MLS Canada TV rights

Sempuukyaku

This was mentioned briefly at bigsoccer, but I went to Roger's site and noticed that you guys up there do not get ESPN, but ESPN classic instead. That might be a slight problem since ESPN2 broadcasts MLS games as well as all of the Fox regional networks (which you guys DO have so that won't be an issue).

Let's say D.C. United plays FC Toronto or the Whitecaps. How would TV coverage work? Would Rogers pick up the game and ESPN piggyback off the signal? Or would there be both ESPN AND Rogers TV crews for that game? ESPN usually sends their own staff to games (even Champions League), so I don't think they'll accept having to piggyback off of Roger's feed.

I don't think this will at all affect Toronto's and Vancouver's bids for MLS teams, but I think it's something that should be brought up so that we can get an idea of how the logistics would work. I get MLS Direct Kick and when we bring the Canadian teams into the league I want to make sure that I can get TV coverage for those games as well.

ESPN is a part owner of TSN (33%, which is the maximum they can own due to CRTC regulations), so you're almost never going to see a Rogers/ESPN partnership.

I could see MLS being shown on The Score (Canada's third sports cable network) or even Rogers Sportsnet, but TSN seems to ignore all soccer save the Champions League broadcasts that they 'buy' from ESPN.

I'm going to get somewhat off topic here

ESPN sends their own crew to the champions league?

I'm pretty sure everyone use the same video feed of the game, and just put in their own announces, and pre/post-game.

I have a torrent of the sky broadcast of the first leg of Liverpool-Chelsea and the video while the game is on is the exact same as the video I taped off TSN (ESPN feed). Everything is the same, even the replays, and graphics on the screen. I watched the CL Final in a bar in Switzerland and while it was in german, all the graphics and overall production of the game didn't seem any different from the games shown here. This makes me believe that its a packaged feed from Uefa.

---//------

Back on topic:

I think when Canadian team join they will appear on the regional Rogers sportsnet channels. So the Toronto Black Squirrels will be on Sportsnet Ontario, and the Vancouver Whitecaps will be on Sportsnet Pacific. If people want to follow the other teams they will have to do as they do now and get Fox Sports Canada.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

I'm going to get somewhat off topic here

ESPN sends their own crew to the champions league?

I'm pretty sure everyone use the same video feed of the game, and just put in their own announces, and pre/post-game.

I have a torrent of the sky broadcast of the first leg of Liverpool-Chelsea and the video while the game is on is the exact same as the video I taped off TSN (ESPN feed). Everything is the same, even the replays, and graphics on the screen. I watched the CL Final in a bar in Switzerland and while it was in german, all the graphics and overall production of the game didn't seem any different from the games shown here. This makes me believe that its a packaged feed from Uefa.

The video feed itself may be a packaged feed from UEFA, but ESPN still sends their own production crew to champions league games. For the Champions League final in Istanbul, ESPN sportcenter actually had Tommy Smyth and the other guy (lol) live from Istanbul discussing how the game went and gave their analysis. That's not surprising, as ESPN almost ALWAYS sends out their own crew to any sporting event that they do. The video feed may not be theirs, and you could be right about that, but they still send their own commentating and production crew.

quote:Back on topic:

I think when Canadian team join they will appear on the regional Rogers sportsnet channels. So the Toronto Black Squirrels will be on Sportsnet Ontario, and the Vancouver Whitecaps will be on Sportsnet Pacific. If people want to follow the other teams they will have to do as they do now and get Fox Sports Canada.

The only problem with this is:

#1) Fox Sports Canada for the most part is vastly unavailable here in the states. I'm pretty sure that Comcast doesn't carry it and don't think that DirecTV or Dish network carry it either.

#2) I'm definitely sure that we don't get Sportsnet at all down here, so again how are we gonna get to see U.S. MLS teams up in Canada?

-How does the NBA, NHL, and MLB handle Canada TV coverage? Maybe that'll give us a better insight into how MLS needs to go about doing this.

We do not get the Fox regional sports networks up here.

I'm not sure what you are worried about but it's pretty simple. For a game to be on ESPN2, it would be a national broadcast so ESPN would send up a crew and produce their own broadcast. Chances are, a Canadian channel would probably pick up the ESPN broadcast even for Canadian team home games.

As for DC United playing in FC Inter AC Toronto City United FC (FCIAC Tor CUFC for short), if the game is broadcast by a Toronto/Canadian channel, I'm sure it will be available on Direct Kicks. If an American channel shows DC United away games, then they will broadcast it as well. So the DC United broadcast would be available in their home area (like Fox Sports Regional DC or whatever) and in the Direct Kicks package. Although looking at the MLS web site, it does not seem that every game is available through the Direct Kicks package.

quote:Originally posted by Sempuukyaku

so again how are we gonna get to see U.S. MLS teams up in Canada?

Don't worry. By the time MLS teams are up in Canada, I'm sure we will figure out the technology. By then, you could probably beam yourself all across the world and watch the games live in person!

TV rights are divided out nationally. The USA has ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports World, Fox Regional Channels, etc. Canada has TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, Fox Sports Canada, and The Score.

The NBA, for example, is on ABC and ESPN in the States. In Canada, games are on CTV, TSN, and Rogers Sportsnet.

Currently, we get MLS games on Fox Sports Canada -- I believe these are mostly games directly taken from Fox Regional channels in the USA. If a Canadian team was in MLS, likely a Canadian sports channel would start producing games involving that team like CTV, TSN and Rogers does for the Raptors. Those channels also pick up non-Raptors games as well from ABC or ESPN feeds. We would likely get non-Canadian MLS games in the same manner.

Jason

Guest HamiltonSteelers
quote:Originally posted by Elias

As for DC United playing in FC Inter AC Toronto City United FC (FCIAC Tor CUFC for short)

I would LOVE to see a crest for that club. Brilliant name.

And to think, the New York Cosmos chose that simple name because of how easy it translated in other languages... what were they thinking.

Archived