Ledly King plays Centre Mid

SeanKeay

Hey anyone notice that tommorow, Svenny is playing a Centre back out of his normal spot, and putting him into centre mid. As a holding midfielder, which is if im not mistaken the same spot that a certain bitch boy is supposed to play. So its nice to see how the coach doesnt rate him at his natural possision and would rather pick a centre back :P

Discuss

Hargreaves has been out for a couple of weeks, just starting back in training. Given England's form lately, I would think Sven could have used one of the best performing midfielders in the Bundesliga. It's not like England's been so strong without him.

Hargreaves has been out for a couple of weeks, just starting back in training. Given England's form lately, I would think Sven could have used one of the best performing midfielders in the Bundesliga. It's not like England's been so strong without him.

Man, this guy never seems to age...looks just like he did when I saw him in person at the Australia match at Commonwealth in '93.

kim_nielsen_jpg_802291c.jpg

----------------------------------

Nielsen: I will treat every player equally

Stuart James

Tuesday October 11, 2005

The Guardian

If Wayne Rooney wants to get back on the right side of Kim Milton Nielsen tomorrow night he would be advised to avoid the subject of ballroom dancing. The 45-year-old referee has never disappointed when it comes to brandishing yellow and red cards, as Rooney found out to his cost in Villarreal last month when he was dismissed for sarcastically applauding a decision, though the shoe was on the other foot recently when Nielsen received his marching orders from Denmark's version of Strictly Come Dancing.

"I was the first one to be voted off and it didn't come as a surprise," said Nielsen, who will take charge of England's World Cup qualifier against Poland at Old Trafford tomorrow. "I was up against actors and singers who have nothing else to do [but dance], but I have a full-time job as an IT manager and my football career."

Refereeing comes far more naturally to Nielsen, who will bring the curtain down on an illustrious career when he retires in December. The Poland match could be his valedictory appearance on English soil, though there is unlikely to be a warm reception for a referee who notoriously showed David Beckham a red card in France seven years ago.

Beckham's suspension means that Nielsen will be denied the opportunity to renew acquaintances with the England captain, though Rooney's presense should provide more than enough intrigue. "People ask what will happen next time you will meet him or him on the pitch," said Nielsen. "It was the same in '98 with Beckham. But it's important to erase your memory before every game. For me, Rooney is a player like the other 10 on Wednesday. If he is acting properly, I will have no problem."

Nielsen does, though, believe far too much is expected of the 19-year-old. "It's always a problem to put too much pressure on a young player," he said. "When they are doing well people expect them to solve every problem and that's a mistake."

The affable Dane would like to have been a professional footballer himself, but he turned to refereeing at 15 after spotting a notice in his local club. Within 13 years his name was on the Fifa list.

Nielsen points to the 2004 Champions League final and the 2002 World Cup semi-final between Brazil and Turkey as highlights of his refereeing career, though another match in the Balkans resonates for different reasons. "I was in Belgrade when Serbia and Montenegro played Croatia in August 1999," recalled Nielsen.

"At under-20 level the players had been world champions together [for Yugoslavia] and now they were playing against each other. Before the match, even though the countries had been at war, the players were kissing each other."

Do not expect to see Rooney and Nielsen doing the same.

This is a bit of a strange ad campaign for an AIDS group. As the caption beside the poster explains the central theme of the campaign is against discrimination of minorities but an attempt is being made to link discrimination against AIDS sufferers as something similar. Not a bad poster in general but not particularly effective in regards to AIDS issues.

Archived