What does it take top be in the top 30?

Derosario23

for all of you that believe that dwaye can make an impact heres a great goal by derosario who will shoulder the load at the gold cup as long as frank yallop puts him in man that coach sucks enjoy it's the first on the page aprl 17 http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/41/ and heres his goal of the year if you havent already seen it http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/

enjoy my fellow supporters

Unfortunately I have the answers. We dont have talent, we dont have the coach, we dont have the staduims, and im not talking about swanguard despite it being a great Small field, and fan support at games, when there are games, is embarrassing. The only good thing about the federation is the Voyageurs :D....except for the beast

The biggest thing we lack is a quality attacking midfielder. We also lack a capable central defence pairing, a reliable keeper, and depth. Finally, our manager is still trying to find his legs at the international level.

What do we need to get their?

1) Yallop to hasten his way up the learning curve;

2) DeGuzman the younger fulfilling his promise and choosing Canada;

3) Yallop to figure out who his best 19-21 players are;

4) One of the younger keepers to emerge, and take hold of the number 1 for the next 6-8 years;

5) That Marco Reda, Kevin McKenna, Nevio Pizzolitto and The other Impact CD whose name momentarily escapes me drop to 5 through 8 on the depth chart of Central Defenders; That means Klukowski playing consistently at the level he has shown the last couple of times out, Nsaliwa being the real deal in this position, and Hainault and Edgar and/or others emerging;

6) One more player to join Brennan, Jazic and Simpson on the left side. De Jong may be the guy;

7) Two more players to join Staletri and Hutchinson on the Right side...Peters may be one;

8) Canada to play as minimum of 10 matches per year;

9) Canada to show well in the next two Gold Cups and qualifiy for the next World Cup - Rankings are an 8 year measurement so Canada needs to put together 3 very good years to hit 30.

Lots of ???'s there... The only positions that I think we currently have top 30 talent and depth would be Def. Mid and forwards. Add to that, we have top 30 starters, or close to it, on both the right and left sides, but no depth in the even of injury. Central Defence is a mess and the keepers haven't yet shown they can do the job. Nor has Yallop, but I equate him as a young player with potential, so he could yet emerge as an international quality manager. But he could also be Wyn Bellot if he is not learning from his mistake.

Guest Jeffery S.

Considering our last World Juniors performance showed good level in all lines, the question is how to take up our senior level.

To have a successful senior team you usually need a couple players with great talent, a quality sub per position that will not mean a drop in level, and very rigourous coaching, especially in defense and positional play, including set plays. Once you get close to this you have to keep the basic block intact and let them play together repeatedly, introducing only minor changes along the way. As long as the thing is working.

Right now we do not have a quality keeper. We are weak in the middle of the defense, especially with de Vos gone. Hopefully Reda and Klukowski can pick up a bit of the slack. On the outside not having a high level is less signficant, you could have merely competent workhorse defensive players on the outside backs and still get along.

Our midfield should be our strongest zone. In fact our ball possession has really improved over the years. I'd like to see another good ball handler, and maybe a stronger defensive tackler.

In attack, the real problem is that Radz has never lived up to his potential for us. DeRo is limited in talent, while having to rely on a young 3rd tier Hume is a bit much, since he never sees world quality defenders in League One.

So I am not too optimistic in the short term. For now, it is all about finding the players, and while that side is lacking the rest is moot.

The CSA has done nothing major to help improve the mens program and this

must change if we are to improve anytime soon. Without sounding like an

broken record, Yallop must go. We need a keeper capable of being no. 1.

and one who does not let in soft goals. Strikers will always be Canada's

weakness unless we start producing them, at the MLS or A-league levels.

Gordon, I may have missed it,, but when did John Deguzman ever promise to play for Canada???? I remember a litte article a few months back where Julian said one day the two brothers would like to play together but was there something else said that I missed??

Yes, Daniel has figured what I meant to say. That was a two part point: Fulfilling his promise/potential as a player; and in addition choosing to play for Canada rather than Holland. I really shouldn't post before I have had two cups of coffee :)

What does it take top be in the top 30? That's an extremely loaded question.

First the team and its supporters have to respect themselves. That we can.

Then they MUST play together for at least 10 games a year. Five must be

against CONCACAF teams, with CONCACAF refs. Get used to crap conditions.

They have to continue playing possession football, like the last game (Portugal).

We have to integrate the young ones into the team, and invite outside opinions

(outside the CSA) to implement improvements.

When we can play like a (good) team and have some success against in tournaments

and in WCQ, we can start getting some results and respect. But we should prep

our team to have the ability to beat the U.S. and Mexico consistently. Until

then, a top 30 ranking, or some respect amongst media and our peers will not occur.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

What does it take top be in the top 30? That's an extremely loaded question.

First the team and its supporters have to respect themselves. That we can.

Then they MUST play together for at least 10 games a year. Five must be

against CONCACAF teams, with CONCACAF refs. Get used to crap conditions.

They have to continue playing possession football, like the last game (Portugal).

We have to integrate the young ones into the team, and invite outside opinions

(outside the CSA) to implement improvements.

When we can play like a (good) team and have some success against in tournaments

and in WCQ, we can start getting some results and respect. But we should prep

our team to have the ability to beat the U.S. and Mexico consistently. Until

then, a top 30 ranking, or some respect amongst media and our peers will not occur.

ya your right but this country only is interested in hockey when they ralize that soccer is international then maybe we can get the ball rolling

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The biggest thing we lack is a quality attacking midfielder. We also lack a capable central defence pairing, a reliable keeper, and depth. Finally, our manager is still trying to find his legs at the international level.

What do we need to get their?

