CKRadio Podcast - Yallop and Hutchinson

Bill Ault

As much as I liked the interviews and appreciate you posting them, I would really like it if a few more topical questions were asked. In my opinion there were too many general questions that allowed him to give his usual sales pitch and there is no doubt that he is a very good speaker and comes across well. However, there are many issues that people on the board here wonder about such as the Fernandes question and which noone in the media seems to be asking. I don't mean that these should be asked in a harsh or confrontational manner but would like them to be asked in a professional open manner. I would genuinely be interested in what he has to say about such topics. At least then in our debates about how the program is run we would know his opinion and approach to such matters instead of being forced to speculate. It would be nice the next time he is interviewed if you could ask the board beforehand about some possible questions.

Great stuff. Keep up the great work. That's better pre-game coverage of tomorrow's match than anyone else has provided. If you get him on your show again, please ask about Fernandes if you can.

One minor quibble - is there anything I can possibly say to get you guys not to call us "Team Canada"? Please? :)

I think Grizzly is being a bit hard on Bill...every little scrap we get is appreciated. Having said that, one or two even borderline tough questions would make any of these interviews more interesting. We know guys like Yallop and Stalteri and DeRo are pretty calm and collected guys that would prefer not to have any curveballs thrown at them. That's a no brainer. To continue to lob underhand pitches at them ad naseum will mean that yes, the average Joe hears the party line, the Frank Yallop PR spot if you will, but the real fans like us will always be left hungry.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

As much as I liked the interviews and appreciate you posting them, I would really like it if a few more topical questions were asked. In my opinion there were too many general questions that allowed him to give his usual sales pitch and there is no doubt that he is a very good speaker and comes across well.

Grizzly, while I agree that there is some in depth, deep, dark questions that could be asked - we're just not in a position to do that yet. It is the second time Frank has joined us and frankly I was surprised at how frank he was with some answers both times - I give him credit both times he has said some things that may not have been said in the past about the program, players or how he sees things moving forward.

Grizz, we've just finished our eighth show and we're not quite in 60 minutes mode yet :) besides have you noticed how few guests come back to 60 minutes :D

Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment that is what ultimately matters.

Bill

I think some people are interpreting my comments as more harsh than they are. I did like the interviews particularly the one with Hutchinson who I have never heard interviewed before. I understand that if you ask him difficult questions he might not come back. On the other hand I don't think he would or should take a question like the following negatively: "We have heard that the young Canadian goalkeeper, Daniel Fernandes, has been called to a Portugese B camp and that Greece is also interested in him. Are you in contact with Fernandes? Does he figure in your future plans?"

I don't see how Yallop could object to that type of question. And yes Daniel I know it is his podcast and he can ask him whatever he wants. I seem to remember you doing an interview and despite many requests on the board not asking him the same question but I know it was your interview and you didn't have to. I just find it hard to understand why everyone in the media treats Yallop with such kid gloves especially when there are so many things that we would like to find out about. Is he that intimidating? He actually seems to be quite a nice chap.

Archived