Lamport stadium

georgeg

I saw some e-mails going around in your website about Lamport stadium, it's condition etc.

It was interesting for me, as I played there when it was a new stadium (1976). It was a top class stadium then, but as far as I could read in the forum, it has deteriorated and is not used for soccer anymore - is this true?

I played for Chinguacousy Thistle (from Bramalea) and we played in the Toronto Premier League.

I have since returned to my home in Glasgow, Scotland, but have fond memories of my soccer days in Canada.

Anyone out there who played in the stadium?

quote:Originally posted by georgeg

I saw some e-mails going around in your website about Lamport stadium, it's condition etc.

It was interesting for me, as I played there when it was a new stadium (1976). It was a top class stadium then, but as far as I could read in the forum, it has deteriorated and is not used for soccer anymore - is this true?

I played for Chinguacousy Thistle (from Bramalea) and we played in the Toronto Premier League.

I have since returned to my home in Glasgow, Scotland, but have fond memories of my soccer days in Canada.

Anyone out there who played in the stadium?

Hey, I played there....also played in the Chinguacousy system as a kid. The stadium has been neglected but is in no way derelict. I was a proponent of saving the taxpayer some dough by expanding and refurbishing Lamport to bring us a 20,000 seat stadium here....turns out not many people thought it was a good idea and it seems the politicians didn't even look at it.

i don't think all the people were totally against the idea of having Lamport refurbished. I for one, have always favoured a renovated Lamport since UofT decided to neglect Varsity stade and then finally, left it up to a wrecking ball. If the Lynx had some pull or some sort of vision, they coould have enticed some official or someone with deep pockets to expand it or spruce it up to par. but, no one in end cared. i think the Argos made one attempt but found it wasn't feasible.

i had many memories at lamport back in the early 80's, then most of my play shifted to Esther SHiner, Centennial, Rainbow Creek, St. Clair Stade, Lawrence Park, Birchmount, etc.

in the end, no one, and i mean no one, wanted to play on that carpet, it was too dangerous.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nobody is against the idea of having Lamport renovated. What people were against was renovating it at the expense of having a new stadium that would be more suitable to everyone's needs.

you mean MLSE's needs.

Here's an other thread turning into an original one.... [:o)]

Nobody is against the idea of having Lamport renovated. What people were against was renovating it at the expense of having a new stadium that would be more suitable to everyone's needs.

See, the problem is nobody knows how much it would cost to renovate, or even if it's possible. Did the city or the CSA look into it? Cause if they did, nothing was publically reported (was it?).

How is a new stadium (basically across the street) "more suitable to everyone's needs"?

There is room on both sides of Lamport to add a 2nd deck. There's room on the south side (where the parking lot is) to build stands. I believe it's all factories around there, so that shouldn't be an issue (meaning if it was a residential area there would be a problem).

I think people have posted here that the field is too small. Well, is it possible to remove the first 2-3 rows, even from just one side? How much would it cost? Was the foundation built to support a 2nd deck? We just don't know.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

See, the problem is nobody knows how much it would cost to renovate, or even if it's possible. Did the city or the CSA look into it? Cause if they did, nothing was publically reported (was it?).

How is a new stadium (basically across the street) "more suitable to everyone's needs"?

There is room on both sides of Lamport to add a 2nd deck. There's room on the south side (where the parking lot is) to build stands. I believe it's all factories around there, so that shouldn't be an issue (meaning if it was a residential area there would be a problem).

I think people have posted here that the field is too small. Well, is it possible to remove the first 2-3 rows, even from just one side? How much would it cost? Was the foundation built to support a 2nd deck? We just don't know.

I think everyone is in agreement that the idea was not looked into. People have differentl levels of opinion as to wether or not that is an issue.

I think it is sad because it is another example of our throw away society and also, potentially, a waste of taxpayer's money (ie. if we could have brought Lampy up to 20,000 and replaced the turf for less than the $45 million or so {plus land} that the taxpayers put into New Lamport, then we as taxpayers would be ahead of the game and we as soccer fans would still have our stadium). Others don't seem as phased by that.

That is what makes this an opinion/discussion board.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

No, there are residents around that area. There isn't enough room to fit a 20,000 stadium that is also potentially expandable to 30,000, plus a training facility and now with a hotel attached to it. Granted the latter is a recent addition, but as I had mentioned before, having extra space to create additional facilities or host other events around the stadium was always something the interested parties were going to look into. You can't do that at Lamport where the field is barely squeezed into the stadium - just ask the player that went head first into the cement wall.

No, there are residents around that area. There isn't enough room to fit a 20,000 stadium that is also potentially expandable to 30,000, plus a training facility and now with a hotel attached to it. Granted the latter is a recent addition, but as I had mentioned before, having extra space to create additional facilities or host other events around the stadium was always something the interested parties were going to look into. You can't do that at Lamport where the field is barely squeezed into the stadium - just ask the player that went head first into the cement wall.

I have to agree with G-L. It's just not suitable for expansion. If you want to knock the whole thing down and start over again, you might make the site work but there would be no room left for parking. The north end is only five metres from the street. No room for expansion there (or any seats at all for that matter). Ya you could add a south stand and make it a horseshoe like Varsity but there goes your parking lot.

I would also suspect that the NIMBY's would be out in force.

Also, it's a canyon. The soccer field is way too close to the stands. It's more dangerous than Ivor Wynne.

If you're going to put money into a project of this type, don't waste it trying to upgrade an old sock and end up with something half-assed. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Also, let's face it, a new stadium has an appeal. It's a marketing tool.

if Lamport is the only option, yes, try to make it a go. but, there are other, i would say better options and CNE was a good one.

Also, there are soo many condos that are being erected (Don't get excited Goof-Man [:P] ) and sprawling right out of the Entetainment District and very rapidly too.

Archived