CPSL - June 12 2005

obdfan

Oakville Blue Devils - Laval Dynamites 2-1

Oakville Blue Devils continued their successful run in the CPSL with win over Laval Dynamites. Although performance was not as good as the first two games Oakville played, win in the home opener secured another 3 points.

Slow start to the game saw Laval take a lead with shot from just outside the box (it was probably 20 minutes in the game). James Neirmann had no chance in saving the shot.

Oakville tied it up not too long after that. Solo effort from Igor Prostran who got free from his marker, took the ball towards the net and fired a shot from about 20m mark into goalkeepers right hand side.

Winning goal was scored approximately 10 minutes before the final whistle. Cross by Darren Baxter was met by substitute Jamie Fairweather, who headed the ball into the net on the far post.

Result of the Sunday June 12th, 2005 CPSL game between Brampton Stallions and London City played at Victoria Park in Brampton at 7:00pm.

33 min...London City Karim Ben Sari GOAL...LC Gentjan Dervishi takes free kick from 35 yards on left sideline and Ben Sari on diving header connects from 7 yards and puts it into left corner of net beyond goalie Roy Blanche.

Final Score:............Brampton Stallions............0...........London City..........1..........

Attendance was about 100 on this home debut of the Brampton Stallions on this extremely hot and humid evening. Things were a bit disorganized as there was no working scoreboard and no substitute cards to hold up to show time added and who should come off. The players had to yell over for who they were replacing. They had a DJ with his turntable but it was me that ended up reading out the line-ups as he was either too shy or badly effected by his asthma in this weather so I did it.

Haidar Al-Shaibani earned the shutout for London City and he made some good saves to do it. Both he and Stallions goalie Roy Blanche played aggressively charging forward for crosses or out of the box to make clearances. The game was actually very even with each team having numerous chances. It was pretty rough with City lining up Adolfo Mella or goalie Roy Blanche for nudges. Referee Joe Fletcher therefore called more free kicks for the Stallions. Erik Elmauer earned a Yellow card for hip checking the goalie out of his box about two minutes after costing them a free kick. Nothing special about that except maybe that's one theory his nickname is 'Hammer'. Stallions Daniel Cerros earned the worst card in injury time for a hand to the face on Dennis Peeters just outside the center circle. London wisely held their cool or there could have been an all out brawl.

I wondered who would be on the Stallions because I've seen so many of last year's Brampton Hitmen playing for teams I've seen so far this year. The Stallions only had three players on their bench while City brought the maximum seven substitutes. Roy Blanche in net, Milodrag Akmadzic (wow he was the oldest player in the league about three years ago) and Alvaro Yaques in defence, brothers Adolfo and Kurt Mella, and Maximillian Andrada, Daniel Cerros and Jusif Jawando were who I remember from last year. Mladen Dikic from Toronto Croatia two years ago was also on their roster. Head coach (I had to ask around because it wasn't on the line-up) was Dennis Devonish. He was pretty quiet, nothing like the frantic Harry Paul Gauss and the entire City bench. Home team colours are all black which look good but they must be hot when the sun is out.

Julian Carr was on the London bench as one of the staff coaches. Some may remember him as the co-host of last year's "This Week On The CPSL". The show is not on the air this year and Carr said it was because the owners didn't come up with the financing.

London City now has 3 wins in 4 games which is identical to last year's record. Time to update the City web page without last year's star Paul Munster? Stallions had tied their previous game on Friday night.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:
Cross by Darren Baxter was met by substitute Jamie Fairweather, who headed the ball into the net on the far post.

quote:

Its a shame such talent is being wasted in the CPSL. He was the best player for the Lynx last season, and I still dont have a clue why the 2nd year of his contract was not honored.[xx(]

Quote:

Rocket Robin

Posted - 06/06/2005 : 00:19:57

This was the inaugural game for the Oakville Blue Devils who were the Metro Lions in 2004. Many of the players played with other teams last year. Let's see...Darren Baxter, Igor Prostran, and Aaron Steele from the A-League Toronto Lynx last year along with coaches Duncan Wilde and Billy Steele. Gabriel Pop Salustius, Kevin Ricketts, and Maxim Dorneval from the Metro Lions, captain Phil Ionadi, Lovemore Ncube, Nicholas Poku, and Angel Velazquez from Brampton Hitmen, Domico Coddington from Durham Storm.

Ivan:

I don’t know details. He is apparently one of the goalies in the Premier or Lynx soccer academy. He is probably 6’5”, blond hair, around 17-19 years old. He is very good keeper. In the program for the game his name is spelled: James Neirmann.

hamiltonfan:

I believe there were 400 to 500 people. But that is my estimate, so don’t hold me for a word. Bleachers on the side of the pitch were filled pretty well, as well there were people sitting on the grass behind goal. I though that there will be more kids from Oakville Soccer Club, but it was older crowd at the opener that outnumbered kids.

I just grabbed my own quotes from another thread from last week about restrictions on playing their young goalie (I guess they got clearance eventually or he waived his scholarship) and my questions to Darren Baxter.

.....................................................................................

The only uncertainty was in net where the Blue Devils started Hermes Juarez who looked nervous for the first 30 minutes of the game but then settled in quite well. Maybe his saves were exaggerated but better safe than sorry. Blue Devils head coach Duncan Wilde says Juarez was chosen on short notice and had never played a CPSL game before. They were going to use their Under-19 goaltender but he had to back out Friday because of a problem that could arise with his NCAA scholarship. The team is waiting to sign Brian Rowlands who has just finished up his season with the MISL indoor league.

I spoke with Darren Baxter at the end of the game asking why he wasn't in England. He did go over there (his home country) and played for Queen's Park Rangers reserves. He got a promise that he could come back and play for the Lynx again but when he got here coach Hubert Busby Jr said the Lynx had filled their import quota. Baxter is staying with Oakville at the invitation of the coach so he can stay in shape and be ready for another try in England. Just having talked with Busby earlier today and knowing the meat-grinder of players going through that team, I told Baxter he'd be smart NOT going back with the Lynx. Still those smoothly threaded passes of Baxter's are missing from the Lynx midfield this year.

Archived