A trial run [for Toronto MLS supporters]?

BusanBhoy

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

I get it, bad idea.

Back to the drwaing board

A lot of people said it was a good idea, actually.

quote:

I just thought that the idea was that this would be new, and that, although the crossover of bodies is obvious, this wasn't an attempt at enlarging the pre existing group, but rather, the birthing of a new entity.

I don't see how you can have latter without the former unless you prevent all the guys that used to meet up at Lynx games (which I know is not anybody's intention). It will be a larger version of the pre-existing group and it will have a new identity since it will be an MLS team supporters group.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your puzzlement though. The idea behind attending the Lynx matches this year is for a group of friends to continue to meet up & hang out on a social basis, have fun at (for the final year) the top level of pro soccer in the city and practice the Toronto "game day experience" with new friends & fellow MLS supporters that want to come out to try things ahead of time, so that we can hit the ground running like a well-oiled machine on opening day, 2007. I think that's it in a nutshell, and I wouldn't read too much more into it. I don't think there will be many of the pre-existing group that are planning to seriously support the Lynx by 2007. That's why on Saturday we were talking about debuting new chants at Lynx games this season like "I want a new club" to the tune "I want a new drug" or "We've got a new club now, and its not like you" to the tune of "New Girl Now", etc. [8D]

PS - Love the song lyrics there. That's the sort of thing we need to rehearse this spring & summer. [^]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, Ilove that I now have made another person use 'puzzlement' in a sentence. I shall be the death of sensical communication.

Second, I get what you say and I accept it. But (there I go again), I don't think you rweally understood my concern. No worry. Cheers.

SING UP THE UNION!

MOB1.jpg

Second, I get what you say and I accept it. But (there I go again), I don't think you rweally understood my concern. No worry. Cheers.

You're right, hence my puzzlement. Tell you what though, you can explain it to me in person at the next meeting over a few beers, assuming Billy Corgan doesn't try to prevent it from happening of course.

they have the Crew, why not Union. we have union station, many unions in T.O. that always want to strike including wildcat ones.

funny, i thought of the Union name the day of the meeting and when you suggested it, i was floored, i couldn't believe my ears. However, the TCU acronym might go so well, esp. if you like to wager college stuff as refers to Texas Christion Univ.

but i like Union, like Toronto Union City. sounds original, puts all origins from around the world coming together to form a union in one whole city with peace and harmony. City is something i always liked. THerefore,

Toronto Union City Football Club.

See gentlemen, the wisdom is starting to flow...

speaking of the crew, I in no way advocate black and yellow (i'm just not to good at the computer stuff)...

I wouldn't worry about any particular US college, there are so many that every name and colour is likely tied up in some way...

See you in the next "Asshole Section" Frank

people3.jpg

In a micro cosmic kind of way, I think we are seeing (not that this particular case will be a final result) how a true "nickname" comes about.

Grandad, how did the Union get their name?

Well my boy, you know the real name of the team is (****edited for content****), but no one calls them that anymore. Rather we envoke the name of the gallient and dedicated souls who first started supporting the club way back in 2007.

Wow Gradpa, they must have been some really great guys!

Well son, actually most of them were assholes, but thats a different story.

...and the spirit continues.

We shall not be moved,

Not by the crew, the fire, or united,

We shall not be moved.

SING UP THE UNION!

Name is interesting and/but could create a really unique Toronto challenge.

No pro sports team in TO has ever been financially successful without getting the corporate/bay street folks to attend the games and spend their money buying season tix and corporate seats.

How does the sales manager of the new team get received as he marches up Bay Street asking all of the execs to "join the union"?

Guest silvaplate

The Union is pretty good. Its got a good ring to it. I we should all sport the Fedora style hats at the games. That would be pretty sick if you have everyone in a fedora in one section.

TOareaFan, I don't think that said execs would miss the spirit in which it is intended. Remember, the name, and the iconagraphy I've been playing with are only loosly related. The name actualy refers to the union of diverse people and (more importantly) diverse club aleigences. Besides, there all kinds of fun in irony.

TOareaFan, I don't think that said execs would miss the spirit in which it is intended. Remember, the name, and the iconagraphy I've been playing with are only loosly related. The name actualy refers to the union of diverse people and (more importantly) diverse club aleigences. Besides, there all kinds of fun in irony.

I too was making fun...memo to self: enroll in "comedy writing 101....people taking you too seriously"

Guest speedmonk42

"The Union" and fedora hats kicks ass. It seems unique to me.

The yellow logo is cool, but it needs a flaming soccer ball.

If you do a dry run and being drunk I am pretty certain it will not end well, you might as well take the piss while your at it.

This aint football

This aint football

Where is our football team....

Until you get kicked out, and keep going to the wrong sport until the team gets started. I would be proud of something that insane.

Please feel free to add to the song.

if columbus could work in the CREW name into the mainstream, i can honestly believe UNION CITY could work.

i threw the name around to a few people and the response i got was that it sounded original, sort of distinct, slightly euro flav with something that can be related to toronto.

lets see where it goes, but at the same time lets keep an openmind about other nicknames, such as Black Squirrels[:P]

Archived