Grande and Braz sign new deals with the Impact

François

from the Impact:

SANDRO GRANDE AND ADAM BRAZ SIGN LONG-TERM DEALS WITH THE IMPACT

MONTREAL, February 4, 2005 - The Montreal Impact announced, Friday, the signing of midfielder Sandro Grande and defender Adam Braz to long-term contracts.

Grande, who was voted Newcomer of the Year with the Impact last season, signed a three-year deal plus a year option while Braz signed a two-year agreement, plus option.

"They are important players who play in key positions and we're pleased to have them back," said Montreal Impact head coach Nick DeSantis. "We concluded long-term deals and it shows their commitment to the team. Sandro brings an amazing dynamic, especially offensively. Adam will solidify our defense, which, each year, is one of the best in the league, especially since Gabriel (Gervais) and Mauricio (Vincello) are still under contract for the 2005 season."

Six years after being the Impact's first-round draft pick, Grande played his first game with Montreal last season, after a career in Italy. In 2004, he started 22 games, for a total of 1902 minutes. He tallied four goals and one assist. Two of his four goals were game-winners: against the Rochester Rhinos, July 7, and against the Charleston Battery, July 28. He was also chosen on the USL First Division First All-Star Team at his inaugural season in North America.

"I'm very pleased to sign with the Impact because I wanted to stay near my family and friends," said Grande. "I hope we will be able to repeat last year's achievement. We'll try to continue what we started."

Adam Braz returned to Montreal last year after playing a season with second division Swedish club Vasteras SK. He played 18 games in 2004 for 1420 minutes of play. The 23-year-old defender made his professional debut with the Impact in 2002, starting 17 games.

"The Impact is probably the best organization in the league and I'm proud to be part of it," said Braz. "We have a great chemistry and we are determined to defend our championship."

-30-

Source : Patrick Vallée, Impact de Montréal

Info : 514-328-3668 (poste 27)

As was the case for Sutton Sandro Grande decided it was best to return to the Impact rather then trying to catch on with an MLS squad. Money wise, the Impact pays interesting salaries relative to the MLS. Its also a first class orginization (training facilities, traveling, salary etc) and in the case of Grande, he gets to play close to friends and Family. Im sure they also considered that they are guaranteed starters with the Impact, which might not be the case with MLS clubs. Greg Sutton as stated he hasn't given up on Europe, and might try again next year, as far as the Impact is concerned, they will never stop a player from improving their situation, regardless of their contract situation. So I guess if Grande also has another great year, he might think of giving Europe another shot.

Has Robbie Arristademo signed with the Pussies ....er I mean Lady Lynx......oh alright The Mighty Toronto Lynx....uh yeah thats it.

If not Peter Pizz might want to give him a shout, while he<s at it Jason Bent would be nice to have aswell.

Archived