u20 FIFA championship qualifying

PortoMarco

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

I think England, Spain and Italy are already through to the next "Elite Round" based on their coefficient score in previous competitions.

That is for the 2006/2007 competition. It is the 2005/2006 competition that serves as 2007 WYC qualifying.

Italy, and the Netherlands to name the other surprise, are actually already eliminated (both at the first hurdle, the Qualifying Round, which comes before the Elite Round, which comes before the finals in Poland in July). That's right, Italy and the Netherlands will not be in Canada next year.

I'm preparing a large collection of all the qualifying information from around the world that I can find. It's not easy since this info has not been collected anywhere else (FIFA doesn't even have a page for the tournament, and don't bother with the usually-excellent RSSSF as their info is not only incomplete but some of it is also wrong), so I've had to check many different sites (some not even in English) to get all of it. I'll post it when I'm done.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

That is for the 2006/2007 competition. It is the 2005/2006 competition that serves as 2007 WYC qualifying.

Italy, and the Netherlands to name the other surprise, are actually already eliminated (both at the first hurdle, the Qualifying Round, which comes before the Elite Round, which comes before the finals in Poland in July). That's right, Italy and the Netherlands will not be in Canada next year.

I'm preparing a large collection of all the qualifying information from around the world that I can find. It's not easy since this info has not been collected anywhere else (FIFA doesn't even have a page for the tournament, and don't bother with the usually-excellent RSSSF as their info is not only incomplete but some of it is also wrong), so I've had to check many different sites (some not even in English) to get all of it. I'll post it when I'm done.

Are you sure about that? A couple of week ago, I had decieded to get an early jump and check out the UEFA standings for qualifying for Canada 2007. And, hopefull post here the results. I knew that I would have had to look at the U19 tourny and I knew that the qualifiers usually wrap up sometime in the summer. At that time there was nothing to report. I don't even think the tourny was under way.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/Standings/index.html

OK, I know now where I was mixed up. It looks like the first round is only 3 games whereas I assumed that it was a home and away for each team in the pool ( ie.; six games). So yeah, the first round is over.

And, yes, I have to agree, there are some sides that won't be in Canada who might have really meant a boost to the attendance regardless of the six venues that they you place them in (eg>: Italy & England). You cant say that about a side like Denmark, Belgium or cyprus

I was looking at this a while ago and was completely confused. But I think like other's pointed out, it's the UEFA U19 05/06 tournament that counts. In the 2005 WYC Europe had 7 spots incl. host Netherlands. I'm not sure this time but I'm guessing either 6 or 7.

Qualifying Round - http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/Standings/index.html

Like DJT said, Italy and Netherlands are eliminated. The good thing about the Netherlands being out is JDG2 won't have that option (he is eligible to play right?)

Elite Round - http://www.uefa.com/competitions/Under19/news/Kind=1/newsId=372979.html

It says the Elite round takes place January to May of this year, but it doesn't seem to have started yet. The 7 group winners along with host Poland will play in the final July 18-29. And I guess the top 6 or 7 will qualify for Canada.

It's a pretty brutal draw for potential qualifiers to Canada. Only one of Croatia or Portugal has a chance of coming. Only one of England or Serbia. And only one of Spain or Germany.

While I'm sure Slovakia vs. Slovenia will be a great match, I don't think they have too much drawing power in Canada. Edmonton might be happy they didn't get the final.

Ok let me try again (although I still think I might have Europe right ;)

Africa:

April 7-9, 2006: Preliminary Round Qualifiers, 1st leg

April 21-23, 2006: Preliminary Round Qualifiers, 2nd leg

Aug. 21-23, 2006: First Round Qualifiers, 1st leg

Aug. 25-27, 2006: First Round Qualifiers, 2nd leg

Jan. 27-29, 2007: Finals, Brazzaville, Congo

Some Asia news:

Compete in the qualifiers in late February where Australia have been drawn in Group G alongside Turkmenistan and host-nation Sri Lanka. The winner of the group will compete in the AFC U-20 Championship in India later this year with the top four teams to qualify for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship in Canada.

http://footballasia.com/en/comps/afcu20/

wow I think the big shock is that Italy have no chance.

From the european groups as of now, you'd hope that these countries make it out.

Poland (as hosts of the U19 tournament)

Russia

Ireland

Scotland and to a lesser extent France

Ukraine

Portugal and to a lesser extent Croatia

England

Germany perhaps

purely based on populations within this country

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Are you sure about that?

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm a geek for this stuff and checked it over five times. :)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

And, yes, I have to agree, there are some sides that won't be in Canada who might have really meant a boost to the attendance regardless of the six venues that they you place them in (eg>: Italy & England).

