MLS pulls out of San Antonio expansion plans

Loud Mouth Soup

I've never really understood why they would want Toronto over Montreal. The core of the Impact (with 4 or 5 upgrades) could compete in MLS. The core of the team could stay together, plus you already have a fan base. If the Impact are getting 8,000+ for A-league soccer I'd imagine that could get 13,000+ for MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I've never really understood why they would want Toronto over Montreal. The core of the Impact (with 4 or 5 upgrades) could compete in MLS. The core of the team could stay together, plus you already have a fan base. If the Impact are getting 8,000+ for A-league soccer I'd imagine that could get 13,000+ for MLS.

Garber wants cities that have white collar support and the potential for TV contracts.

Montreal doesn't have that. Toronto does.

Because the Toronto market is Canada's biggest (5million+) and is the economic/media center of the country, has a large number of soccer fans etc. Importantly, Toronto supports American franchises that are placed here. NBA, MLB are doing fine here while they failed in Montreal and Vancouver. So all these economic factors, and not the Impact's wonderful success on the field are what the MLS is looing for it would appear. I suspect that Toronto would be the test-case, and hopefully once it is successful here the MLS will feel comfortable to place teams in Montreal and Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Because the Toronto market is Canada's biggest (5million+) and is the economic/media center of the country, has a large number of soccer fans etc. Importantly, Toronto supports American franchises that are placed here. NBA, MLB are doing fine here while they failed in Montreal and Vancouver. So all these economic factors, and not the Impact's wonderful success on the field are what the MLS is looing for it would appear. I suspect that Toronto would be the test-case, and hopefully once it is successful here the MLS will feel comfortable to place teams in Montreal and Vancouver.

Yet Kerrfoot and Saputo have said no to MLS and MLSE certainly wouldn't want other Canadian teams comming in and taking a bit of the profits (if any).

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Well, Kerfoot has not ruled out MLS but is unlikely to proceed with the MLS ownership structure the way it is now.

Would MLS be willing to give up the ownership structure in the future?

Not likely.

Archived