TSN Hockey Commentators

Grizzly

Anyone else irritated by the terrible hockey commentating from Miller and McGuire on TSN. Almost as bad as American hockey (or any sport for that matter) commentating or Dobson's job on soccer. I appreciate they are showing so many games but as the tournament goes on these guys are getting more and more on my nerves with their inane and uninformative commentary. Just a small example: why do they have to bitch all night about Montoya's keeping when he is actually having a good game and yet ignore the fact the Swedish goalie is having a stinker until it becomes a rout? They raved and raved about the second goal by Kessel but didn't notice that the goalie was so tight and small against his post that he had half a net to shoot at. In fact the goalie(s) should have stopped all three of Kessel's goals which is not to take away from the plays he made beforehand particularly on the first one. One of them is constantly touting the removal of the red line as the solution to the NHL's problems but I think he should watch some European hockey before forming an opinion. This will produce Czech style, four back and one cherry picker waiting for a long pass, ie. 58 minutes of defence and 2 minutes of exciting breakaways. And then the same guy can comment that the problem with Swedish hockey is that in the last few years everything has been concentrated on defensive strategy! Even Romanuk is better than these guys.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Anyone else irritated by the terrible hockey commentating from Miller and McGuire on TSN. Almost as bad as American hockey (or any sport for that matter) commentating or Dobson's job on soccer. Just a small example: why do they have to bitch all night about Montoya's keeping when he is actually having a good game and yet ignore the fact the Swedish goalie is having a stinker until it becomes a rout? They raved and raved about the second goal by Kessel but didn't notice that the goalie was so tight and small against his post that he had half a net to shoot at. In fact the goalie(s) should have stopped all three of Kessel's goals which is not to take away from the plays he made beforehand particularly on the first one. One of them is constantly touting the removal of the red line as the solution to the NHL's problems but I think he should watch some European hockey before forming an opinion. This will produce Czech style, four back and one cherry picker waiting for a long pass, ie. 58 minutes of defence and 2 minutes of exciting breakaways. And then the same guy can comment that the problem with Swedish hockey is that in the last few years everything has been concentrated on defensive strategy! Even Romanuk is better than these guys.

At first I thought McGuire was refreshing because if someone made a bad play or the referee was terrible, he would actually say so. But then I realized that he pretty much rips on everyone who isn't wearing a Canadian jersey or isn't named Kessel.

Hockey commentators in America are actually much better than the commentators in Canada (overall). The reason is simple: alot of them are Canadian and just went to work south of the border cuz it meant alot more money. So Canada is left with the Romanuks and Millers. I mean compare a Rangers' telecast on MSG to a HNIC broadcast on CBC. HNIC is not even in the same galaxy.

I appreciate they are showing so many games but as the tournament goes on these guys are getting more and more on my nerves with their inane and uninformative commentary.

Actually TSN is not even showing the Russia x USA semifinal match. Instead they show a totally meaningless NFL game. And then people still talk about how much Sportsnet sucks. Amazing.

TSN's hockey guys always sucked. McGuire tries to show great insight by repeating the same stupid point he's trying to make a million times. Miller doesn't have the voice for commentary although he's made to look like the Barry White of TSN when you compare him to Romanuk and Randorf. I don't know what they're trying to achieve, but it always seems like TSN has the most annoying voices in hockey.

quote:

What about Joe Bowen and Harry Neil?

Joe Bowen and Harry Neale aren't employees of TSN. They are employees of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, who produce Leaf telecasts on TSN, Sportsnet and, if there were a season this year, on Leafs TV.

Why don't they get MacKenzie to do the colour instead of only having him on during intermission. He is the only one of the bunch who knows anything. Listening to McGuire, it is amazing a guy like that ever worked as an assistant coach for the Senators or at any capacity in the NHL. Seems to think he will convince everyone about his opinions if he repeats them several times each period. One advantage of the US not making the finals is we don't have to hear over and over that the commentators watched the US practice and that Montoya does not have good practice discipline. Terrible that they did not broadcast the USA-Russia game although they are showing it tomorrow. I bet they would have had far better ratings for that than for the NFL game. Just goes to show that they are showing so much of the tournament because they have nothing else to put on.

Unfortunately I no longer get RDS on basic cable. Are TSN and RDS owned by the same company? It seems whenever they make a stupid decision not to show something on TSN it is still shown on RDS. TSN seems to think us english speaking Canadians are fascinated with American sports and the US in general. I bet you have half decent hockey commentators on RDS as well.

Yeah, the Russia x USA game was great! Especially the first and third periods. A refreshing change from the Czech x Canada game which almost had no creativity at all.

Interesting that about 100% of the Canadian fans at the Russia x USA game cheered for the USA. Strange. I bet if the game was played in the northEast US it would be the complete opposite.

Are TSN and RDS owned by the same company? It seems whenever they make a stupid decision not to show something on TSN it is still shown on RDS. TSN seems to think us english speaking Canadians are fascinated with American sports and the US in general.

I think they're owned by ESPN, thus the American sports angle.

CBC generally produces the best hockey commentary in Canada,

and I agree that TSN is quite inferior. Personally I'm not too

convinced about MSG commentary, especially if John Davidson is

involved ...

And yes RDS and TSN are owned by the same corp.

CTV Inc. owns 14 specialty channels, 21 conventional television stations, music publishing and production houses, as well as CTV Specialty Television Inc. (formerly known as NetStar Communications Inc.) which majority owns TSN, RDS, Discovery Channel and Dome Productions, among other properties. CTV Inc. in turn is owned by Bell Globemedia.

Archived