Lars Hirshfeld released by Leicester

NE

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

This does not surprise me given the fact that the club made an announcement last Friday that they opted of going with the Celtic goaltender instead.

If you mean Leicester is going after Celtic keeper Rob Douglas then

they would be better off with Lars, Douglas couldn't save postage

stamps. Make you way up to Glasgow Lars we need a good keeper.

I do not understand why Lars cannot seem to stick anywhere. He has played well in previous loan deals at Luton Town & Gillingham, and again seemed to play well at Leicester when called upon. Dundee Utd was a bit of a disaster, but he does seem to do well in the English Championship.

quote:Originally posted by NE

What would be his chances of getting on with a team

in USL or MLS and get some regular play?

I can't see an MLS team taking a chance on him. Think about it, in three years in the UK he has played a grand total of like 6-7 games( 2 on loan to Luton,a couple for Gillingham, two for Dundee Utd and 1 for Leicester if I am not mistaken). What MLS team would hire someone with so little 1st team experience. I think he has a better chance in the USL, seeing as he already played for Calgary and briefly for Vancouver. The only problem is that the 3 Canadian teams are pretty much set in the keeper position unless Toronto decide that Zagar is not up to snuff(Franks and Sutton are not going to be displaced). If an American team takes him, he will count as a foreign player.

Yallop should leave him off the Gold Cup squad and tell him to sort his career out. Time Lars started to play, whether it's lower division Europe or A-league. This is getting ridiculous.

He's been suspect for Canada for many games and looks very rusty.

Call Sutton and Stamatopolous. If either of them can't make it, call Franks.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yallop should leave him off the Gold Cup squad and tell him to sort his career out. Time Lars started to play, whether it's lower division Europe or A-league. This is getting ridiculous.

Agree with you 100%. Let Sutton play the whole tournament and have one of the others back him up.

He needs to play, I think. Div II, MLS, A-League, or whatever. If only so he can be picked for Canada without the inevitable "He is not playing!" :D

Which is my way of saying, look at the keepers and play the best irespective of club or status. I'd rather the guy who stops shots over the guy who is playing (Lars over Sutton) or who is on the bench but at a higher level (Sutton over Lars). Play the best players. I'd take an inactive Jim Brennan on the bench (if at all) at Norwich over any of the "active" choices.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

But whatever you do don't call Fernandes.

That is what I call consistent, WF.

Isn't Fernandes playing at a higher level then any other Canadian keeper? I agree with Jeffrey that this kid deserves a look. Having not even seen him play, I'd actually rate him 1st out of all our keepers, based on club level alone. The only keeper who deserves to be chosen ahead of him is Sutton because of experience. Lars hasn't played regularly enough, plus there are many difficiencies to his game that we all try to look past because we rememeber his past glories. Kenny S. plays in such a low level that he must only be used as a last resort.

I'll be disappointed if Fernandes doesn't get a look this summer.

If Fernandes was playing for an English League 1 team, the posters on this board would be coming in their pants.

Level of play matters less for keepers than it does for other positions because the position of keeper is 90% timing, concentration and reading the game. My preference is therefore to go with Sutton because of his experience, his good performance against Northern Ireland and that fact that he plays regularly (at least for four months of the year, but those four months happen to coincide witht the Gold Cup so lucky us).

I'm in favour of giving Fernandez a look, but not in the summer when he's in his off-season. I'd rather call him for a friendly in the fall or winter. (Maybe Greece needs a sparring partner?) Lars shouldn't be called for the Gold Cup because he needs to be free to go on trials with clubs in Europe over the summer.

Franks or Stamatopoulos will be fine as backups to Sutton in the Gold Cup - both are relatively young and will be in-season. My preference would be to call up Kenny S and give him the start in the friendly against Honduras because Kenny has sacrificed a lot in his career to come to the national team when called upon and hasn't been rewarded with too much playing time so I think it would be a nice gesture to start him against Honduras. Then again, Franks has battled back from a lot of adversity in his career so it'd be nice to see him called up too. Either would be fine with me.

Why was Lars originally released from Spurs in the EPL as I thought he was doing really well with their reserves. Some of the comments on his reserve matches were like "he made world class saves". Has Lars totally lost confidence in himself and if so why? Any Spurs fans know the reasons?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

But whatever you do don't call Fernandes.

That is what I call consistent, WF.

Yes it's very consistent, so don't expect to see him called.

Fernandes deserves his shot and I would love to see him play. That said, it's not like he's the starting keeper at PAOK. What has he played, 2 first team matches this year ? As far as reserve teams go, Lars will be playing at a higher level until DF can break into the first team on a regular basis, so at this point there's not a huge difference.

That said, we have seen what Lars can do (and I'm not convinced), now let's give some of the other keepers a chance (including DF).

Archived