GO Go Big Red

leekoo

FOR YOUR INFORMATION

|| FORUMS OFFLINE ||

Friday, June 17th, 2005

The Go Big Red!! Message Forums are currently offline for an undetermined period. This was something that I have been toying about doing for the last few weeks or so, and I have actually pushed back doing this until after Canada's most recent Tour of Europe, the Houston Cup and so forth. But, I've decided the time is now to do this.

Why are the forums offline? Simply because I need a break and hopefully this will allow everyone the opportunity to do the same. The last few months have been chaotic, stressful, frustrating and simply not fun from my end and I just cannot continue this way.

It comes from an accumulation of things happening at these forums directly and other factors not related to the forums as well. It includes the things being said about me, this site and the way I run things and it has reached a point where I’ve decided enough is enough and that I am more than ready to take a hiatus.

This site is VERY Pro-Team Canada and pro-players and therefore I guess that makes me a biased individual who runs this website as nothing more than for it to be one sided rah, rah, rah. I do not hide or shy away from this notion and I guess that makes me an unlikable person to some people and puts a nice big target on my back.

I am a firm believer that the Internet provides opportunities for everyone to find similar people with same views in a plethora of different fandoms, interests and so forth. This site specifically caters and is predominantly Pro-Team Canada and if by choosing this path makes me and this site biased and one sided, then, so be it as there really isn't anything I can do about that now.

I also want to make clear that while this site--specifically these message forums--is Pro-Canada, it welcomes anyone who has an opinion on the team as long as it is expressed in an appropriate manner. Perhaps this statement creates a large gray area for posters, but there are also numerous posters who are critical of the team and players who actively post and do not run into this same issue.

Maybe I just care too much about what is going on and should just screw this attitude and let things be a free-for-all--I'm sure then everyone would be happy. Ultimately, however, I cannot allow that as I have certain standards (that you might disagree with) that must be upheld and respected.

Since I've started this website, I have received my fair share of "hate mail". These messages come from people who are not supportive of Team Canada, women’s soccer or this site and arrive in a continuous steady stream over the years. Sometimes I will get only one of these messages in a week, sometimes I get a few a day. These messages in the past have not fazed me as I understand that this site and what I do is not everyone's cup of tea.

I have, however, recently been besieged and swarmed with countless of hateful, hurtful emails that have only intensified in the span of the last two months. In these messages I have been called unimaginable names, accused of doing things I have not done and been called out on what these people believe is the "real reason" I run this website.

Yup, I run this site solely for the purpose of propping up my ego and giving myself a big head because that's exactly what this site is about. It's about me going "look at me!" and "I'm cool because players visit and contribute to the site!" and doing a little dance in front of those people who obviously are not in the same position as I am. I also, as I've been told, run this website with the sole purpose of "sucking up" to players and trying to "make them [my] friends" and in reality the players find me a nuisance, bothersome and annoying. Maybe this is true, I highly doubt it is. Either way, what the players’ think of me and this site--while it is nice to hear they are supportive of everything--does not underline nor provide the driving reason in why I run Go Big Red!! and do what I do.

This site started at humble beginnings when it was just a small site dedicated to Team Canada and has just grown ten-fold in the last three years at a rate that I too cannot comprehend at times. This process would have happened whether any Team Canada player actively participated and/or contributed to the site but I can say that I am deeply honored and appreciative to any player that has been involved.

Yes, I've dedicated countless of hours of my own time, funds and efforts for the above stated purposes. It's not about running this site so there's a place of dedication and appreciation for Team Canada and the players; or is this site about giving the fans a one-of-a-kind experience where in one visit you can find out more about players, view extensive photo galleries, historical data as well as some pretty cool player features.

This site also isn't about extending a very big part of me and who I am through making a site that reflects my appreciation, dedication and just simply reverence for the players and Team Canada. Just thinking about the amount of time and effort I put into the site truly boggles my mind in retrospect, but, obviously I spend all of this time for selfish reasons as I've been accused of. Yes-sir-ee.

I guess the naysayer have it right eh? But I can tell you this:

I am sick and tired of being in the line of fire from these people and others who say one thing to my face and then turn around and say something totally different to other people. I am sick and tired of feeling like I have to justify what I am doing to myself every time a situation arises and I am sick of being everyone's doormat-- who feel they can trample all over me and take as much as they want from my efforts here and use them to serve their own purposes without a second thought.

I cannot, and will not put up with this anymore and, therefore, I am taking a break and stepping away to regroup and give myself some time off to find a place that I can be happy again with everything that is swirling around me.

To my long-time visitors and supporters of this site and what it stands for, I thank you for sticking by with me and this site the last few years. I have truly been touched and honored by all the kind words you have all sent to me and I feel as though your voices and thoughts have been reflected on the many changes and additions to this site since the very beginning. I also hope you understand why I am taking this course of action, and do know that the forums will be back up and running as soon as it is possible. I am not trying to "ruin" this for everyone just because of a select group of individuals.

