Sporting Bengal United go down in FA Cup, 2005-6

beachesl

[V]

If any of you caught the interesting item on The BBC World News (the one filling in for CBC's The National during the strike/lockout) the other day about the first "Asian" side in the FA Cup competition, unfortunately they bit the dust at their first attempt today, one of 86 matches played in the extra preliminary round.

37 Ware 2-0 Sporting Bengal United

Some great names for the lower clubs in this competition!

Check them out:

FACup,ExP

The Preliminary Round next weekend has 182 fixtures.

Whoops, actually Oadby would be Step 5, not step 6. Here it is in detail:

EPL (Level 1)

Championship (Level 2)

League One (Level 3)

League Two (Level 4)

Conference (Level 5; Step 1)

Conference North/South (Level 6; Step 2)

Ryman/Unibond/Southern Prem (Level 7; Step 3)

Ryman/Unibond/Southern Div 1 (Level 8; Step 4)

County Prem (Level 9; Step 5)

County Div 1 (Level 10; Step 6)

County Div 2 (Level 11; Step 7)

Steps and levels are the same thing, really... but "steps" is only for the non-league (amateur) leagues, thus starts at Conference. Though these days, most Conference clubs are professional....

Sevenoaks Town's Craig Clark has made FA Cup history.

The experienced goalkeeper, who joined Sevenoaks Town in the close season from league rivals Erith Town, scored two goals, both from the penalty spot in the club's FIRST EVER FA Cup tie.

The Kent League outfit, managed by Gary Davies, beat Ryman League second division side Chertsey Town 4-2 in an extra preliminary round tie at Greatness Park yesterday (Saturday 20th August 2005) with Ross Cable and Kris Hollidge getting the other two goals.

Sevenoaks play Herne Bay in the next round.

The Kent League is in the 9th tier of the English Football Pyramid.

Stu, you'll find quite a few of the 128 clubs at this stage will be playing an FA Cup match for the first time.

There's at least two clubs that I know of playing their first FA Cup game in Hanwell Town's league (Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division).

I think you have to be at least Step 6 to enter, plus there are ground grading requirements that get more and more difficult the higher "step" you are....

But yes, a huge day for all the little clubs playing their first FA Cup match! Hanwell's opponent this past Saturday (Tring Athletic) were founded in 1958, and will play their first match in the esteemed competition this coming weekend.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I looked at Hinckley United, but the town is about 30 minutes outside of Leicester. Too far for this poor (or soon to be) student.

Any connection to Hinckley Utd (I'm just curious)?

No. I was born in Leicestershire but moved to Canada at 3. Haven't got a clue as to what is where as I've only been back there twice. I started following Hinckley Town last season checking the results every one in a while. This season I've started to follow them on a regular basis. I can't seem to care about bigger English teams, too boring to me. Hinckey United seems about right-500 fans per game so not too small.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

No. I was born in Leicestershire but moved to Canada at 3. Haven't got a clue as to what is where as I've only been back there twice. I started following Hinckley Town last season checking the results every one in a while. This season I've started to follow them on a regular basis. I can't seem to care about bigger English teams, too boring to me. Hinckey United seems about right-500 fans per game so not too small.

More than what Coleraine got on Saturday!

quote:Last year the built new stands (as you must be aware), and the club seems to be headed in the right direction. Too bad they had to tear down the old stands because I heard they had a lot of character.

From what I saw of pictures of the old stands, I suppose you could call it "character" in the way that an decrepit old barn may have character. The new stand is nice, I actually use a photo of it for my wallpaper.

h004.jpg

quote:Last year the built new stands (as you must be aware), and the club seems to be headed in the right direction. Too bad they had to tear down the old stands because I heard they had a lot of character.

From what I saw of pictures of the old stands, I suppose you could call it "character" in the way that an decrepit old barn may have character. The new stand is nice, I actually use a photo of it for my wallpaper.

h004.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I just remember some Hinckley fans having good memories of their old stadium.

I think one could make a great USL stadium using the same blueprint as the new stand in Hinckley. You could fit 2 of them up each sideline and one each behind the goals for a total of nearly 4,000 seats. Ideal for USL.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Surprised you heard of Garforth... was that due to the Brazilian legends he brings in for a game or two?

Well that (Socrates and Careca huffing and puffing), but mainly because I have a friend that is actually thinking about getting the Brazilian Soccer School franchise for Edmonton.

• 2 weeks later...

FA Cup tie finally settled after 40-penalty shootout

LONDON, Sept 2 (Reuters) - An English FA Cup preliminary round replay between Tunbridge Wells and Littlehampton Town was decided after a 40-penalty shootout on Thursday, the third highest ever recorded in a senior match.

Tunbridge Wells advanced 16-15 after the teams drew 2-2 after extra time. The original match ended in a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

The world record for the highest number of penalties taken in a shootout was established in January this year when 48 were required to settle a Namibian Cup first-round tie. KK Palace eventually beat Civics 17-16 after the match had finished 2-2 after extra time.

Forty-four penalties were needed in a shootout in 1988 when Argentinos Juniors beat Racing Club 20-19 after drawing 2-2 in a league match.

The Argentine domestic league had introduced penalty shootouts to determine standings when matches finished all-square.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Crazy about Tunbridge and Littlehampton. Both aren't too far from where I work (Crawley).

Actually, to be a pedantic wanker and spoil the original topic of this thread, Sporting Bengal United were not the first "Asian" side to compete in the FA Cup. The first team was in fact London APSA of the Essex League.

London APSA were the first team to enter the FA Cup under Asian Management. Sporting Bengal on the other hand, actually had nine Asian players on the field.

Archived