Whitecaps Soldify Strike Force

Richard

Nice to see Jordon re-signed but honestly, do you think the average casual fan going to see Whitecaps is going to be rushing back to get tickets after they sign three Americans? I hope this plan works in winning a Championship, since most people know how fickle Vancouver sports fan can be about not supporting losing teams. If they don't get there soon, they will more closely resemble the same old unsuccessful mix, only with a bunch more Americans in the places where Canadians could be playing. Just IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by maxG

Where is the young Canadian talent? Lilley Out!

Enough of the American journey-men![V]

The young canadian talent is in europe trying to make a real living, not taking a part-time job with the Whitecaps.

Lilley may use these two new Americans and gets rid of three other Americans, namely Fuller, Trout and Gjertsen.

Joe Gjertson actually did score a goal against the Sounders, and it was called back by a diabolical assistant ref.

I don't remember Seattle's big guns scoring much against Vancouver last season either.

The Whitecaps also rumoured to sign Jay Alberts from Minnesota, who could provide much needed width and quality crosses to the Whitecap strikeforce.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I don't remember Seattle's big guns scoring much against Vancouver last season either.

The Whitecaps never faced Maykel Galindo on the same team/time with Leighton O'Brien. (In other words, the Seattle offense that scored 8 playoff goals on the march to the 2005 title, including 4 against Greg Sutton.)

I was completely unimpressed with Antoniuk (he did score a US Open Cup goal v. Sounders in 2005, not no league tallies) but perhaps he's needed up front to give a "physical presense" to the soft-but-talented Mr. Jordan.

There is plenty of talent around Vancouver, not all the talent is over in Europe. You don't think there is any kids from 17-23 playing college, university or vmsl that could make an impact? I guess most of these players wouldn't want to give up a scholarship to play. Does anybody know about former u-20 striker Dylan Hughes, I know he is back in Vancouver and if he is healthy and wanting to play I think that would be a great addition to the team.

There is plenty of talent around Vancouver, not all the talent is over in Europe. You don't think there is any kids from 17-23 playing college, university or vmsl that could make an impact? I guess most of these players wouldn't want to give up a scholarship to play. Does anybody know about former u-20 striker Dylan Hughes, I know he is back in Vancouver and if he is healthy and wanting to play I think that would be a great addition to the team.

Pleased to see somebody else share a view I have expressed many times before. Many potential players simply can't afford the time commitment to play for the 'Caps since they have elected to go with other fulltime, more secure and better paying career options.

Does anybody know about former u-20 striker Dylan Hughes, I know he is back in Vancouver and if he is healthy and wanting to play I think that would be a great addition to the team.

Do you mean Tyler Hughes who played for Toronto before heading overseas? His brother Jordan (Coastal Carolina) is another prospect for striker and was tops in his division several times.

Guest Jeffery S.

What is the point of signing such striking power when Lilley played a 4-5-1 at home in the playoffs?

What you should do if you want to score more or have more punch is change the playing style, since the Caps had mids who could go forwards and score. Only that too often they hung back and watched how Jordan would hold the ball, waiting for them, in case they decided to show up and help him.

Since Lilley played ultra-defensively in Montreal and has not really changed that much in Vancouver, though the team is strong, serious, and does try to play touch football at times, you have to wonder how many of these signings are going to be upset at sitting on the bench, since Lilley will not know how to use them.

I would have preferred him signing younger players in all lines (defense for Watson, mids for Dasovic and Nash), and bring in Corrazza to cover for Jordan and develop.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Do you mean Tyler Hughes who played for Toronto before heading overseas? His brother Jordan (Coastal Carolina) is another prospect for striker and was tops in his division several times.

MaxG probably means Dylan. Seems Dylan could have played for our U20s in the last Youth WC, but elected to "keep his options open" as he was being courted by Wales. He played in a couple friendlies for Wales, as he had done for Canada.

Last I heard, he had a tryout for Wrexham. I do not recall anything since.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sj

4-5-1 seems to be the formation of choice for our various national teams coaches too.

it is a tactics of desperation and lack of faith in your forwards.

4-5-1 = coward

To be fair to Yallop he is trying to use a 4-3-3, which is far from cowardly, it is in fact quite brave. We played with three strikers against Spain away for example, and that has to be considered bold.

Lilley will have to play at least 4-4-2 with the two up front and pushing to at least give his new signings playing time.

Archived