Pope John Paul II

Polish_LYNX_Fan

His condition is worst and he lost conciessne but has regained it. I know not all of us are Roman Catholic but if you could say a pray for him, Half the worlds population ahs only known one Pope and he has done soo much not only for the roman catholic church but for humanity. Muslims in France have gathered to pray, this is beigger than religion he was a man of peace we should remember that no matter waht our faith is.

Farewell, Holy Father. In time we shall meet.

P.S. I think it's common knowledge what a phsyical outdoorsy sort of chap this man is/was, especially as a younger man. Was a footballer of some skill. 'Keeper in fact which explains a few things. Got to be at least a bit batty to play keep. Completely batty to allow yourself to be elected Pope. But did anyone know he played hockey?

Just seen a bit on the television. Took a puck above the eye and left that mark you can sometimes see if the light hits his face just right. Very cool.

a fascinating, remarkable, amazing man. well educated, multi- lingual worldly and genuinely kind. a great leader not only for the church but for humanity. a prime example of pure goodness. Certainly the only Pope ive ever known, and will definately be tough shoes to fill. Fitting he lived through Easter and returned to the one he served his whole life.

Rest in peace Holy Father

I dont know if you guys have notice but many soccer websites practiclly all in Italy and Poland have changed their main page and are suspending all activity until further notice.

example of my local IVdiv club

www.luzyce.luban.com.pl

if you want more just visit any Italian website you will get the same responce more or less. Also one of teh biggest rivarie in poland and europe Wisla Krakow v.s. Cracovia Krakow, where fans die in fights, and violence is very evidant. These two teams along with a smaller III div side from Krakow have called it even no more HATE, a mass is being celebrated @ the CRACOVIA grounds and fnas from all 3 teams are invited, the "HOLY WAR" as this feud has been called for about 100 years is OVER.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And if you truly believe it's all his and the church's fault, well...

Of course I do NOT at all think so! There are many reasons for the spread of aids: Western countries keeping their budgets down or Thabo Mbeki through still denying this disease.

But being pope brings with it a huge responsability for the people who believe his words are heaven send, so he could have made it better by allowing condoms.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Contraception or not, its still a risk, the best way to prevent it is dont do it, stick to one mate, mate!

What's your definition of "risk"? I mean, studies have proven that there are a # of reasons for the rapid spread of HIV -> the least of which is protective sex (even if it is promiscuous). So if by "risk" you mean "essentially no risk", then I agree fully.

I don't know the context of the pope's speach that "Tim St.Pauli" is referring to when the Pope said this, but sounds like he was using a deadly disease to promote Christianity. [:o)] Was he?

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

amacpher, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

The pope declared abotion and artifical contraceptives "illegal" or against the will of god, which helped the disease to spread, esp. in Southern Africa.

Still confused. How does the Pope declaring that help make the disease spread?

amacpher, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

The pope declared abotion and artifical contraceptives "illegal" or against the will of god, which helped the disease to spread, esp. in Southern Africa.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Because humans are humans and boinking as early and as often as we can is human nature. So far more catholics heed the no birth control edict (bc takes pre-planning, if even only the purchase of condoms) than practice abstinence (breaking abstinence is hardwired into us, can be a spur of the moment thing, takes no pre-planning, and may even be a result of exhuberent celebration of the Catholic Faith {excess of the sacremental wine :D).

Essentially, one takes faith - and a belief of the Sodom and Gomorrah examples/allegories/fables - to the extreme of forbidding a realistic mitigating practice which admititedly runs contrary to the faith. Bearing in mind that Birth Control did not exist when the Bible was written and the edict forbidding it is based on at least debatable interpretation, I'd say the criticism is warranted. Of course, John Paul either knows the truth (god exists and his ineffable plan has been revealed) by now or is blissfully ignorant of his error (god does not exist and JP II is merely fertilizer).

As for me, well JP II helped speed my abandonment of the Catholic faith. It may have happened anyway, but his attacks on liberation theololgy early in his tenure help me realize that the Catholic Church generally had little to offer to me. Interesting, because the writing in the Priaire Messenger, the Catholic Church's newsletter in Saskatchewan - possible the prairies generally - has some of the most progessive and humanistic representations of chrisitianity around. Its a pity that these philosophies were an anathema to the polish prince. I might still be brunching Sunday mornings at St. Paul's Cathedral. And hey, this being Saskatchewan, its the only place to get wine before noon!

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Because humans are humans and boinking as early and as often as we can is human nature. So far more catholics heed the no birth control edict (bc takes pre-planning, if even only the purchase of condoms) than practice abstinence (breaking abstinence is hardwired into us, can be a spur of the moment thing, takes no pre-planning, and may even be a result of exhuberent celebration of the Catholic Faith {excess of the sacremental wine :D).

Essentially, one takes faith - and a belief of the Sodom and Gomorrah examples/allegories/fables - to the extreme of forbidding a realistic mitigating practice which admititedly runs contrary to the faith. Bearing in mind that Birth Control did not exist when the Bible was written and the edict forbidding it is based on at least debatable interpretation, I'd say the criticism is warranted. Of course, John Paul either knows the truth (god exists and his ineffable plan has been revealed) by now or is blissfully ignorant of his error (god does not exist and JP II is merely fertilizer).

As for me, well JP II helped speed my abandonment of the Catholic faith. It may have happened anyway, but his attacks on liberation theololgy early in his tenure help me realize that the Catholic Church generally had little to offer to me. Interesting, because the writing in the Priaire Messenger, the Catholic Church's newsletter in Saskatchewan - possible the prairies generally - has some of the most progessive and humanistic representations of chrisitianity around. Its a pity that these philosophies were an anathema to the polish prince. I might still be brunching Sunday mornings at St. Paul's Cathedral. And hey, this being Saskatchewan, its the only place to get wine before noon!

Thank you for finding a final answer to amacphers nervy questions. amacpher, are you living on an lonly island somewhere?

How could the world pass you by while living in NYC?!? Or did I hurt some religious feelings? If so, I am sorry, I didn't meant to. I just don't like the "never-say-anything-bad-of-dead-people-doctrine" and I never liked his birth-control-edict. So, may this topic rest in peace!

Thank you for finding a final answer to amacphers nervy questions. amacpher, are you living on an lonly island somewhere?

Actually yes.

quote:

How could the world pass you by while living in NYC?!?

I guess with being at the center of the universe I see lots of worlds flying by. But I can't be bothered with following everything that ever came out of the Pope's mouth.

Suffice to say, I wasn't bored enough to watch 120 hours straight of Pope coverage last week to get "caught-up" on everything he said. Based on your tone (of thinking that these were earth-shattering comments made by the Pope), you weren't as fortunate.

quote:

Or did I hurt some religious feelings? If so, I am sorry, I didn't meant to. I just don't like the "never-say-anything-bad-of-dead-people-doctrine" and I never liked his birth-control-edict. So, may this topic rest in peace!

Great. I just didn't know what the heck you were talking about. Personally I doubt that condom use was so high in Southern Africa before the Pope opened his mouth on the subject.

Archived