Scottish League Div 1 St Mirren

argh1

Have a six point lead on Ross County and a seven point lead on St Johnstone.

Does anybody know if St Mirren, Ross County or St Johnstone can meet the SPL field requirements of underground heated pitch and I think (but I'm not sure) of a 6,000 seated stadium. This was a 10,000 seater requirement but the rules were changed last year and I'm pretty sure 6,000 was the limit.

Anyway, does anybody know if any of these teams qualify or will there be no demotion/promotion in SPL this year?

St. Mirren used to be a fairly well supported club in the '80s and if memmory serves right took the dive in the leagues only after going broke. Hard to remember. It's been a while. Not sure if their grounds are up to snuff but I'm sure capacity has to be at least 10,000.

Livi look sure to be taking the drop. Nice stadium & facilities. Crap team.

I'd think barring disaster that there'll be promotion-relegation this year. It's been a very sore point every season the last few campains and the powers that be have been forced to be a bit more liberal with the smaller or up and coming clubs.

Ha. Nice find.

And yeah, I'm quite sure St. Mirren where back up in the SPL when Rangers still ruled the roost so not that long ago. Six or seven years. Maybe longer but not much. If I get bored later I'm sure it's out there in cyberspace to be found.

Amazing isn't it? Where one can spend the entire season playing all matchs, home and away, and still end up sleeping in your own bed every night. Absolutely amazing.

St. Mirren were in the SPL in 2000-01 when the league expanded to 12 teams. They were relegated and replaced by, yup you guessed it, Livingston. Celtic were the champions that year and Henrik Larsson scored 35 goals. Interestingly Livi finished third and qualified for Europe in 2001-02. If I'm not mistaken Davide Xausa was on that Livi team.

SPL in 2000-01

The rule is indeed 6,000 capacity (the Inverness Caley-Thistle rule) and undersoil heating is required. St. Mirren do not meet the latter, but it is unlikely to hinder their move to SPL if they hang on for the first division title. This little tidbit I found about the club's future plans.

On 16 August 2005 the Scottish Executive granted permission for the club to sell their old ground for supermarket development and allow the club to build a new stadium in Greenhill Road, Ferguslie Park, Paisley. The sale of their old ground will finance the new stadium as well as clear the current debts of the club.

Apparently the new park will seat 10K much like Airdrie's stadium and have the undersoil heating.

The Buddies are also still alive in Scottish Cup play and will play Gretna in the Quarter-finals. I'm hoping like heck that they move up. It's fun to talk Scottish soccer.

• 1 month later...

Archived