A trial run [for Toronto MLS supporters]?

BusanBhoy

Brothers (and perhaps even one day Sisters (though I doubt it)) of the support. {BTW going with my union vibe - this is how I think the membership should be addressed (even better if you can pull off a nice little Malcolm Mcdowell Clockwork Orange(no not you John) twang to it - Bruther}

Anyway, I was wondering if it would be prudent (seperate and beyond any potential road trip) if we attempted a few dry runs - as it were-over this coming season? Now, I wouldn't want to offend any Links (as in missing) Bruthers, but I don't think that that environment has what I see as the right ingredients for a true - dress rehersal -for lack of any better description.

What I ponder is as follows:

As we are thinking of the wheatsheaf - we try it out, this will begin the process of logistics research - who drives - who car pools -where is there parking - will the bar emrace us - streetcar patterns - is the food any good - is there smashing pumpkins music in the juke box - travel times etc etc.....

Now I suggest we try this out on a jays game. The merrits of baseball arn't really relevant to my thinking. The skydome is large, the bleachers are cheap enough and we can get all together. the staff is notorious for being a frumpy bunch with people having a good time ( good practice) We could go into it as a way to practice anything we want - coordinating ourselves - trying to get a reponse - figuring out if there are any songs that prove infectious to the local punter - keeping our selves duely motivated if things get slow - etc etc etc.

Perhaps a dumb idea, but it has merit in my head ANyway a Sat Jays game is a 4 or 4:30 "kickoff" so even the timing seems kind of right.

I don't know, its Just the start of ideas. If there are any comments improvements or (most hopefuly) better ideas. I would be interested in seeing them here.

The floor is yours....

SING UP THE UNION!

P.S. there is also the benifit of marketing ourselves to potential membership

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not looking for a debate on the lynx mate. Just think of it as training. Like the bike work. Or probably more so the pysios table. there is no reason why some or all involved can't go to the lynx. its just that, that isn't my idea here. feel free to propose another, but i just felt that in this idea we are also "practicing' the gathering aspect, the warm up aspect, and some of the planning aspects. make sense?

What I mean to say is ... Lets prepare away so that we can step into a football environment with some serious groove on.

I'm not looking for a debate either, and if my post came off as hostile, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent.

My point was, why should we go out of our way to practice chants at a soccer game when we can just as easily do that at a Lynx game?

And to be honest, I don't think practicing chants is the way to go. In my experience, this is the type of thing that sounds ok in theory, but in practice is best left to spontanious behaviour. In our history, the Ultras have often dabbled with the idea of going with a more organized, pre-planned structure. Yet everytime this topic comes up, we always seem to revert back to spur of the moment creativity. It's always been this spontonaity that has served us best in the long run and led to some of our most cherished "traditions."

I also have a bit of an issue with using another sporting event as our own personal guinea pig. It pisses me off when Hockey fans chant "Go Leafs Go!" in the middle of August at the Dome, and I'm a Leaf fan. I can't see it being any different with soccer chants.

Bruthers,

to be honest there were no 'chants' per say in my vision (not to rule them out either - just not in my vision) I was actually more thinking along the lines of song. Wondering if ther are any that touch a nerve with enough of the people of this area, that if 40 - 50 guys were singing it you would get caught up and find yourself singing it as well. Think of it as a kind of Group Dynamics 101.

Don't think of it as a using of the Jays either, in fact enjoy the game, I was much more thinking of process than anything else.

*PLEASE KEEP IN MIND - this is just a mental purge - i have in no way concidered it enough to actually think its a good (or workable) idea.

Yet!

OH ho!

You don't get me I'm part of the union

Till the day I die

Till the day I die

We're gonna roll, we're gonna roll, we're gonna roll the union on

We're gonna roll, we're gonna roll, we're gonna roll the union on

SING UP THE UNION!

Lynx games sound good. Many of us already go to every one of them. Now its up to the new boys or bhoys ( for our celtic fan) to come out and experiance the LYNX :) hehe. Despite the product and the facilities, its live soccer and nothing beats watching live soccer.

So the home opener it is. I cant wait to get my voice out of hibernation :)

i could understand, maybe i'm wrong on this, but is the intention for a jays game to practice on how to liven up a crowd. I know basebball fans were voted the most boring fans on some obscure poll i came across once. Or, is the intention to drive some interest towards MLS support in exchange for jays support???

i prefer to attend Lynx games and chant songs that will get back at the ownership and make the final dwindling support that remains with the Lynx to switch to the Dark Side[}:)] because goooood sucks (sorry, Spaceballs crossed my minds). Anyways, what better way to get back at the Hartrells for years of EXTREME futility, abysmal and downright unprofessional approach to soccer in this city.

i would propose, we make every effort to attend school day. infiltrate the kid's minds at the game and lead them to the promise land of the MLS, hehehe[:P]

if you want atmosphere in this city, you can't beat an Argos game. i consider it the last bastion of pure fandamonium. Fans dressed up or painted faces, chanting, screaming, cursing, inebriated and getting kicked out, fights esp. with Hamiltonian fans. Ironicly (if thats a word), STOP THE VIOLENCE.

