Level of Canadian soccer leagues

NJ

With Toronto FC joining the MLS, I'm trying to get a sense of the caliber of the various Canadian soccer leagues. The two leagues that I've identified so far are the CPSL and the PCSL - (Are there other leagues that are at a similar level?). How would these leagues fit in based upon the USL pyramid? Any intel or perspectives would be appreciated.

I always thought that PCSL was also considered Div 2...

After those two though, it starts getting tricky. I think leagues like the AMSL, LSEQ, and mabey the NSSL would be classifed in a sort of "Div. 3 (or 4) bracket together. The trouble is that there are leagues based in cities and on reginal levels, like Vancouver's Metro League, that can certainly rival some provincial levels.

Manitoba has a provincial league I think and B.C. and Ontario have several quality amateur circuts, but Im not sure about Sask. and the rest of the Maritimes.

It would be nice to see the CSA start to tackle this issue and start classifying respective leagues together in tiers, even if they are scattered across the country. It would provide some much need clarity and unity hopfully.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that the national soccer body needs to lead the way in developing a coherent regional structure and a meaningful national championship for Canadian soccer. However the cooperation of the various leagues including the USL is necessary to make it work. A difficult task but worth the effort.

In any event, soccer seems to have some momentum in Canada between Toronto FC joining the MLS and the Whitecaps' new stadium. Hopefully some of the other major cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, etc.) can get into the act.

If we're talking about caliber of play, let's cast aside economics and what's "official" and focus on reality.

MLS & USL D1 are damn close, despite MLS' div one status.

The top 6 USL D1 teams are just as skilled and competitive as the bottom 6 MLS teams. You'll see that when Vancouver eventually gets its MLS franchise, which unlike Toronto, will actually be comprised of the core of the existing USL team.

Next step down is USL D2, followed by PDL.

And hot on the heels of PDL are all the regional leagues - PCSL, CPSL, etc.

At the very bottom you'll find the Toronto Lynx, which have somehow become an unremovable barnacle growing on the arse of USL D1.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Next step down is USL D2, followed by PDL.

And hot on the heels of PDL are all the regional leagues - PCSL, CPSL, etc.

I agree with the assesment that A-league should be ranked as Cdn. Div 1 with MLS, but putting the all the CSL and PCSL outrightly below the USL div 2 and PDL is a stretch. I know how much bad press the CSL gets on here, but I think there are alot of teams in these leagues that could certainly defeat many USL-2 and PDL teams. There are even alot of Canadian senior amateur clubs that could compete with USL 2 and PDL I think.

Until any team can get even close to premiership play or even Europcup play, it will amount to nothing here in Canada, and bring "money" and politics, what do you end up with???? The joke MLS has become in the U.S.

uote]Originally posted by hamiltonfan

MLS

USL D1

USL D2-CSL

PDL- PCSL- Top Senior Leagues

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

MLS & USL D1 are damn close, despite MLS' div one status.

The top 6 USL D1 teams are just as skilled and competitive as the bottom 6 MLS teams. You'll see that when Vancouver eventually gets its MLS franchise, which unlike Toronto, will actually be comprised of the core of the existing USL team.

Based upon head-to-head competition in meaningful games (ie, the US Open Cup), you'd have to conclude that the MLS (as a league) is a notch above the USL-1. Through 2005, MLS teams have won 58 of 82 US Open Cup matches against USL-1 teams and (of course) 9 out of 10 cups. Fairly dramatic numbers.

I definitely buy in to the argument that the top teams in the USL-1 can beat a MLS team on any given day but overall the USL-1 is a weaker league.

Wait till the money and politics kick into 5th gear, you people aint seen nothing yet!!!!!! It is NEVER about the best player or his skills, ONLY about who he knows and how much money he or his daddy has, don't believe me, just sit back and watch the developments in the next few years! MLS is a joke!!!!

te]Originally posted by NJ

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that the national soccer body needs to lead the way in developing a coherent regional structure and a meaningful national championship for Canadian soccer. However the cooperation of the various leagues including the USL is necessary to make it work. A difficult task but worth the effort.

In any event, soccer seems to have some momentum in Canada between Toronto FC joining the MLS and the Whitecaps' new stadium. Hopefully some of the other major cities (Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, etc.) can get into the act.

Have any CPSL clubs played any PDL clubs in the past? It's difficult to judge these things, but it would seem to me that a good CPSL club should be competitive with PDL clubs and even the lower USL D2 teams. However, the poorer CPSL sides likely would take a beating by all USL D2 clubs and many PDL clubs.

Also, I wonder if any AMSL clubs have ever faced PCSL opposition. Based on all indications, the PCSL sounds like a stronger league, but I'd be curious to see how a good AMSL side would fare against these clubs.

Jason

It's not the PLACES that is the problem here in the states, it's the agendas of the PEOPLE with the money. Again, your post only shows me you haven't experienced the politics at the MLS level yet. You have NO clue how many GIFTED players are sitting behind computers or waiting tables because good old BRUCE or whoever put his favorite in instead of talent. It's all over the soccer industry right now and the level of fan participation is proof enough!!!

ote]Originally posted by hamiltonfan

places that will put money into soccer will get a team...its pretty simply..i think we all no that wc06

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Have any CPSL clubs played any PDL clubs in the past? It's difficult to judge these things, but it would seem to me that a good CPSL club should be competitive with PDL clubs and even the lower USL D2 teams. However, the poorer CPSL sides likely would take a beating by all USL D2 clubs and many PDL clubs.

Also, I wonder if any AMSL clubs have ever faced PCSL opposition. Based on all indications, the PCSL sounds like a stronger league, but I'd be curious to see how a good AMSL side would fare against these clubs.

Jason

Jason, the Thunder Bay Chill hosted a 4 team tournament consisting of the Chill, Ottawa Fury, Thunder Bay Juventus, and Winnipeg Lucania this past long weekend. The game results were as follows:

Chill 3 - Ottawa 0

Lucania 2 - Juventus 0

Ottawa 3 - Juventus 2

Lucania 0 - Chill 0

Chill 2 - Juventus 2

Lucania 2 - Ottawa 0

Final, Chill 2 - Lucania 1

3/4th place game - Ottawa 5 - Juventus 0

Lucania finished the round robin at the top with 7 pts, Chill finished 2nd with 5 pts, Ottawa 3 pts, Juventus 2 pts.

Juventus and Lucania are "amateur" teams and Lucania was clearly capable of competing with the Chill who were in my opinion the strongest team in the tournament. Ottawa was fortunate to beat Juventus in their round robin game but I think the 5-0 victory on Sunday proved that they were clearly a stronger team. Lucania (once again) proved that Winnipeg should have a PDL team.

So the point is - there are good teams every where in Canada and with the exception of the Montreal Impact and Vancouver W'Caps who are clearly the class of soccer in Canada, there is very little seperating the remainder of the top 10 - 15 teams regardless of what league they play in.

Archived