What's Canada's lastest rank?

Desigol

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Lack of more WCQ (and ANY GCQ) will usually keep us low. In 2004-2005, we've only played 11 competitive games, which is where the bulk of FIFA points come from.

I've looked high and low and I'm still looking for these signs of improvement that you and others maintain Frank Yallop has brought about.

We are perilously close to dropping out of the top 10 in CONCACAF with MIGHTY HAITI giving us a run.

Can anybody suggest any other measure by which we would be ranked 10th in this listf? Sporting or other measures accepted.

Mexico

USA

Costa Rica

Honduras

Jamaica

T&T

Guatemala

Cuba

Panama

CANADA (yeah!)

Haiti

--- other world powers ----

watch a tape of our games from 3 - 6 years ago and then watch one of our recent games now that Frank has gotten almost a year on the job,, it's like night and day to me. We actually have players attacking and being creative offensively,, yes I know it's hard to believe but I've seen it with my own eyes.. And shockingly,, an entertaining style of soccer like that may even get us some new national team fans if they find it worth watching.. Canada is not Brazil or Mexico,, we are not the type of country where a new coach is brought in,, flips a switch,, and everything is good again.. I like the progress I see after one year on the job,, as well as the increased depth with younger players on the squad,, I think we will start making a steady progression up from the 86 ranking beginning with this Luxembourg game,, just my opinion,, but I guess we'll see...

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

watch a tape of our games from 3 - 6 years ago and then watch one of our recent games now that Frank has gotten almost a year on the job,, it's like night and day to me. We actually have players attacking and being creative offensively,, yes I know it's hard to believe but I've seen it with my own eyes.. And shockingly,, an entertaining style of soccer like that may even get us some new national team fans if they find it worth watching.. Canada is not Brazil or Mexico,, we are not the type of country where a new coach is brought in,, flips a switch,, and everything is good again.. I like the progress I see after one year on the job,, as well as the increased depth with younger players on the squad,, I think we will start making a steady progression up from the 86 ranking beginning with this Luxembourg game,, just my opinion,, but I guess we'll see...

I would suggest you get your VCR out and watch Canada vs S. Korea (2002), Switzerland vs Canada (2002), Lybia vs Canada (2003) or even Germany vs Canada (2003). I don't see us playing badly in those games. Just my opinion, of course.

Yallop's been on the job almost 2 years pal. I don't expect miracles either but I'm fed up reading about how wonderful things are with our national team under the Frank and Andy old boys' show.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

I would suggest you get your VCR out and watch Canada vs S. Korea (2002), Switzerland vs Canada (2002), Lybia vs Canada (2003) or even Germany vs Canada (2003). I don't see us playing badly in those games. Just my opinion, of course.

Yallop's been on the job almost 2 years pal. I don't expect miracles either but I'm fed up reading about how wonderful things are with our national team under the Frank and Andy old boys' show.

I agree that we had some good games in the final Holger years, the first half against Scotland and Germany, the whole game I think most here never got to see vs. the Swiss. We now realize that Libya was a better side than we thought, to beat them there was pretty good.

Yallop has not really improved the late Holger years results in any way at all. We are sort of in the same spot, trying to find our feet still.

BTW, that game against the Swiss was with Fenwick and Hastings on the back line, Fletcher and Nash in m/f; Brennan, McKenna and others were missing. Julian de Guzman was just cracking the senior lineup (80th minute sub). Most of that Swiss lineup was young then but have been integral in their rather good form in WC qualifying where they beat out Ireland and Israel for the playoff position in their group.

Did I mention that Lars Hirschfeld and Tam Nsaliwa played 90 minutes?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ed

BTW, that game against the Swiss was with Fenwick and Hastings on the back line, Fletcher and Nash in m/f; Brennan, McKenna and others were missing. Julian de Guzman was just cracking the senior lineup (80th minute sub). Most of that Swiss lineup was young then but have been integral in their rather good form in WC qualifying where they beat out Ireland and Israel for the playoff position in their group.

Did I mention that Lars Hirschfeld and Tam Nsaliwa played 90 minutes?

As I say, I did not see that game, but I got the impression for reports that it was one of Radz's best games for us. We hit them on the counter, they did not know how to react, we kept hitting. Nice way to win a match, and in Sankt Gallen, where Imhof was playing at the time.

Those names you mentioned makes it clear that we have to combine having the best players out, but also getting good performances from whoever is there. The Gold Cup win proved that, most would agree that our pool is stronger now (Forrest apart), but we are further away from beating a Mexico or Colombia now than then. This is the quandary, then. If the coach really thinks he has a better block, a winning side with cohesion, without calling in the players on paper better, then fine. But if the results do not come out as you want then the coach is really to blame for putting the team and his vision of the group as a working unit over the individuals that could comprise it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

As I say, I did not see that game, but I got the impression for reports that it was one of Radz's best games for us. We hit them on the counter, they did not know how to react, we kept hitting. Nice way to win a match, and in Sankt Gallen, where Imhof was playing at the time.

Those names you mentioned makes it clear that we have to combine having the best players out, but also getting good performances from whoever is there. The Gold Cup win proved that, most would agree that our pool is stronger now (Forrest apart), but we are further away from beating a Mexico or Colombia now than then. This is the quandary, then. If the coach really thinks he has a better block, a winning side with cohesion, without calling in the players on paper better, then fine. But if the results do not come out as you want then the coach is really to blame for putting the team and his vision of the group as a working unit over the individuals that could comprise it.

10th in Concacaf sounds about right to me, until we prove otherwise.

10th in Conacaf? I know were terribly ranked but considering we beat Cuba last time we played who are two ranks ahead shows that the ranking procedure doesn't give the real details. We lost 2-1 to spain last month, we could probably beat all the other teams that aren;t in the CONACAF top 4 regularly. I'm not saying yallop is a great coach or a bad coach but if you've watched canada play, it's pretty clear that these rankings don't mean squat. Anybody who says that Jamaica, Panama, Guatemala or cuba are actually a better team then canada is talking horse manure.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think folks should look at our real results in Concacaf over the past 5 years and we'd realize that we have done nothing to justify being ahead of the teams above us in Fifa rankings.

Now if we can put three wins together vs Luxembourg, Costa Rica and draw Sweden or someone like that (proposed future friendlies, WC teams from our region and from Europe) then we can start talking.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

We have a record for 2-1-1 against Cuba over those 5 years. Thus, we should be ahead of them. :P

Look at results vs common opponents, besides when you're this far down, what's a ranking or two? Would you really be celebrating if we were ranked higher than Cuba?

The young talent is coming along. The loss to Spain 2-1 was indeed a step in the right direction). The Gold Cup performance though was a bit disappointing. Over all I think Frank's the man for the job. Someone who loves Canada soccer has to direct us in what will be very important next couple of years. Watch the U-23's and U-17's. Tahts where our biggest strides need to come.

Archived