Leaf games would obviously be too expensive and would we would get kicked out on an instant, TOOOOO CORPORATE for my liking, anyways.

keep the ideas and brainstorm coming, fellas.

i could understand, maybe i'm wrong on this, but is the intention for a jays game to practice on how to liven up a crowd. I know basebball fans were voted the most boring fans on some obscure poll i came across once. Or, is the intention to drive some interest towards MLS support in exchange for jays support???

i prefer to attend Lynx games and chant songs that will get back at the ownership and make the final dwindling support that remains with the Lynx to switch to the Dark Side[}:)] because goooood sucks (sorry, Spaceballs crossed my minds). Anyways, what better way to get back at the Hartrells for years of EXTREME futility, abysmal and downright unprofessional approach to soccer in this city.

i would propose, we make every effort to attend school day. infiltrate the kid's minds at the game and lead them to the promise land of the MLS, hehehe[:P]

if you want atmosphere in this city, you can't beat an Argos game. i consider it the last bastion of pure fandamonium. Fans dressed up or painted faces, chanting, screaming, cursing, inebriated and getting kicked out, fights esp. with Hamiltonian fans. Ironicly (if thats a word), STOP THE VIOLENCE.

Leaf games would obviously be too expensive and would we would get kicked out on an instant, TOOOOO CORPORATE for my liking, anyways.

keep the ideas and brainstorm coming, fellas.

May 14th is the home opener ( mother day as well, so bring the old lady out) I think its a 4 p.m start so I sugguest a pre match tailgate/BBQ we had one last season and it worked great. Especially with montreal making the trip. Having them walking to the stadium and singing anti Toronto songs and us chanting abck at them and giving them fingers was great. So I say we do that. If your going to attend one lynx game this year let this be the one. Cue Jay "We gonna have a salad and a litle bbq and you're all invited too"

When I first saw the thread I was assuming that this was a thread about the road trip to Columbus we are thinking about to sit on a group of 30 or 40 at the stadium, chant pro-Toronto MLS songs in our own little world, while totally ignoring the game. Which I think is a great idea. Juaninho was telling me that he already has a whole bunch of anti-other MLS team chants ready & raring to go so we could hopefully debut them at that time if Juaninho is back in town by that point.

I'm not as enthusiastic about a Jays game, but if there was an opening in the schedule I'd probably go along. I'm not really interested in the Jays per se, but the thought of going there & annoying the rest of the crowd by making noise, promoting the MLS soccer team, insulting Rogers, with chants and generally being really silly appeals. Its just that with a road trip, Lynx games, Lynx road trips (the thought of going to Rochester and taunting them about the lack of their MLS team while the Lynx lose 4-0 also really appeals), work, the World Cup and moving into a new house the schedule for me personally may be a little (as Goldmember would say) tight, tight. Its probably better to do it in April before the avalanche of summer soccer happens.

Next up as well is scouting pubs closer to where the stadium will be. I think we should do that for the next meeting, one because of the Billy Corgan incident but also because once May rolls around I suspect most of us will be meeting up at the Firkin in Etobicoke after Lynx matches (and those that don't want to go to Lynx matches can still meet up with us at the pub afterwards).

quote:Originally posted by Franky

I think if we do the Jays thing it definitely should be used to promote the new team in some way. Especially as Dave Perkins will probably be watching.

So that makes:

1 Jays Game

1 road/air trip to Columbus/Chicago

1 road trip to Rochester

The World Cup

Showing up en masse for the official stadium announcement (if there is one)

and a copious number of Lynx matches

All good, even if everyone can't make everything (which will be the case), because one of the goals I think we have to have is to get as large as possible as a group prior to the start of MLS in 2007, and the more visible we become, the better chance we will have. Once the website is ready we will be able to direct people to that.

Alright Bruthers, I'll put my hand up on this one, I'll take my first (of no doubt many) booking.

I get it, bad idea.

Back to the drwaing board

However,

I have become a little confussed on how this thread has gone.

No animosity at all in my puzzlement just wondering...

I was under the impression from the meetings so far, that this endeavor was to be completly new and seperate from the Lynx support. Now first please understand NOTHING AGAINST THEM, some fantastic, wise and passionate bhoys(and I wouldn't use the h lightly), God bless them every one. I just thought that the idea was that this would be new, and that, although the crossover of bodies is obvious, this wasn't an attempt at enlarging the pre existing group, but rather, the birthing of a new entity. I got the feeling that the Lynx just didn't provide a fertile enough soil in which to plant this new seed (if this turns out to be wrong - i won't be dissappointed, just suprised) I guess only time will tell. Thanks to all for their input. I'll know better than to brainstorm sober in the future. Cheers

P.S. Tom, is this a different roadtrip than talked about Sat, or a modification of said?

SING UP THE UNION!

OHHHHHHH!

We'll Beat Chicgo Fire,

And the Dallas Team As Well,

Laugh at Poor Columbus,

Tell Houston, Their name smell(s),

We'll Quash the Revolution, (answerd with the fill in)AGAIN!

And send Re al back to Hell,

The Union Marches On,

Well, Galaxy's a Stupid Name,

The Metrostars as Well,

Chivas Canne Kick a Ball,

And DC Will Be Felled,

Wizards, Rapids, We Don't Rate,

To All Of You We Tell,

The Union Marches On,

Golry, Glory to The Union,

All Will Fall Before The Union,

Glory, Shine On From The Union,