Before people get more confused, England are not eliminated. They were given a bye to the Elite Round in both the 2005/2006 (along with Czech Republic and Spain) and the 2006/2007 (along with Italy and Spain, as mentioned by Bill) tournaments.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I went to the FIFA site to check what the website says for qualification the u20 2007 WYC, and found that it hasn't been updated in 7 months. Its still got Holland 2005 stuff on it.

Yeah, they never do a good job with the U20s. I don't think they ever cover qualifying. They'll probably put up a page next winter that will list the qualified teams so far and the remaining spots, but no standings or matches or anything — at least that's how it was for 2005.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

In the 2005 WYC Europe had 7 spots incl. host Netherlands. I'm not sure this time but I'm guessing either 6 or 7.

How the spots are allocated is something I'm still not sure about because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but we're probably safe to assume that it will be the same as 2005, except for possible (but doubtful, IMO) changes forced by the fact that CONCACAF is now hosting instead of Europe (ie. CONCACAF had 4 spots in 2005, so will it be Canada + 3 or Canada + 4 for 2007? I expect the former).

quote:It says the Elite round takes place January to May of this year, but it doesn't seem to have started yet.
All groups play in May. The schedule is not posted at uefa.com, but you can get it by going to the individual national federation sites (hence my need to visit non-English sites).

quote:Originally posted by Elias

It's a pretty brutal draw for potential qualifiers to Canada. Only one of Croatia or Portugal has a chance of coming. Only one of England or Serbia. And only one of Spain or Germany.

While I'm sure Slovakia vs. Slovenia will be a great match, I don't think they have too much drawing power in Canada. Edmonton might be happy they didn't get the final.

Yes, I am thinking along that line as well. Getting the right qualifiers from Europe can mean a hell of alot in terms of success or failure of the tournament.

Take Switzerland for example. In recent years they have been putting alot of resources in developing their game at both the youth and senior levels and you are staring to see the results. You can be quite certain that if they qualify for Canada 2007, they will be a strong side and present some good quality. But they have no history or aura in the agme. Plus there is no swiss ethnic community in Canada and switzerland is one of those countries that is very culturally diverse.

I believe that getting a good buildup for the tournament and getting good support for Canada is contingent on what the casual observer perceives the level of prestige and drawing power of the event. I thought that alot ticket sales for Canada games would come from awareness of the tournament and you need the rights teams for that. Meaning, those that are more synonomous with success in int'l soccer.

The picture painted above ( ie.: Only one of Croatia or Portugal; Only one of England or Serbia; only one of Spain or Germany) is pretty grim.

PS.: Here my list of ideal qualifiers from a marketing standpoint: USA. Mex, Jam, Can, Esp, Ger,Eng, Ita,Fra, Por, Pol, Bra, Arg, Ecu, Chl, Jpn, Kor, Ira Chn, Aus, Cmr, Mor, Alg, Nig.

PPS>: Had some tough choices to make between Pol, Hol, Fra, Ser & Mon, Cro. But I could only choose two. Went with Fra because there will be a group based in Montreal and Ottawa. As far as the others I wne mostly by my unscientific poll of size of their ethnic communities

If we are talking from a marketing point of view for within this country alone. I would argue that even as most of these are not "new" populations, there is still attraction to these countries. Ireland & Scotland, say in Toronto, Ukraine out in Edmonton holds as much ground or even more than putting France in montreal, croatia, serbia in Toronto, and much much more than european powers such as Netherlands, Spain, Germany.

If we are looking for visitors, then the big european superpowers who are also economic powers would be the ideal.

But Italy is a big blow for marketing purposes. I would say that if Italy would've been lucky enough to be placed in Toronto or Montreal, it would not be a problem to draw a crowd.

But since we are dealing with groups from Europe who've already been drawn, the teams I've posted would be what i think would be the best outcome on what is the reality for this upcoming tournament.

Hosts: Poland

1: Russia

2: Ireland

3: Scotland just as much as France

4: Ukraine

5: Portugal and to a lesser extent Croatia

6: England

7: Germany or Spain

Italy not qualifying is a huge blow to revenue depending where they would be playing. Toronto's population in recent times had as much as 1/3 Italian heritage although with recent immigration that may be a bit less now. Assuming they were placed in Toronto and only played 3 games that is still attendance of 20 000 over three games versus 5 000 for a less popular team. 15 000 times $20 to $30 is a lot of lost revenue. Italy would have also brought a fair number of media and fans with it so tourism wise it is also a big loss. On the other hand the teams are decided on the field not in the boardroom which is how it should be.

Archived