CSL Week 2 [R]

I went to Brockton Stadium and never officially found out the game was cancelled between Toronto Supra Portuguese and London City but the gates were locked. I came by transit so didn't have time to get to another game. A sign on the fence would have been nice. A mini van full of 20- somethings cellphoned the league office but couldn't get a reply.

I guess I've got to log on before I leave home to find out any last minute changes. Not much different than last year and that was because of bad weather or defaulting teams. I chose that game because I may only get to see London City in the Toronto area twice this year.

I changed the title of this thread from one match to the entire week. But I'm not sure how the weeks are being counted. When do weeks start and end - Friday to Thursday? That would seem to make the most sense since most games are played on weekends (that's the reason why we have our Canadians abroad weekly threads run from Friday to Thursday). By that definition, the three games on May 28 are the only games of Week 2. The next game on June 2 starts Week 3. Anyway, that's just my suggestion.

CSL summary of the weekend:

BRAMPTON AND WHITE EAGLES POST WEEKEND WINS

Sunday - May 28, 2006

Brampton Stallions were off on the right foot with an impressive 2-1 home victory over Oakville Blue Devils at Victoria Park in Brampton Sunday night, the first game of the season for both teams, and Serbian White Eagles blanked Italia Shooters 2-0 at The Soccer Centre in Vaughan. In a third game, Caribbean Selects and North York Astros played to a scoreless tie at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke.

Oneil Sang opened the scoring after just 10 minutes for the Stallions and the 1-0 lead held up until Blue Devils’ forward Judah Hernandez tied the game 1-1 at the 72nd minute mark. Michael Aigbokie scored the winner for Brampton seven minutes from time.

It’s two for two for Serbian White Eagles with their 2-0 shutout win over Italia Shooters on goals by Gabriel Pop in the first half and Sasa Viciknez after the interval. The victory follows the 3-2 win for the Eagles over Italia in the league opener May 19. Pop and Viciknez also scored in that game.

It was a midfield struggle for both teams at Centennial Stadium, a game that ended scoreless for newcomers Caribbean Selects of the CSL’s International Division and longstanding North York Astros. Greg Stevens and Doug Sereti both had opportunities to score for the Caribbean side, but the best chance to win the game was presented to Janarthan Sadacharalingam who put the ball just over the bar for the Astros two minutes from time.

The Canadian Soccer League continues next Friday when London City hosts St. Catharines Wolves at The Cove in London, an 8.38 p.m. start, and there are four more games in the CSL that weekend.

The Toronto Supra game was cancelled as the Supra are trying to get the management of Brockton Supra to sod new grass in the middle of the field as the field is in a mess due to games being played there 7 days a week. The meeting is tonight but the sodding should have been done in April or early May and not in June. Another mismangement by the Supra and the Brockton Committee.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

over 3000 were at the white eagles vs. italia shooters.....

Geez. That's more than the Lynx get. Maybe the CSL is onto something with this International Division. I, personally, do not have a problem with it.

quote:Geez. That's more than the Lynx get. Maybe the CSL is onto something with this International Division. I, personally, do not have a problem with it.

Yes, the Lynx could re-brand themselves as the "whatever pathetic ethnic affiliation you want team, cuz I'm a Canadian immigrant and couldn't possibly identify with a footballer whose last name didn't match with names that relate to the country my dad came from" team.

How about, "this is the best 11 guys we could field no matter where we might think they come from." I thought that is what multiculturalism was meant to be. Evidently not.

quote:Originally posted by Steve B

Yes, the Lynx could re-brand themselves as the "whatever pathetic ethnic affiliation you want team, cuz I'm a Canadian immigrant and couldn't possibly identify with a footballer whose last name didn't match with names that relate to the country my dad came from" team.

How about, "this is the best 11 guys we could field no matter where we might think they come from." I thought that is what multiculturalism was meant to be. Evidently not.

couple of comments.

- get over the entire "be a canadian or we'll mock you" mantra. it's just so ummmm Hockey.

- multicuturalism is about allowing people to maintain their heritage. And the CSL is doing just that. Nothing is stopping a Hindu from going to a Serbian/Italia game or a Canadian guy at that as well.

-Man add a greek and a haitain team in Montreal and what a great league you'll really have.

- Tie for the Selects and people were expecting doom for them. A tie after a single game means they have the league by the balls.

quote:get over the entire "be a canadian or we'll mock you" mantra. it's just so ummmm Hockey.

The White Eagles and Selects have hockey teams?

quote:Nothing is stopping a Hindu from going to a Serbian/Italia game or a Canadian guy at that as well.

Believe it or not a "Hindu" and "Canadian guy" could be a single person. In any event, the attendence figures league wide indicate that people are finding plenty of reasons not to attend games - reasons like games being cancelled because of field conditions.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

More and more the CSL is becoming a joke. Certainly that 3,000 got in on tickets cheaper than what the Lynx have.

CSL commissioner Cary Kaplan was pleased with the start and has made a point that the league’s schedule of 150 league, cup and exhibition matches will result in a very substantial aggregate attendance in 2006.

"The Canadian Soccer League is very excited that the league's first two official matches had a cumulative of attendance of over 3,000. That’s more than any previous year of record.

"We hope that as the season progresses, these significant numbers will continue.

3000 for two games in CSL for first weekend

in Windsor - 1500 or so - Border Stars annual boys and girls soccer tournament - those attending got special rate to come to home opener - lot of young players with parents

Border Stars vs Clyde - 1500 paying $10 to $20 per head

Border Stars will be fortunate to get 400 to 600 per game average this year at home unless massive push to sell seats

I don't consider those figures a joke although they could do a lot better with some serious promotion.

JMHO

As for the Lynx; love to have them in Windsor for a game. Have a great season!

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

More and more the CSL is becoming a joke. Certainly that 3,000 got in on tickets cheaper than what the Lynx have.

Explain in detail why it's a joke. As long as it's not getting government hand-outs (like Toronto FC) then it's not a joke.

I'm sure if Edmonton had a 10 team league drawing 250 a game--you'd be calling for the reinstatement of the Aviators and entry in the EPL.

there was 3000 people at the two games the first week...

and over 3000 at the White Eagles vs. Italia Shooters game.

this is a great thing, i really dont no why you are trying to put a bad spin on this doyle...even if the tickets were a few bucks cheaper than those of the lynx.

Up the CSL

Up Canadian Soccer

Archived