea's way. Boo hoo.

Yeah, that was some of the most ridiculous complaining Jose ever did. It's one thing to say that the seeding formula is flawed (i happen to agree), but then he went on about it being flawed against Chelsea and how winning it will be "an uphill battle".

Laughable when you consider that they were a #2 seed, which means they actually have a "head start" over more than half the other teams.

I wonder what Jose's excuses will be this year after Barca rips him a new one. [:o)]

quote:Originally posted by canso

Hutch against Hargreaves! Brilliant!

Kick him for me Attiba![}:)]

How is this going to happen? Bayern and FC Copenhagen aren't in the same group. Unless Hargreaves is transferred (to Man U).

Kick him anyways. [B)]

Yeah, that was some of the most ridiculous complaining Jose ever did. It's one thing to say that the seeding formula is flawed (i happen to agree), but then he went on about it being flawed against Chelsea and how winning it will be "an uphill battle".

Laughable when you consider that they were a #2 seed, which means they actually have a "head start" over more than half the other teams.

I wonder what Jose's excuses will be this year after Barca rips him a new one. [:o)]

He was complaining the fact that the League champions (Chelsea) were in Pot 2 when Liverpool and Arsenal were both in Pot 1 and sucked domestically compared to Chelsea. He does have a point.

Hargreaves is all but transferred. Another reason to hate ManUre.

Daydream Smiles: Atiba plays Hargreaves off the pitch twice. :)Fergie resigns to go run the Scotland team realizing he's wasted the transfer kitty on a gutless curly haired poodle. Liverpool win the bidding war for Hutch and he's in glorious red by next September. :D

He was complaining the fact that the League champions (Chelsea) were in Pot 2 when Liverpool and Arsenal were both in Pot 1 and sucked domestically compared to Chelsea. He does have a point.

He definately has a point. But so did Liverpool after they won and just about didn't qualify the following year. There will always be problems. I just think it's funny that the worst possible situation for Chelsea did occur.

Is Champions league like the world cup and if there is a team in your group and you both make the playoffs you wouldn't have to meet again until the finals? If so this could be in Chelsea's and Barca's favour.

I cheer for Chelsea because of Mourinho and having Barcelona and Bremen in the group will force Chelsea to 1)play better and 2)Mourinho to start with the media stuff again. It guarantees excitement and drama, and is great for the fans.

As for the draw, I believe they seed the Group winners and then match them with the seeded second place teams. BUT, no two teams from the same country meet in the round of 16, so some groups could see the first and second place finisher play in the quarterfinals, others in the semi, others only in the finals.

He has a point about the seeding formula being flawed, but he's talking rubbish when he goes-on about Chelsea's disadvantage and how they have an uphill battle.

Only teams in pots 3 and 4 have an uphill battle since they have to knock-off a higher seed to advance.

Anybody else agree that UEFA should do-away with the 4 pot system for these draws? We get the same teams in the same groups year-after-year. Wouldn't it be better to have just 2 pots (pot "A" #1 to #16, pot "B" #17 to #32)? Then each group would consist of 2 teams from each pot.

Using this latter method would pretty much ensure that we don't have the same teams playing each other every frickin' season!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

You agree that this is the first time Man U and Celtic have ever faced each other in an official European match? Or are you disappointed about them having played a friendly or two before?

Okay, you can take-out one of my "again"s. Still pretty "interesting" that the 2 biggest possible pairings (Barca v Chelsea; Man U v Celtic) both occurred. [8)]

Guest Jeffery S.

Okay, you can take-out one of my "again"s. Still pretty "interesting" that the 2 biggest possible pairings (Barca v Chelsea; Man U v Celtic) both occurred. [8)]

Still have not gotten it? Tell me when Manchester Utd and Celtic have faced each other in an official match and I leave it be. They have only see each other in friendlies, never in an official European club match. This will be the first time.

Archived