Swangard Stadium Potential

Burnaby's Swangard Stadium is situated on the west edge of a large urban park, with busy, major streets to the west and north. To the immediate east is a small 75 car parking lot, and then a picnic area and several mature fir and cedar trees. The view from the grandstand is quite nice on a spring evening. There is actually room to put a new grandstand on the east side of the ground, but the parking lot would be lost, and the view of the trees would be at least partially obscured.

As for increasing the stadium's capacity, there is no problem with putting in temporary seating. Both the north and south areas behind the goal are presently large, empty spaces with lots of room for bleachers. To be a good layout, the bleachers need to be placed very close to the field as in most stadiums around the world. A mistake made in the past is to put the bleachers far away from the pitch (50 metres) on the other side of the running track and up against the north and south fences. For example, at the WCQ games in Vancouver, there were no seats at all behind the goals. One could watch from about 30 metres away and stand, or sit on a bleacher about 50 metres behind the goal. It was ridiculous. Closer seating is essential.

There are already small wooden bleachers on the east side of the ground, but the capacity is small(700 -1000?). Again, larger bleachers could easily be installed close to the pitch and this would create a fabulous environment. It's up to the CSA and other organizers to create the best ground for the 2007 WC.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I agree Swangard could be expanded. However the parks department and city have made it clear that they do not want it expanded on a permanent basis.[V]

Which for me is a problem. I'd like to see some lasting legacy for this tournament out there, even I never personally get a chance to avail myself of the new facilities.

quote:Originally posted by snake

on the burnaby new west border there is a stadium with a 1500 seat grandstand and a running track.also would it not be more easy to expand thunderbird stadium?

From a legacy point of view for pro soccer, Thunderbird would be a crappy place for the Whitecaps to play. It is too non-central for it to work. Sure it's a nice area with room to expand but if I lived in Surrey or North Vancouver I'd hate to shlep out there.

quote:Originally posted by Danny Boy

From a legacy point of view for pro soccer, Thunderbird would be a crappy place for the Whitecaps to play. It is too non-central for it to work. Sure it's a nice area with room to expand but if I lived in Surrey or North Vancouver I'd hate to shlep out there.

i meant an expanded thunderbird just for the WYC.

Archived