Toronto Sun: Lynx Hunt for Support

Elias

The cynic in me thinks they want a new CSL because they would not make it in the MLS.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/05/11/1034832.html

Lynx hunt for support

By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

May 11, 2005

David DiPlacido has played more games in a Toronto Lynx uniform than any other player but still wonders whether the club will ever garner more interest.

"It's a little disheartening when everyone is working hard (in practice) and you come to the games and there's not really the crowd you wish for," said DiPlacido, a Newmarket native. "Other teams throughout the league get more support. A few years back, we went pretty far into the playoffs and (the support) did not increase much."

There's not exactly a buzz in the air as the Lynx prepares for its home opener on Sunday, when the defending champion Montreal Impact visits Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke. And it's not because the Lynx stumbled on a six-game trip to begin the United Soccer League season, failing to secure one victory with a 0-4-2 record. DiPlacido, who has played 171 games for the Lynx since he was a rookie in 1998, said a new stadium could be part of the answer.

As the players practised and scrimmaged during media day yesterday at Centennial Park, assistant coach Lyndon Hooper lamented the lack of support the team receives.

"I say wait and see until this generation grows up," Hooper, the older brother of Canadian female soccer star Charmaine Hooper, said. "I think it will always be a tough sell in this part of the world."

Incidentally, both Di-Placido and Hooper figured a pro soccer league comprised only of Canadian teams, with a team in Toronto, would be a better option than a Toronto franchise in Major League Soccer.

Nonetheless, the players' biggest concern is what's happening on the pitch.

With the proper guidance under first-year coach Hubert Busby Jr., Hooper believes a playoff berth is attainable. The Lynx has not been in the post-season since 2000.

"You look at the record, you might think otherwise, but we expect good things," Hooper said. "I think as the (28-game) season comes to an end, we will be in the playoff picture."

With, DiPlacido hopes, some people behind them.

"I have seen progress as the years go on, but the team's results help," Di-Placido said.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

The cynic in me thinks they want a new CSL because they would not make it in the MLS.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/05/11/1034832.html

Lynx hunt for support

By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

May 11, 2005

David DiPlacido has played more games in a Toronto Lynx uniform than any other player but still wonders whether the club will ever garner more interest.

"It's a little disheartening when everyone is working hard (in practice) and you come to the games and there's not really the crowd you wish for," said DiPlacido, a Newmarket native. "Other teams throughout the league get more support. A few years back, we went pretty far into the playoffs and (the support) did not increase much."

There's not exactly a buzz in the air as the Lynx prepares for its home opener on Sunday, when the defending champion Montreal Impact visits Centennial Park Stadium in Etobicoke. And it's not because the Lynx stumbled on a six-game trip to begin the United Soccer League season, failing to secure one victory with a 0-4-2 record. DiPlacido, who has played 171 games for the Lynx since he was a rookie in 1998, said a new stadium could be part of the answer.

As the players practised and scrimmaged during media day yesterday at Centennial Park, assistant coach Lyndon Hooper lamented the lack of support the team receives.

"I say wait and see until this generation grows up," Hooper, the older brother of Canadian female soccer star Charmaine Hooper, said. "I think it will always be a tough sell in this part of the world."

Incidentally, both Di-Placido and Hooper figured a pro soccer league comprised only of Canadian teams, with a team in Toronto, would be a better option than a Toronto franchise in Major League Soccer.

Nonetheless, the players' biggest concern is what's happening on the pitch.

With the proper guidance under first-year coach Hubert Busby Jr., Hooper believes a playoff berth is attainable. The Lynx has not been in the post-season since 2000.

"You look at the record, you might think otherwise, but we expect good things," Hooper said. "I think as the (28-game) season comes to an end, we will be in the playoff picture."

With, DiPlacido hopes, some people behind them.

"I have seen progress as the years go on, but the team's results help," Di-Placido said.

Read tyhat article today with some amusement. Diplacido wonders

why the Lynx have so few supporters, yet the same article reminds us,

that the LYNX have not made the playoffs since 2000, maybe that will tell him why. the soccer community in Toronto is a large one and

does not consider the USL a worthy product of their hand earned cash.

And one can't blame them, the players are not house hold names, the

stadium the LYNX play in is to far out of the way for even the most

loyal of supporters, the ownership doesn't seem to care about it's

on/off field image, except when MLS is mentioned then they start whinning. Hooper and Diplacido should know a total Canadian league

has been done before twice and failed, so what makes them think it

would work now? The MLS may not be the English Premiership, but is

far ahead of anything the USL or a Canadian league could put on the

field.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Well, with York pulling out officially from the stadium, the Lynx have no hope of a decent stadium to call their home. Therefore they will continue to be ignored as the fourth rate product they are.

Yes, a point which seems to have been lost on them when they were complaining. They were being gifted with a stadium by the CSA, the Government and York, and they were complaining about that. Now that its been taken away, are they going to celebrate?

Yes, they were getting a free stadium, but they bitched and whined because they were going to have to share Toronto with an MLS team. Well, I guess the Lynx must be feeling great now because despite the minor issue of them not getting a new stadium to ressurect their laughable image in, the important thing is the MLS wont be coming to town to siphon away some of their 1500 paying fans. A great victory for the Lynx and soccer in Toronto it would appear.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Yes, they were getting a free stadium, but they bitched and whined because they were going to have to share Toronto with an MLS team. Well, I guess the Lynx must be feeling great now because despite the minor issue of them not getting a new stadium to ressurect their laughable image in, the important thing is the MLS wont be coming to town to siphon away some of their 1500 paying fans. A great victory for the Lynx and soccer in Toronto it would appear.

Let the Lynx know how you feel, i've just sent them a letter

telling them why i won't be back as a supporter and how i feel

they have been lacking as a professional organization. Even

money says i don't get a reply.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

And when U of T and/or York U build a more modest 5000 seat stadium, the Lynx will be right there to move in as a tenant.

5000 seats on the old Varsity site...sounds perfect for them.

Yeah, I'll believe those stadiums when I see them as well. I'm so glad the Lynx have been waiting for years for a 5000 seat capacity stadium that they would be tenants in. That makes it all the worthwhile.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, I'll believe those stadiums when I see them as well. I'm so glad the Lynx have been waiting for years for a 5000 seat capacity stadium that they would be tenants in. That makes it all the worthwhile.

Ya exactly.

BTW, Robin, I don't know if a move downtown would be beneficial for the Lynx. While they don't have enough fans, they have established their location as being Centennial.

Remember what happened to the Blizzard when they moved from Centennial to Varsity for their APSL season. They lost their fans. They drew maybe 20% of what they had at Centennial.

db

I don't know the stadiums situation in Toronto

I think the Lynx should move where there's a high density of population and focus on that town in order to have regular fans (+ the T.U-Sector of course ;))

If nobody lives downtown, it's perhaps not a good idea to move there

But to be in a no man's land suburb is worse

Archived