To end, I want to clarify that the main site will continue to be updated when needed during this "down time" at the forums, as I will concentrate my efforts on the main site while I give all the energy I spend here at the forums a rest.

If you wish to contact me, please do so through email (elaine@gobigred.ca).

Thanks,

Elaine

PS- The forums will be reopened on June 26th for the Canada vs. USA game, but it will be under limitations/restrictions until the entire boards are up and active again.

Sorry to hear this Elaine, but perhaps the away time will recharge your batteries. Remember, it is always easier to tear down than to build: and some people simply can't do anything but tear down. You just can't let the bastards get to you. Hopefully a few months off will allow this to become a labour of love for you again. Have a good Summer Elaine.

Elaine, enjoy your break. I'm sorry the negative people have gotten you down. Although I have not had much time lately to visit your site much, you know that I and numerous other Voyageurs admire both the site and the job you have been doing there[8D]. You just have to ignore the cranks[}:)], that's their problem not yours.

Have a great summer, and be assured of my support:)!

Cheers, beachesl:D

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So what, Chris yanks everybody's chain every chance he gets.

So maybe there is more to the story than just Elaine's point of view. This site, Voyageurs, doesn't appear to be getting all the nasty Emails that Elaine is getting - maybe because this site is run differently.

I think thats the point though, she spends the time to run a website and a forum the way she wants it, and if she doesn't like an opinion, i personally think she has the right to remove it. Free speech is great when you get to exercise it, but when you've got time and money expended in one mode of thinking, then differing ideals aren't as appealing, especially on a website. Its not like she is running a government website or something, its a personal website that happens to deal with a growing industry. If you dont like it, dont post. Its very, very simple.

Sorry to hear of the hard time you've been getting. I have lurked on your board for a while. Some just take things too personally.....what can I say.

I also see nuthin' wrong with being a cheer leader instead of constant critisism.

Take your break and come back stronger for the rest.

I for one admire those like yourself and unlike myself who actually do something to promote Canadian soccer of both genders.

We need folk like you to actually do something. Thanks for your hard work.

Guest Jeffery S.

Elaine, I am one of those that is amazed by your site and only see it in a positive light. So like many here I am shocked about you getting negative mail. Is there a profile for the type of person slagging you? Frankly, it is just bewildering, considering what we all know about the efforts you have put into things and the sheer quality of a lot of the material (and it truly fun spirit as well).

Stay a fan, maybe this is one of the things that happens when you are exposed as you are online. Hope you can get back to things, but just take it slow and treat negativity like spam -trash it.

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

I think thats the point though, she spends the time to run a website and a forum the way she wants it, and if she doesn't like an opinion, i personally think she has the right to remove it. Free speech is great when you get to exercise it, but when you've got time and money expended in one mode of thinking, then differing ideals aren't as appealing, especially on a website. Its not like she is running a government website or something, its a personal website that happens to deal with a growing industry. If you dont like it, dont post. Its very, very simple.

Exactly, it is her site 100% and she is entitled to run it precisely as she pleases. This evidently angered some people, rather predictably I would think. Voyageurs allows a much broader scope of opinion and expression with far fewer restrictions and controls so people get angry with each other, not the forum hosts ;)

quote:Originally posted by Richard

She is entitled to run it precisely as she pleases. This evidently angered some people, rather predictably I would think. Voyageurs allows a much broader scope of opinion and expression with far fewer restrictions and controls so people get angry with each other, not the forum hosts ;)

Elaine, are you going to quit because few jerks have hurt you???? Com'on Elaine. Don't be like that. Do you actually think I give a $hit what Jarrek, JayJay, Daniel, Richard, David Bailey, Moosehead, BC-Boy, Mr.Impact and company think about me. Look at SoccerBeast. This is a guy who got the worst insults here on Voyageur, and he still comes on this board.

By the way, what ever happened to crazy John Kelly??? I really miss this guy. John Kelly, if you are out there please come back. I really miss those crazy postings from the old forum.

OK, so I'm right now in Los Angeles for the week and just have a few minutes online. I skimmed quickly through the comments above (thanks for the support), and I just want to say tbat I'm not "giving up" with GBR or anything like that -- the message forums are currently offline because I need a break but the main site will continue with updates when needed and the forums will be back in the near future.

I love your website and its forums, Elaine. I have always been amazed that so much can be done by one person. I can only imagine how much time and dedication you must be putting into it. But hasn't GBR grown enough that you could use a little help? You are on the cusp of a very successful life and career and I wonder how much time you will have for the website in a couple more years.

Don't worry about the hate mail. For every critic you have a dozen admirers.

Hey Elaine count me in the silent majority who is blown away by the site and what you've done for giving Canadian women's soccer a fitting home on the internet. I hope you don't ever feel like you have to apologize for what you do or how you do it or even how much you do. Do as much or as little as you want to and you can manage to do timewise. I think a break is a good idea and I hope you're enjoying it.

cheers,

matthew

Archived