1) Yallop to hasten his way up the learning curve;

2) DeGuzman the younger fulfilling his promise and choosing Canada;

3) Yallop to figure out who his best 19-21 players are;

4) One of the younger keepers to emerge, and take hold of the number 1 for the next 6-8 years;

5) That Marco Reda, Kevin McKenna, Nevio Pizzolitto and The other Impact CD whose name momentarily escapes me drop to 5 through 8 on the depth chart of Central Defenders; That means Klukowski playing consistently at the level he has shown the last couple of times out, Nsaliwa being the real deal in this position, and Hainault and Edgar and/or others emerging;

6) One more player to join Brennan, Jazic and Simpson on the left side. De Jong may be the guy;

7) Two more players to join Staletri and Hutchinson on the Right side...Peters may be one;

8) Canada to play as minimum of 10 matches per year;

9) Canada to show well in the next two Gold Cups and qualifiy for the next World Cup - Rankings are an 8 year measurement so Canada needs to put together 3 very good years to hit 30.

Lots of ???'s there... The only positions that I think we currently have top 30 talent and depth would be Def. Mid and forwards. Add to that, we have top 30 starters, or close to it, on both the right and left sides, but no depth in the even of injury. Central Defence is a mess and the keepers haven't yet shown they can do the job. Nor has Yallop, but I equate him as a young player with potential, so he could yet emerge as an international quality manager. But he could also be Wyn Bellot if he is not learning from his mistake.

and also have more fan suppport i mean lets face it in canada its hockey and football when ppl realize that soccer is international then maybe they will realize that they have to start paying attention to soccer in canada what do u think about oliver ocean i think he doesnt fit the bill [8D]

quote:Originally posted by CUJO

First off, we will never get the World Cup (soon). Secondly, I am noticing a lot of "talent" (from my point of view) In our schools, youth clubs, I think. We could get a good team in the future. Could.

Uhh...

yes we will in 2014 fifa is looking into it they will see how the youth 2007 goes the olympic stadium can hold and toronto is builing a new stadium man have faith we will be in 2010 as long as yallop gets fired [8D]

quote:Originally posted by way2goeh

Unfortunately I have the answers. We dont have talent, we dont have the coach, we dont have the staduims, and im not talking about swanguard despite it being a great Small field, and fan support at games, when there are games, is embarrassing. The only good thing about the federation is the Voyageurs :D....except for the beast

have faith all we need is for frank yallop to get fired we do have talent check out dwayne derosarios mls goal of the year and we have bright young stars so dont get too discouraged yet my friend http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/ enjoy

quote:Originally posted by LMW

We lack talent, a league of our own, fan support, and unfortunately, disgraceful incompetant leadership at the CSA.

ya your right but we have lots of takent its just inexperienced http://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/ derosario had become our only real threat check his goal out and i have another for u as an example of some of our talenthttp://sanjose.earthquakes.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2004/sierra/41/

april 17 its the first goal enjoy my friend

Derosario23:

1. Some of the stuff you posted was inappropriate, even as a joke, and has been deleted. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Please don't do it again.

2. Do not change the topic of a thread once people have begun discussing the original topic.

3. When you reply to a post by clicking on icon_reply_topic.gif, you see something like the following, except the { and } are replaced by [ and ]:

{quote}{i}Originally posted by DJT{/i}
{br}This is where DJT's original post appears. Blah blah.
Blah blah.
Blah.
{/quote}[/code]

Type your reply after all that stuff. Don't type your reply in the middle of it.

4. Before clicking "Submit Reply", try clicking "Preview Reply". If what you see looks horrible, fix it before clicking "Submit Reply".

What does it take top be in the top 30?

---

Answer:

If you want to find the answer to this question, then it makes no sense to look at big European nations, but instead compare yourself to smaller European countries like e.g. Scandinavia : Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and then wonder why e.g. Sweden and Denmark always seem to stay in top 25 on the ranking and qualify for so many more big finals and produce much better results than e.g. Norway and Finland...

1) Finland obviously got the weather against them, that makes it difficult to play soccer all that many month a year. Norway and Sweden got a bit of the same problem in compare with Denmark and other more central European countries. Though Sweden ofcause having the advantage of a much bigger population than the other scandinavian countries. I'm not sure how the weather is in Canada, so I'll skip the comparison and move on to :

2)Youth soccer... If you look at the present European U21 NT qualification, then it's obvious, that Denmark is on top when it comes to youth soccer, while Sweden is also doing fairly well, perhaps mostly due to their much bigger population...

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/Under21/Standings/index.html

Also Canada seem to do very well at youth NT level so it's not here we find the problem either...

3)League football... the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish leagues are fairly average European leagues, but still a bit better than e.g. MLS, especially when it comes to pace and/or Tactical skills... The Danish league is what you could call a "development league", producing new players for especially the German and English top leagues. You could also say that Canadian soccer has the same problem as Danish Icehockey, excellent youth NT results but a domestic league that doesnt have the quality to develop the youth players to reach the next level, so that many of them get sold to the big foreign leagues and also get to be regulars...

4) So the real difference is both in the quality of the leagues, but mostly in the amount of players moving abroad and actually getting playing time in European top-flight clubs...

To compare, then Denmark got 68 players in other European top-flight clubs, with atleast 2/3 of them being either in the starting 11 or getting some playing time... If you e.g. look at another European country with a more than 10 times larger population, a better league but not quite as good NT results over the years, Turkey, then they now finally have managed get around 45 player or so in foreign top and lower level leagues...

So here is your problem... Canada neither got the domestic league quality to develop the youth players, to make enough of them real interesting for the big league clubs in Europe and therefore dont have the players needed (being regulars in the European top-flight clubs) to reach a level that will bring the NT close to top 30 and also manage stay there...

Archived